Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How Do You Remove a Coin from a TPG Slab

Hi

This afternoon I needed to remove a coin from a TPG slab. This is the first time I ever had to do this. The slab was an NGC. It didn't go so well and I would like to know from those more experienced, the best way to safely remove the coin from the slab, without damaging either the coin or myself.

Thanks

Planchet

Comments

• Options
    Cladiator uses these image

No kidding, he really does. Many here use Tin Snips or something similar.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    search crack or cracking
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    I've removed many coins from PCGS, NGC and Anacs holders, what I do is place a cloth between a slip jaw plier and hold the holder away from where the coin sits in the holder then tap with a hammer until it breaks freeing the coin.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    very very carefullyimage
  • Options
    Bandsaw, cut away the edges!
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Bandsaw, cut away the edges! >>

me too

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    BFH.

Ray
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a hammer and chisel.
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭
    Wrap slab in towel. Wear safety glasses/goggles. Hit long edges of hammer with light to moderate force (usually 2-3 times per side does the trick). NGC slabs are nice; they break easily.
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    ponderitponderit Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Band saw or scroll saw around the perimeters and then the thing will pry right open with no broken plactic. Works like a charm...
    Successful BST transactions with Rob41281, crazyhounddog, Commoncents, CarlWohlford, blu62vette, Manofcoins, Monstarcoins, coinlietenant, iconbuster, RWW,Nolawyer, NewParadigm, Flatwoods, papabear, Yellowkid, Ankur, Pccoins, tlake22, drddm, Connecticoin, Cladiator, lkeigwin, pursuitofliberty
  • Options
    ponderitponderit Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>BFH.

Ray >>

LOL, Ray, will a SFH work? image
    Successful BST transactions with Rob41281, crazyhounddog, Commoncents, CarlWohlford, blu62vette, Manofcoins, Monstarcoins, coinlietenant, iconbuster, RWW,Nolawyer, NewParadigm, Flatwoods, papabear, Yellowkid, Ankur, Pccoins, tlake22, drddm, Connecticoin, Cladiator, lkeigwin, pursuitofliberty
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vicegrips. image
  • Options
    Joking aside, I use tile cutters. They work better than anything pictured or mentioned. You can get some at a hardware store for around $10.
    Tony Barreca

"Question your assumptions."
    "Intelligence is an evolutionary adaptation."
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dremel tool.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file