Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1828 25/50 Bust quarter ...Whats it worth?? And whats the grade??

I have seen a few of these quarters coming up for sale lately mostly in low grades. I wanted to get an idea of what people think this particular one would be worth?imageimage
Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.

Comments

• Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    They certainly go for WAY more than the guides...PCGS price guide lists a VG8 at $350, but I know of two PCGS 8s on the market for $2850 and $2250, respectively.

Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JJ Teaparty has an asking price of $2850 on this one:

• Options
    SNMANSNMAN Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    Why the big price difference?

I always thought PCGS Price guide is high............image
    Positive Transactions with: justindan; Drunner; Segoja, Dragon, fivecents, Connecticoin, WTCG, gsa1fan, abitofthisabitofthat; commoncents05;Broadstruck; and ......more
  • Options
    ?
    Winner of the "You Suck!" award March 17, 2010 by LanLord, doh, 123cents and Bear.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Why the big price difference?

I always thought PCGS Price guide is high............image >>

This is one of those coins where you can throw away the price guide. These coins bring big bucks even in "no problems" low grades.
  • Options
    ebay Well at least 330.00image
    A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.
    Yogi Berra

• Options
    ha ha cone10 thats awesome. I actually just sent it in to grade...So i guess i will see what happens. I hope it holders , i will feel like i finally got a good deal on something...
  • Options
    QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭
    You did get a great deal and from a great seller, Dave is ace's in my book!

I would say that if it would slab Dave would have had it done, but you never know.

Looks like a G-4 Obverse / G-6 Reverse. A PCGS G-6 sold at auction in June for $1725, although it did have a little more meat on the reverse and absolutely no problems.

The June sale is most likely responsible for the high prices on the VG's, although the last VG-8 (NGC) sold in 2007 for only $862 and a VG-8 Details (ICG) sold in 2008 for $1040.

This marriage is certainly very scarce. I show around 40 examples sold at auction (taking into account repeat appearances) in the last 15 years at the major auction houses.

Nice buy! image

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    It was a steal even if it doesn't certify.
  • Options
    The scratches are not as bad as the photos portray. I predict the coin will grade a G- 4. Especially because of the few light scratches taking away from any chance of the G-6 reverse tipping the grading scale. ... Thanks guys. Quarternut is right, Dave is awesome to work with. He did a great job working out some issues with delivery that i had. I hope to do buisness with him again...
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭
    Have done a fair amount of biz with Dave. Nice and knowledgeable. He is tops for bust (and likely for other) material!
  • Options
    it will not grade(not even close) but will still be worth it, "AS" GEN-96
  • Options
    phehpheh Posts: 1,588

<< <i>it will not grade(not even close) but will still be worth it, "AS" GEN-96 >>

except... 97.
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this coin is benefiting from the publicity given to its scarcer cousin, the 1822 B-2, which has the same error reverse. I couldn't justify paying over $2,000 for it in VG, personally- PCGS or not. The 1822 B-2 really is a serious rare coin, but the 1828 B-3 is more available. The $330 ebay price may have been a deal, but it was only slightly on the low side, in my opinion. Another thing to keep in mind is that the two VG examples offered for sale above $2k are just that - for sale. Nobody has bought them so far.

If this is really worth $2k in low grades, then the example I bought last year at $900 with VF/XF details is looking pretty good.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat coin, thanks rhedden for saying much of what I was thinking.

In one respect, the coin is "worth" exactly $334.40 because that's what it just changed hands for.

However, I agree it was a pretty good price. The coin was on my watch list and had I been paying attention at the time of auction close, the price would have been quite a bit higher. You still would have gotten it, probably, because of your 2 additional protection bids in the last few seconds, but at maybe $200 higher.

Coingrats! It's a variety I still "need" for my collection

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>it will not grade(not even close) but will still be worth it, "AS" GEN-96 >>

96? I wasn't aware of a 96 code, what is it?
  • Options
    I think code 96 genuine is a coin that is privately made like a medal. 97 may be more accurate
  • Options

<< <i>I think this coin is benefiting from the publicity given to its scarcer cousin, the 1822 B-2, which has the same error reverse. I couldn't justify paying over $2,000 for it in VG, personally- PCGS or not. The 1822 B-2 really is a serious rare coin, but the 1828 B-3 is more available. The $330 ebay price may have been a deal, but it was only slightly on the low side, in my opinion. Another thing to keep in mind is that the two VG examples offered for sale above $2k are just that - for sale. Nobody has bought them so far.

If this is really worth $2k in low grades, then the example I bought last year at $900 with VF/XF details is looking pretty good. >>

The 1828 B-3 (25 / 5 / 50 Reverse) is indeed more available than its 1822 cousin, exactly twice as available at auction over the last 10 - 15 years (19 examples for the 1822, versus 40 examples for the 1828).

That being said, it should be worth somewhere between half and a third as much as the 1822. Can everyone agree on that?

The 1822 in G-4 last sold at auction in March of 2008 for $3795. A G-4 Details (cleaned) example also sold in Feb. 2008 for $4140 (don't really have an explanation for the difference in price other than perhaps "auction fever")

So if we are using these numbers, the 1828 should be worth somewhere between $1309 and $1984 (at least in early 2008). If we adjust for the weaker market conditions that now exist, about 20% less, the numbers should be between $1047 and $1587.

Any other discounts that you want to make for any issues that exist on the OP's coin should not bring it down anywhere near the terrific price he paid for it. It was a real bargain in my mind.

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, I had no idea prices had risen that steeply on these 25/50 varieties. I guess the coin was quite a buy at that level. Good news for me, since I have both in my collection.

• Options
    The 1828 25/50 quarter that i had purchased is being returned back from PCGS. I will post the image of the coin for everyone who responded to see what the result was.
  • Options

<< <i>

except... 97. >>

Opps I did mean 97
  • Options

<< <i>It was a steal even if it doesn't certify. >>

I agree
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It was a steal even if it doesn't certify. >>

I agree >>

QN

• Options
    I would love to see Rhedden's 1828 25/50 quarter. His 1822 25/50 was impressive enough, but i still would love to see it.
  • Options

<< <i>I would love to see Rhedden's 1828 25/50 quarter. His 1822 25/50 was impressive enough, but i still would love to see it. >>

Here is the thread where he posted it...

Link

My example is pictured in my book (pg 219).

QN

• Options
    Dang! They are some nice coins!
  • Options
    Mail service sure takes it sweet time during the holidays.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it slabbed VG-8?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    I wish it would slab a VG-8 but i am sure its not. It would never go VG.
  • Options
    Stop dragging it out! You know what the grade is already...just tell 'em.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file