Home U.S. Coin Forum

Someone here sent me JUNK today...

... along with some other nice stuff. I guess it might be more PC to call it a "sail boat" image

imageimage

Oh... almost forgot... one of the coins he sent is all "cracked" on the reverse...

Thanks again... !!!

Comments

• richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Richard.
    is that a big ole cud on the Morgan, if so how rare would that be? >>

No... there is a large die crack that runs from the rim above the N to the D of United. Then also from the rim at the D there is another crack that runs to the wreath.
    At the bottom (pic doesn't show it too well) there is a crack from the rim left of the O in one to the second L of dollar.

I know this is nothing special but it this was a "silver for melt" purchase. Not all our coins can be "monsters". They don't have to be expensive to be interesting to me.... but maybe I'm a real geek image
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Richard.
    is that a big ole cud on the Morgan, if so how rare would that be? >>

It's not a cud, but it's a rim-to-rim die crack which could, over time, develop into a cud.
    Both Realone and another member prompted me to look this up as I really don't know Morgans and even less about VAMS.

A quick search of Vamworld and I found the coin for sure. It's called: 1898-P VAM-2B Closed 9, Retained Cud NITED

Here's the LINK to it.

From the crack to the rim the whole area is actually very slightly raised... it is a cud. The 9 on the obv is also closed and easy to see.

Wow... learn something new every day.

Thanks for prompting me to look closer.
  • HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,439 ✭✭✭
    Id check those coins again, I think they're cheap chinese fakes that FOOLED you!

DOH!

• Saw a Junk like that on Lake Michigan this summerimage Very cool coin.
    Can't remember the exact VAM I'm thinking 5A (Big Crack) for some reason???
    I have one tucked away. Yours looks greatimage

Stew

<< <i>Id check those coins again, I think they're cheap chinese fakes that FOOLED you!

DOH!

image >>

Hey... you got any more with big ole cracks on em? image

I'll make it right with you if it actually sells for a premium.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file