Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New PCGS Regency...

astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
Picked up another Danny Kaye coin in a PCGS Regency holder. No leatherette bag or case, but at least the holder is intact.

I wish I could find a US coin in one of these holders!

Seller's photo

Lane
Numismatist Ordinaire
See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

Comments

• Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I would like to get one of those, any coin would do, but US coin would be phenomenal.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was successful in picking up a few PCGS Regency holders with US coins but I have not seen one in several years now either.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps there were a lot of crack outs of US coins before more people started looking for the Regency slabs.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Perhaps there were a lot of crack outs of US coins before more people started looking for the Regency slabs.

Lane >>

You are correct. Many Regency slab coins were reholdered since the oversized Regency slab wouldn't fit in the standard slab box. I have an 1852 gold dollar in a Regency slab with the notation on the label that it has a double punched date. That is why people got this slab because you could add a message to the label such as "Happy Birthday" or "Congratulations on Your Graduation".

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like the doily holders and other scarce slabs, you want to make sure that they aren't too scratched up since the holders aren't replaceable.
  • Options
    direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭
    The only one I've ever seen for sale, was on ebay and it was a 87/6 P Morgan.
    I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

• Options
    LostSislerLostSisler Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    The Penny Lady had one for sale at the Portland ANA; a Morgan.
    Because to Err is Human.
    I specialize in Errors, Minting, Counterfeit Detection & Grading.
    Computer-aided grading, counterfeit detection, recognition and imaging.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are these Regency slabs bringing much of a premium in auctions?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure about auctions for the Regency slabs, but I do know that those who do own them had to pay a nice premium to get them.

I would love to own one of them as they are a great part of PCGS' history, not to mention, an awesome looking slab!!

I would also love to see one with a US coin in it, so if anyone has one, let's see it.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Notice how the slab says #316 out of 363? That's because, I believe, Superior put 363 of these coins in Regency slabs. (They then marketed the coins, playing up the Danny Kaye provenance.) I would expect most of them to still exist in those holders. It's interesting when you consider how few have appeared in the aftermarket.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file