Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1857 Seated Half Dollar. Opinions?

This is a new purchase to my type set. After looking at a plethora of past heritage auctions for this date, I concluded that this was a better than average AU example. Any opiinons on eye appeal, grade and value are welcome.
All coins kept in safety deposit box.

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The images are a bit underlit, but the coin is a dipped AU that many folks, but not all, would like very much. The reverse looks somewhat funky with respect to surface preservation, but that might be an artifact of lighting and image compression.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to tell from the images.

AU53.
  • Options
    Tough read from the pics. What is going on under the eagle's left wing?

merse

• Options
    My vote is for MS61 cleaned.
  • Options
    FredFFredF Posts: 526 ✭✭✭
    Hard to see from the photo but how is the strike in the hair? I've looked at a images of a few 1857's trying for one for my mint set and many seem to have weakness (almost looking like she's bald on top with a pony tail) even in "higher" grades but there are some that have good strikes. There's at least some definition to her hair which is good. I can't tell dipped or not but if she's dipped then she's retoned in a way that most would find unobjectionable. I think this is a nice add to your set.

P.S. Any idea why they don't have FH designation for the seated series like they do the standing series?

-Fred

Successful BST (me as buyer) with: Collectorcoins, PipestonePete, JasonRiffeRareCoins

• Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    light old not real bad cleaning , market acceptable I think. I myself am of the opinion that the coin has a lot going for it when set beside most AU's available.

I like the color and the detail and strike is very good overall. I can see the coin in an au 58 slab but would not be amazed at ms62.

I do think the image really highlights the hairlines on the obverse more then they can be seen in hand, I would suggest that if a better Image were posted we all would like this coin a great deal.
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Let me start off by saying i wouldn't mind owning that coin.

Opinion?

Very nice detail, but lots of small hits on the obverse.
    Personally, for an AU, I'd rather have slight wear with clean(er) surfaces.
    The rev. is probably what I question the most.
    Whatever is going on under the eagle's left wing is pretty cool, EXCEPT I don't know what is causing it!
    Clashed dies? Maybe, but I don't think so.
    And what is up with the reverse?
    Enviro damage that was 'preserved' awhile ago?
    Looks like an ANACS holder.....net graded?

I like it....or dislike the coin for what it is based on the price.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    The metal on the reverse seems to be pitted,

or perhaps rusted dies? I just do not like the

reverse at all. Something is not right there but

I can not tell from the picture.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    better then ave. for au-50? or au-58???

K S
  • Options
    Ok, sorry for the long wait. I did not have the coin in hand, but I do now. The coin is chalk full of luster, with a few hits and hairlines. Possibly an light old cleaning, but most of them are from circulation imo. The photos in the direct light make the hairlines look way stronger than they really are in hand, but it also helps bring out the luster. I believe the area below the wing is a strong die clash. The raised metal blobs around the reverse, I'm not quite sure about. The luster fully covers this area, and I have seen this on my other top TPG seated coins, but not quite as extreme as on this one. This is an upgrade for my type set, and I adore the toning: various layers of orange/gold/brown and blue around the rim. I took photos in different light settings

• Options
    Glad that you like her in hand. Your pics are definitely an improvement. Thanks for sharing.

merse

• Options
    My guess was a 55, but it has appeal!! Nice going.
  • Options
    I like the 2nd to last photo - it shows off the reverse best. Looks like a late die state or rusted die with a strong clash. Pretty cool and definitely interesting.

The coin has good details, it would be a nice addition to many type sets. When I was trying for a type set I wanted all MS coins but ran out of money. Next time I think I will try for all XF coins.
  • Options
    Yeah, there are certainly better type examples out there to fill the "no motto" hole in my type set. This one does'nt stand out as a type example, but it does stand out somewhat in my opinion for the date. I don't know how accurate PCGS coin facts are on population estimates, but the total pop estimate was 1,500, and only 100 in MS-60 or better. The Heritage archives seem to reflect that as only a couple dozen MS examples were sold, and the majority of the AU examples were in problem holders. Even the ones that weren't in problem holders really didn't look all that attractive to me. Although I'm not anywhere near an expert, but it strikes me as a rather tough date to find in nice condition.
    http://coins.ha.com/common/search_results.php?D=1857&Ne=16&Ntt=1857&Ntk=SI_Titles&Ntx=mode+matchall&N=51+790+231+373+67
  • Options
    Oh, and I paid $227.00 for the coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file