Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

United States Mint America the Beautiful Quarters™ Program Announced

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
September 9, 2009

56 National Sites to be Honored in New Multi-Year Initiative

WASHINGTON - The United States Mint today announced the nation will honor 56 national sites to be honored through the United States Mint America the Beautiful Quarters Program. In 2010, the first year of the program, the agency will mint commemorative quarter-dollar coins honoring the Hot Springs National Park in Arkansas, Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming, Yosemite National Park in California, Grand Canyon National Park in Arizona and Mount Hood National Forest in Oregon.

The complete National Site Registry, which lists all 56 sites to be honored under the program, is available at http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/NSQuartersProgram/?action=siteRegister The quarters will be issued sequentially each year, in the order in which the featured site was first established as a national park or site.

"These new quarters will honor some of our most revered, treasured and beautiful national sites - majestic and historic places located throughout the United States and its territories that truly make us ‘America the Beautiful,'" United States Mint Director Ed Moy said. "The designs will help reinvigorate interest in our national parks, forests, fish and wildlife refuges, and other national sites, as well as educate the public about their importance to us and our history."

Secretary of the Treasury Timothy F. Geithner approved the list of sites recommended by the United States Mint on August 25, 2009, after consultation with the governor or chief executive of each host jurisdiction and Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar.

"The America the Beautiful series demonstrates our nation's commitment to the legacy of conservation while celebrating its natural beauty," said Treasurer of the United States Rosie Rios. "Like other commemorative coins, these quarters will be a valuable addition to the U.S. Mint's collection."

"Since our Nation's founding, our coins have celebrated American ideals such as liberty and justice, our rich history and heritage, and the great Presidents and other leaders who have guided us," Salazar said. "I am pleased that these new quarters will now celebrate America the Beautiful, the spectacular natural wonders that are found in our national parks, wildlife refuges and public lands."

"From Mt. Hood National Forest in Oregon to White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire, America's landscape is blessed with unmatched beauty," U.S. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack, who oversees the National Forest Service, said. "Our national forests are national treasures and honoring them is an important step in preserving them for future generations."

Effective today, customers may sign up to receive the United States Mint America the Beautiful Quarters released each year through several new Online Subscription Programs - a two-roll set (one roll of 40 coins with the "P" mint mark for Philadelphia and one roll of 40 coins with the "D" mint mark for Denver); 100-coin bag (P); 100-coin bag (D); two 100-coin bags (P and D); 1,000-coin bag (P); 1,000-coin bag (D); two 1,000-coin bags (P and D); United States Mint America the Beautiful Quarters Proof SetTM; and United States Mint America the Beautiful Quarters Silver Proof SetTM, with the five coins struck in 90 percent silver.

To place subscription orders for these products, visit the United States Mint Web site at www.usmint.gov/catalog or call 1-800-USA-MINT (872-6468). Prices for these products have not yet been established. However, similar product prices are $32.95 each for the two-roll sets and 100-coin bags; $309.95 each for the 1,000-coin bags; $65.90 each for the two 100-coin bags; $619.90 each for the two 1,000-coin bags; $14.95 for the proof set; and $29.95 for the silver proof set.

The United States Mint America the Beautiful Quarters Program is a multi-year initiative authorized by Public Law 110-456-the America's Beautiful National Parks Quarter Dollar Coin Act of 2008. The Act directs the United States Mint to mint and issue 56 circulating quarter-dollar coins with reverse designs emblematic of a national park or other national site in each state, the District of Columbia and U.S. territories-Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands and the Northern Mariana Islands.

Beginning in 2010, the designs on the reverse (tails side) of the United States Mint America the Beautiful Quarters will rotate five times each year, with the final (56th ) coin in the series being released in 2021. The coins' obverse (heads) will feature a restored version of the familiar 1932 portrait of George Washington, including subtle details and the beauty of the original model.

Additionally, under the United States Mint America the Beautiful Silver Bullion CoinTM Program, the United States Mint will mint and offer for sale silver bullion coins that are duplicates of the quarters. The bullion coins, to be struck in .999 fine silver, will be three inches in diameter and weigh five ounces. The fineness and weight will be edge-incused.

A satellite feed of B Roll of the first five national sites and quarter production will be available on Wednesday, September 9th, 10:30-10:45 AM ET Galaxy 3C, Tr. 4, DL 3780V; 1:30-1:45 PM ET, Galaxy 3C, Tr. 4, DL 3780V; and Thursday, September 10th, 1:00-1:15 PM ET, Galaxy 3C, Tr. 4, DL 3780V.

For more information about the United States Mint America the Beautiful Quarters Program, please visit
http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/NSQuartersProgram/index.cfm

Created by Congress in 1792, The United States Mint is the Nation's sole manufacturer of legal tender coinage. Its primary mission is to produce an adequate volume of circulating coinage for the Nation to conduct its trade and commerce. The United States Mint also produces proof, uncirculated and commemorative coins; Congressional Gold Medals; and gold, silver and platinum bullion coins.

Mint PR

Comments

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, so it's back to the original obverse from 1932?

"The coins' obverse (heads) will feature a restored version of the familiar 1932 portrait of George Washington, including subtle details and the beauty of the original model. "

I wonder if that means that the spaghetti hair is gonzo?
  • Options
    I hope that they pick artists and renditions that will make this series more appealing than the 50 states series.

• Options
    I am not collecting any of these. I repeat, I am not collecting any of these. The mint suckered me in to the state quarters. Never again. I am much wiser now.
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh Joy, This is like a part 3 to a good movie.

Another 11 years of multiple quarters. A 22 year span of quarters requiring 336 quarters for just P,D,S. Not including Satin Finish and Silver proof, so you could almost double that number again.

What do you think putting one of these sets together will be like in 50 years?
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder if that means that the spaghetti hair is gonzo? >>

We can only hope!
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can easily see this new quarters program to be similar to the States Quarters program, with flat relief coins that are bland.

I have collected quarters and have a Dansco album with coins only up to 1998. I think it will stay that way.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

We can only hope! >>

Yea, verily.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    As a tree hugging, nature-loving, outdoorsmen, that has spent years visiting National Parks, and historic sites I am looking forward to this set. I hope that the artwork does justice to these sites. On the other hand as a coin collector for 5 decades, and a hole filling, album collector, I have to say I no longer feel any great need to collect all the different mint marks, or even all the various varieties. One proof and one unc. is enough with the state quarters, the gold dollars, and it will be the case with these new quarters. I have to admit I'm looking forward to seeing Delicate Arch on Utahs Quarter, and I hope they use someting beside Old Faithful on Yellowstones'. Those 3 inch silver copies could be something --only if the artwork is first class. I know, but, I'm hoping.
  • Options
    SilverstateSilverstate Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    And I thought is was September not April.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is overkill. I'm soooo tired of changing reverses, and rehashed designs. And the bullion-Buffaloes, AGE, ASE... all taken from the past. I'm left to wonder is there anybody out there that can design some fresh, new coinage?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    It'll be fun seeing the new designs. I don't think they will be worth anything as far as collecting them though, other than for the novelty or if some have really nice designs. I predict lots of those minor tilted hub double designs for any of them with intricate designs in the center of the coin.
  • Options
    The bullion coins should be interesting. 3 inches round and 5 ounces of .999silver.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>This is overkill. I'm soooo tired of changing reverses, and rehashed designs. And the bullion-Buffaloes, AGE, ASE... all taken from the past. I'm left to wonder is there anybody out there that can design some fresh, new coinage?<<

I think the plats qualify, but they seem to have stopped making them . . .

>>The bullion coins should be interesting. 3 inches round and 5 ounces of .999silver.<<

What will they look like in slabs? How many in a roll? Will they have a face value of 25 cents, so we can spend them? image

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

What will they look like in slabs? How many in a roll? Will they have a face value of 25 cents, so we can spend them? image >>

I'm thinking 3 in. diameter is too big for a slab... and i'm pretty happy about that.
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    please for the love of heaven, leave the quarter alone again. deface a coin that absolutely NO ONE cares about, the kennedy half!
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭

Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like PCGS and the oher TPGs will be either coming up with a larger holder or won't be grading the 3 inch 5 ounce bullion coins.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    It seems the only news here is of the return to an updated '32 obverse portrait of Washington.

Oh yeah, and they gave it an "official" name instead of State Parks quarters. image
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options
    In 1999 the US Mint found out how easy it was to crank up their profits. They aren't going to let that gravy train come to a stop. There will be some type of circulating commem indefinitely from now on.
    "YOU SUCK!" Awarded by nankraut/renomedphys 6/13/13 - MadMarty dissents
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Maybe one or two of bullion rounds if they are decent enough. This is the last year for me for collecting proof and mint sets. I am considering ending my collection of the ASE proofs in 70 and sell my registry set this year also. Just too much by the U.S. Mint to keep this going and I am a die-hard modern coin collector.
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭
    How in the world are they going to come up with designs that won't eventually all look alike after a while? Mountains, trees, grass? Oh, I just saw Nebraska's is the Homestead National Monument of America so at least we can look forward to one that will have have a covered wagon on it. image
    Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I am not eagerly awaiting another 11 years of $25 (or whatever price they settle on) mint sets.

<< <i>I hope that they pick artists and renditions that will make this series more appealing than the 50 states series. >>

I really do not care what designs or artists they choose as it will, no doubt, be another 11 years of mundane, boring, over analyzed, low profile coins of which I am rapidly losing interest in collecting.

I would not hold my breath.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to see a John Deere tractor series.
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    I'd love to see a Standing Liberty obverse on these. It would go beautifully with the historic theme of these...
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    "America the Beautiful"? What a joke because there is something most people don't understand....

The United Nations OWN all of our "national" parks

So how can it be called "America" the Beautiful?

How about Americans claim back OUR parks before we start some program to honor "American" parks. Just an idea....
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭
    If/when they have a subscription for the silver bullion, I will sign up for it. But geez, that will be quite the long-term commitment to complete that set. But at least it wil be pure silver and have value. This quarter program is too long in my opinion and I fear it is another step towards what the USPS did with stamps. Although as an avid outdoorsman and landscape photographer, I have an interest in our national parks and it will be fun to see the designs, albeit we all fear they will be flat and boring.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
    Also their are more foreigners visiting our national parks than U.S. Citizens with all the time those Europeans get for vacation.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    This may actually be a good series design-wise for a few reasons:

1) It does not appear that anyone but the Mint has jurisdiction over the designs - this is actually good, given that most of the design flaws on the SHQs originated with uninspired mandates issued by their respective states.

2) Another problem with the SHQ program, was the pressure placed on the designs given the novelty of the series & strong emotions people associate with their states - now that rotating designs on U.S. coinage are pretty much ubiquitous, and that fewer outside people are apt to be as concerned with the subject, the artists may actually have a chance to flex some muscle with fewer impediments.

3) With respect to the obverse, the Mint Press Release makes mention of the original plaster model - the only other times I've heard the mint concerned with such source material was with respect to GOld Buffalos & the High Relief Saint, both which pay fair homage what the designs were supposed to look like.

• Options
    bestmrbestmr Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭
    I have mixed feelings. I want to see the design of each coin as I have been to several of these parks. That being said, I'm not looking forward to collecting these in my 68-present proof sets.
    Positive dealing with oilstates2003, rkfish, Scrapman1077, Weather11am, Guitarwes, Twosides2acoin, Hendrixkat, Sevensteps, CarlWohlforth, DLBack, zug, wildjag, tetradrachm, tydye, NotSure, AgBlox, Seemyauction, Stopmotion, Zubie, Fivecents, Musky1011, Bstat1020, Gsa1fan several times, and Mkman123 LOTS of times
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>... I hope that the artwork does justice to these sites. ... I have to admit I'm looking forward to seeing Delicate Arch on Utahs Quarter, and I hope they use someting beside Old Faithful on Yellowstones'. Those 3 inch silver copies could be something --only if the artwork is first class. I know, but, I'm hoping. >>

I fear the artwork will suck. I have no reason to believe otherwise. I also fear the medals will be enlargements of the quarters rather than higher relief medals with detail that would make Jacques and Leopold Wiener jealous. Out Faithful Servants in Congress should haved assigned the National Parks to BEP to use as reverses of $1 or $2 bills, but they're mostly idiots, so they didn't.
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Personally I think the mint has helped our hobby. The more people collecting, the healthier it gets. Yes, much like stamps which cost us face value but costs the mine little to make, the quarters will be money makers for the mint, such a capitalistic idea. I look forward to sharing each of these in a 2x2 with my coworkers as a gift. Don't be so negative.
    Paul
  • Options
    This would be a much nicer issue if they put it on the reverse of the Half dollar and changed the obverse to one of Teddy Roosevelt, who is responsible for we Americans having a National Parks system.
    Gary
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>please for the love of heaven, leave the quarter alone again. deface a coin that absolutely NO ONE cares about, the kennedy half! >>

Yeah, the half would be a better choice. You have a larger medium for the artwork and changing it would breathe new life into the half dollar. I would say that the quarter should be brought back to a standard majestic design before you touch the half. We should not have more than one carnival token coin at a time.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This would be a much nicer issue if they put it on the reverse of the Half dollar and changed the obverse to one of Teddy Roosevelt, who is responsible for we Americans having a National Parks system. >>

Oh, you scared me there. At first read I amost thought you wrote Teddy Kennedy. That is my nightmare.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    3" bullion coins. 56 of them.

I now have a new collecting goal and it weighs in at 280 ounces.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How in the world are they going to come up with designs that won't eventually all look alike after a while? Mountains, trees, grass? Oh, I just saw Nebraska's is the Homestead National Monument of America so at least we can look forward to one that will have have a covered wagon on it. image >>

Um......didn't your last one have a covered wagon on it???

Here in Illinois we got a national forest for our ATB quarter. What are they going to show? One tree? Ten trees?
    Sheesh!
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    The only saving grace in this project IMO is the chance at a better obverse. We may get some good art out of it but the odds are small.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    So, another new series. With the lack of decent artwork on most of the state quarters and most of the commemoratives as well, what makes anyone think that this new series will be any better? I look at foreign commemorative coins and admire the artwork that go into those coins. Those coins are beautiful. Also, the quality of the coins that are made for collectors over there is far superior to the quality of our collector-type coins coming from the U.S. Mint. I agree that circulated coins for the general public do not need to possess the same quality level as that of collector-type coins. But with the collector-type coins coming from the U.S. Mint along with the shoddy artwork on them as well, I have to say that I think I'm going to have to pass on this series. In fact, I have already begun a decrease in purchasing all of the stuff coming from the U.S. Mint due to the above reasons.

I don't mind paying a premium for a coin that is beautiful to look at and is true collector-type quality. It's sad, but IMHO, we've only had a few issues that were of a decent artwork. I can see why most of the young ones today don't care too much for the coin hobby. When you see the kinds of designs and the quality coming from the U.S. Mint, I can't blame them. image
  • Options

<< <i>Personally I think the mint has helped our hobby. The more people collecting, the healthier it gets. Yes, much like stamps which cost us face value but costs the mine little to make, the quarters will be money makers for the mint, such a capitalistic idea. I look forward to sharing each of these in a 2x2 with my coworkers as a gift. Don't be so negative. >>

I like your spunk pmac....I believe you are on to something here!! image
  • Options

Looking through the list of national parks......I realized that I've never heard of most of them. Admit it, you haven't either......image
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Personally I think the mint has helped our hobby. The more people collecting, the healthier it gets. Yes, much like stamps which cost us face value but costs the mine little to make, the quarters will be money makers for the mint, such a capitalistic idea. I look forward to sharing each of these in a 2x2 with my coworkers as a gift. Don't be so negative. >>

I like your spunk pmac....I believe you are on to something here!! image >>

Thanks for the support. I like the idea some of the others on this thread have proposed. Use the big format of the half dollar to develope some really good art work. Did you see Longacre's or Ryk's thread about buying the one ounce Panda? I thought it was short enough money to buy one. Wow, was I impressed by the artwork by the Chinese. Their subtle shading makes the coin appear somewhat differently from different angles. This really is an example that the mint should use to give us more beautiful coins.
    Paul
  • Options
    CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>How in the world are they going to come up with designs that won't eventually all look alike after a while? Mountains, trees, grass? Oh, I just saw Nebraska's is the Homestead National Monument of America so at least we can look forward to one that will have have a covered wagon on it. image >>

Um......didn't your last one have a covered wagon on it???

TD >>

Yep, it did. so do most of our license plates, tourism literature, postcards, etc. It's Inevitable. I fear it's another covered wagon quarter for the clog buster state... Nebraska. image

Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>Looking through the list of national parks......I realized that I've never heard of most of them. Admit it, you haven't either......image >>

i don`t know most of them either. but... all these sites were someones "stomping grounds" where they grew up. the one from CT is Weir`s farm. i knew it as Weir`s pond. it was made a national park in 1990. it was a half hour hike through the woods from my house. from the late sixties through the seventies i used to camp there as a kid. my point being even though we never heard of it others will connect with it. too bad i have to wait till 2020 for "my" coin. image

edit for mistakesimage
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options
    Looking through the list of national parks......I realized that I've never heard of most of them. Admit it, you haven't either

I recognize 22 of the 56 parks, and I've been to 7 of them!!!!!

These are great parks...I just hope the Mint artists are up to the task!!! image
  • Options
    One of my favorite parks...Shenandoah National Park!!!
    I go every October for the fall foliage.

Skyline Drive is breathtaking!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file