Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I need a Die count for Bust Silver coinage (all denom's)

In my continued effort on investigating and writing about Bust Silver coinage, I have written myself into a wall and
I need the following information before I can move on; can you tell that I am decidedly absent of these books image

So simply, how many different Obverse and Reverse Dies (not just Die Marriages) were used on each Bust Silver
denomination? (I've already counted the number of dies for the Bust Quarters (not including 1827 which I now consider
a fantasy issue) and posted those below as an example)

Half-Dimes (1794-1837) - (Capped Bust - 29 Obverse and 36 Reverse dies = 124 DM's); Still need the Draped Bust Count
Dimes (1796-1837) - Info received
*Quarters (1796-1838) - (59 Obverse dies and 55 Reverse dies = 96 DM's)
*Half-Dollars (1794-1836LE)
390 obverse dies (1 die was redated reused in another year)
447 reverse dies (42 dies were reused in other years)
794 unique dies
556 DMs
Dollars (1794-1803) - info received

Thanks for any and all help, and I will be sure to cite you as a source in the article. image

Comments

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know about the other denominations without getting the books out and counting, but for the four half dollars types...

There were:

390 obverse dies (1 die was redated reused in another year)
    447 reverse dies (42 dies were reused in other years)
    794 unique dies
    556 DMs

It's possible that one of the DMs (1795-118 is unknown in any collection) doesn't exist which would result in only 555 DM's

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    page 137, "Federal Half Dimes 1792-1837" says for the capped bust design there are 29 different obverse dies and 36 different reverse dies. This has not changed since publication, even with the discovery of a new die marriage (the die marriage combines two already-known dies)

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Thanks much Jim and Richard. I expected these two to be answered first and I suspect that the Dimes and Dollars will take a while to answer.
    (Not too many Bust Dollar Variety collectors on this board!)
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    contact Jim Matthews at Stack's for bust dollars (at least that's what I would do if I wanted to know)
  • Options
    If Jim didn't know off hand, he could check with David Perkins.

I hope that wall has some windows...it's always better to get an overall view when you're stuck writing. image
    PM me if you are looking for U.S. auction catalogs
  • Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For dimes, the new discoveries since the 1984 reference book are:

1796 JR-7 new obverse discovered by Brian Greer
    1803 JR-5 new marriage of known dies discovered by Ed Price

That makes 31 draped bust dimes, I think there are 122 capped dime DM's, with no new discoveries since the book.

Half dollar discoveries since the 1990 Overton 3rd edition:

1794 O.111 new reverse discovered 1993
    1806 O.128 new marriage of known dies discovered early 1990's
    1807 O.115 draped bust new obverse die (Baley)
    1806 O.129 new obverse die (Lord M/Cladiator/Biddles Bank/Colridge)
    1806 O.130 new marriage of known dies (Borckhardt)

That makes 108 pre-turbs (1795 O.118 is an error, not listed in total)
    450 capped
    558 total
    or 561 total, if the 3 crushed lettered edge varieties not recognized by Overton are included.

Dollars: Dr. Warren Miller owns all of them including 5 unique DM's. I think the dollar DM total is 118

I am compiling a complete list of dies for all copper, silver, and gold for a project I am working on. The copper will be difficult, as some dies listed seperately are only die states.

edit - added information on 1794 O.111 and 1806 O.128, the total DM of 108 for preturbs is correct
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options

<< <i>I hope that wall has some windows...it's always better to get an overall view when you're stuck writing. image >>

Yes, it has windows. I know exactly what I'm looking for with this added piece of information, but I just need to confirm it.
    This information is being used for part of the conclusion to my article, so it is an exciting feeling that I am almost done image

BTW - Nysoto, thanks for the additional information
    I've edited my original post to make clearer exactly what I'm looking for
  • Options
    The 1796-1807 draped bust dimes:

20 obverse dies used
    21 reverse dies used

Also, 7 of the reverse dies had earlier usage on gold $2.50 (with one exception of dime usage before gold).

The 1794-1807 preturban half dollars:

59 obverse dies used
    68 reverse dies used

The above analysis includes all new discoveries and does not double count examples of dies used the previous year. Example - 1802 has one obverse and zero reverse dies, as the 1802 reverse was used 1801. A count of the dies for the year listed in Overton will give the wrong answer, as they do not identify previously used dies in their die identification system. John Dannreuther has the best die identification system for early gold, as previously used dies are listed as such.

Also, there was another reverse die that was fabricated in 1806 and evidently never used on half dollars, but was used for the reverse of $10 eagles in the 1834 diplomatic presentation sets. As eagles were not struck after 1804, the fabrication of this die was intended for half dollars. I called this die 1806 Reverse V (the next letter in alphabetical order for the reverse dies) in a 2007 JRJ article. I did not include this die in the totals above, as it was unused for half dollars.

There is a listing of half dollar lettered edge dies in the 1986 ANS publication "America's Silver Coinage"

I can also get the capped bust dimes used and others, but may not have an answer for a week or so.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Sorry I can only help if you included gold. image

Hope you get through your wall soon. image
  • Options
    Thanks Nysoto, that's fantastic image

BECOKA - The wall is crumbling down and there's only a small mound left image
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks Nysoto, that's fantastic image

BECOKA - The wall is crumbling down and there's only a small mound left image >>

Hey, 15 more posts till it's name choosing time. image
  • Options
    Stone,

The capped bust dime series has 73 obverse dies, 74 reverse dies, and 122 die marriages from 1809-1837. There are many reverse dies that were carried over to the following year, these were not double counted.

The total 1796-1837 draped and capped bust dime die count is:

obverse dies 93
    reverse dies 95
    die marriages 153

Since the dime reference book was published in 1984, there have been two draped bust dime die marriage discoveries as mentioned earlier, and no new capped bust dime discoveries. More info on these discoveries can be found in the Ed Price catalog of early dimes and quarter eagles, from Heritage.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file