Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Glitch in Ebay's system!?!? Cards not showing up! Good for buyers, BAD for sellers!

Due to a glitch in Ebay's system, I have $1,000 cards currently selling for $100 because noone can find them! I hope they get the problem fixed soon!!!!

Comments

• Options
    what card? I'll search and see if I can find it...
    Positive and successful transactions with:
    LeagueLeader; IJustLoveCards; Recbball; msassin; leathtech; lsutigers1973; Bosox1976; Dboneesq; Aric; Bkritz
  • Options
    I just tried Topps graded and found 1,383 results just as a test...
    LeagueLeader; IJustLoveCards; Recbball; msassin; leathtech; lsutigers1973; Bosox1976; Dboneesq; Aric; Bkritz
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    I typed in 1971 Kelloggs and got nothing.....
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    The problem has been reported on numerous boards. Looks like it's creeping back to normal. I haven't looked the eBay forums, so I'm not sure what caused it. I'm guessing storm will check in at some point.
  • Options

<< <i>I typed in 1971 Kelloggs and got nothing..... >>

just got 175 results for that

edit to add...

just guessing by looking quickly... this one of yours?
    1971 Kellogg's AL KALINE #44 - PSA 10 (GEM MINT) 1 of 8!
  • Options
    i have 18 items for sale. when i do a search only 13 come up right now; which is an improvement from 6 hours ago when none came up.

if i had items ending today/tonight i would cancel them if they were auctions (dont care about buy it nows) sellers should protect themsevles against potential losses if this continues.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    f*in' idiots at ebay should shut the dam site down when this happens - i remember it was around 4 years ago or so, they had problems on a Sunday night, and i got killed on those auctions - I probably shouldn't have honored the winning bids but I did - stupid on my part but I didn't want any negs.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    I just ran a number of searches for items in sundry cats
    and they all gave me lots of returns.

THAT does NOT mean the thing is fixed.

November 21, 2009 | 09:11PM PST/PT

Search functionality is almost fully restored.

We will be issuing full credits for all affected items for this title search outage as outlined in our site outage policy published here: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/everyone-outage.html.

There is no need to contact us to receive a credit for your affected item. Credits for those items will take several days but should be completed within a week. We understand how important this time of year is for your business and shopping experience and sincerely apologize.

Listing fee credits are hardly an adequate remedy for folks whose items
    sold for almost nada.

If enough sellers refuse to deliver, EBAY will likely remove the NEGs
    that result.

This was a bad one, but not the worst ever.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    I had a 75 set end tonight at 6:40 pm PST, ended at 260, which looks like 80-100 less than very similar sets have sold for over the last month, and lower than I expected.

I don't know if the outage effected the end price in my case.

The buyer had already paid by time I returned home this evening.
  • Options

?
    my searches are not turning up eBay store listings. maybe it's just the items I checked and others are showing up?
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    I had a bunch of cards end tonight, and I got barely anything for them.

Not only do we get screwed on the selling end, but we'll all pay...at least temporarily...when VCP pulls in these stupid low prices.

The bar has been lowered.
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926

<< <i>I had a bunch of cards end tonight, and I got barely anything for them.

Not only do we get screwed on the selling end, but we'll all pay...at least temporarily...when VCP pulls in these stupid low prices.

The bar has been lowered. >>

Maybe VCP and others could put an asterik next to the prices for cards that ended during ebays screwup.

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
    I also had a couple of cards end tonight, both much less than expected of course. image
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    I won 2 out of 6 auctions I bid on last night, and the 2 I won weren't "steals".

One was a $5 gold coin for about $125 that usually sells for $125-150, the other was a 10 gram gold bar for about $375 that usually sells for $375-500.

All 4 that I lost went to live bidders as far as I can tell.

Not sure if the sellers will sell the items to me and I'm not going to blame them if they don't. I'm glad I had nothing ending last night!
  • Options
    You know...I never really thought about this dragging the VCP average down!! That's freaking great (sarcasm)!!!! I can see all the prospective bidders/snipers now setting their snipes lower due to the lack of "demand" on the card....what a nightmare!
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    It's still not really fixed. Getting about 20% returns of what is normally shows up in my everyday searches.

I was gonna list some stuff today too image
  • Options
    PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    IMO, eBay knew about the glitches and should have automatically EXTENDED all auctions until everything was fixed.

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Do people really search "ending soonest"? I had all my snipes set for the last 2-3days...won none image Items still appeared in snipe programs and "my ebay watching"
  • Options

<< <i>IMO, eBay knew about the glitches and should have automatically EXTENDED all auctions until everything was fixed. >>

///////////////////////////////////////

EBAY often knows of potential problems well in advance
    of an actual failure.

Their patchwork of old/new machines needs to be tossed
    and replaced.

Last night, there were many reports of only partial store inventories
    being visible in search returns.

A store with 1000 items listed might only have returned 600 items.

Not all of a seller's listings are always indexed on one machine.

A listing-extension of less than five-to-seven days would not likely
    be a fair remedy for last night's shutdown.

EBAY really needs to change their policy on ending listings early.
    Sellers could escape harm during a serious glitch, if they were
    allowed to cancel listings with less than 12-hours to run.

//////////////

AuctionBytes.com

eBay Outage Leaves Holiday Shoppers (and Sellers) in the Lurch
    By Ina Steiner
    AuctionBytes.com
    November 21, 2009

eBay Outage Leaves Holiday Shoppers (and Sellers) in the Lurch

Problems with eBay search on Saturday morning turned into a complete search outage by noon. Shoppers were unable to find items through searching for items or by browsing categories. eBay said the problem was due to errors in some of its backend systems in a post on its System Announcement Board. The problem is affecting eBay.com and at least some of its international websites, including eBay UK.

Users began complaining of the problem on eBay discussion boards, and users also tweeted the problem using the hashtag #fail on Twitter.

eBay's outage policy affects only listings scheduled to end during the outage or in the hour after the end of the outage.

Sellers are less concerned about listing fees than they are about lost sales. Outages such as these are particularly painful for sellers of auction format listings where a seller may be obligated to sell to the highest bidder even though nobody else could find the auction listing.

The search outage was ongoing at 3 pm PST as we went to press with this story.

eBay Blames Search Outage on Listings Surge
    By Ina Steiner
    AuctionBytes.com
    November 21, 2009

eBay Blames Search Outage on Listings Surge

eBay issued a statement to AuctionBytes this evening after a glitch caused a major outage to its search and browse functions that left shoppers unable to find listings. According to company spokesperson John Pluhowski, "The unanticipated technical issue resulted from a surge in live listings as sellers ramp up for the holiday season." According to Pluhowski, eBay had over 200 million live listings, 33 percent more than at this time a year ago. He went on to state that full functionality should be restored by Sunday, as the fix for the technical issue was being implemented across the site.

Mr. Pluhowski said the 200 million live listings refers to eBay.com - Auctions, fixed price, and SIF (Store Inventory format).

He did not explain how a 33 percent increase in listings could bring the site to a virtual standstill for an entire day during its busiest shopping season. He did say that eBay would be issuing refunds to sellers, but did not yet provide details.

eBay's large increase in listings has much to do with an onramp it created this year for major retailers to load inventory onto the site. The eBay Large Merchant Services APIs (LMS) were launched in beta testing in December 2008, and eBay has been ramping it up throughout the year, and attending retail conferences to attract major companies to its site.

To get a sense of the scale of LMS, here is an excerpt of eBay's instructions to corporations who want to load inventory to the site:

You work for an extremely large corporation, and the managers have just proposed that you put your company's inventory on the eBay site to increase your web visibility and online sales. You have separate catalogs for clothing, hardware, housewares, and electronics. You have 150 separate types of items in your clothing catalog, such as shirts, dresses, and hats. Most of those items have 24 SKUs each: gold, blue, brown, and green in x-small, small, medium, large, 1X, and 2X. (Each color/size/type combination will have a different SKU number.)

Therefore, you will want to add approximately 3,600 listings, just for your clothing catalog. Each listing will have multiple items of the same size, color, and type. For instance, you may have 10 medium-size, gold shirts that you want to add to the eBay site. You would create this as a single listing for the medium/gold/shirt SKU, and set the quantity to 10.

If we expand this model to include all of your catalog items, you may have between 14,000 and 15,000 listings to add to the eBay site, and each of these listings is a multi-quantity listing.

In addition, eBay also opened its platform to third-party developers this year to let them create selling applications available right on eBay.com through its Selling Manager software. Sellers are always nervous about eBay making changes around the holidays, and much to their dismay, eBay introduced a new Cross Merchandising feature on Tuesday.

AuctionBytes will continue to cover the outage through updates on its blog and through Twitter.

• Options
    Now, EBAY is going to have to "redecide" IF yesterday's problem
    was a "hard outage."

IMV, since folks could not find listings, the outage was "hard."

Expect EBAY to have a different view.

Sellers who refuse to deliver items sold during the problem may
    be granted a pass on resulting NEGs.

A ton of noise will have to be made, but it may work.

This is just another example of EBAY overloading their feeble
    machines with listings from mega-sellers who pay NO upfront
    listing fees.

200-Million listings is a bunch. Perhaps less than 10% of those
    were placed by real people; the people who built EBAY.

A yucky outfit that wants our money, but would prefer we just
    give it to them for NOTHING.....and go away.

Outage Policy

eBay’s highest priority is its members’ trading success. However, the eBay site occasionally experiences outages during which bidders cannot place bids or effectively locate items via our Title Search function. When outages occur that are at least one hour in duration, eBay offers this Outage Policy to compensate for member inconvenience.

See examples for specifics types of outages and our response to each.

Some Examples

Title search outage of one or more hours

In the event of a title search outage of one or more hours, eBay automatically credits all associated fees for affected listings. The following listings will be eligible for credit:

Any listing scheduled to end during the outage

Any listing scheduled to end in the hour after the end of the outage

Unlike our policy for hard outages of two hours or more, listings will not be extended.

Hard outage of more than one but less than two hours

In the event of a hard outage of more than one but less than two hours, eBay automatically credits all associated fees for affected listings. The following listings will be eligible for credit:

Additionally, credit will be issued for the 10-cent Promotional Fee on any 10-day listing that is running during the outage (regardless of the time it's scheduled to end). This includes either of the following features:

Item pages

Bidding

Unlike our policy for hard outages of two hours or more, listings will not be extended.

Hard outage of two hours or more

In the event of a hard outage of two hours or more, eBay automatically extends listings for 24 hours. eBay also automatically credits all associated fees for affected listings. The following listings will be eligible for extension and credit:

Additionally, credit will be issued for the 10-cent Promotional Fee on any 10-day listing that is running during the outage (regardless of the time it's scheduled to end). This includes either one or all of the following features:

Item pages

Bidding

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    /////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

A keeping it real note:

While it is possible/likely that many auctions ended lower
    than they should have during the outage, the same is hard
    to prove.

////////////////////////////////////

AuctionBytes Survey Regarding Search Outage:

survey

This may be an important survey to complete. It is brief.

It may have an impact on the issue of NEGs being removed.

• Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    The United States Congress should adopt "Hey, at least we're not eBay" as its unofficial motto.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭
    Not all searches are coming up. You have to do a combination of All Ebay Items & All Buy it Now items. They keep on screwing with the user interface, and this is what happens.
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    This is making me sick...I got a $400 card selling for $50......and my $1,500 is still at $145...........I am tempting to pull the plug on them.....if noone can even see what I am selling, what good is Ebay in the first place!??!??!?!?! Thanks for letting me vent.....
  • Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>........Thanks for letting me vent..... >>

You really didnt give us much of a choice.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is making me sick...I got a $400 card selling for $50......and my $1,500 is still at $145...........I am tempting to pull the plug on them.....if noone can even see what I am selling, what good is Ebay in the first place!??!??!?!?! Thanks for letting me vent.....

You can't cancel an auction within the last 12 hours..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    dont they all have at least a day or two left?

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Bobby

I'd pull em if you suspect they're being affected by the broken search feature

I had several more finish tonight, virtually all of them well below VCP. I can't say definitively it's because of the search issue. But if searches were working only sporadically during the 48 hours leading up to the auction endings, I'd bet it's at least part of the reason for the lower prices.

I didn't end mine yesterday, but probably should have.
  • Options
    Well..I left them alone. I ended up having a $1,000 VCP average card sell for only $281......nice.......... I think I am about done......I can't support a hobby I love if it doesn't support me. I may do like Felicia and puruse other ventures. I will have a fire sale on Ebay with my collection and send the nicer stuff off to REA if they will take it this year (I might be running out of time though).....
  • Options
    1st dont panic and have a fire sale.

2nd. you should have pulled the item

3rd. list with BUY IT NOW or best offer, im amazed at the prices i get with BUY IT NOW stuff that sells for half when i run an auction.
  • Options
    Thanks for everyones concern. I don't pay Gecko any mind. In my opinion, he acts like an immature child. If he wants to post personal PM's that is his perogative. I was merely trying to help him. I am not destitute by any means, and have no desire to unload things just to "rid" myself of them. He will NOT receive any more consideration from me however.....