Home Precious Metals
Options

Palladium on a nice run

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
for the last few days. Somewhat independent of Au and Ag...

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭
    Kudo's to those who bought it when it was under $200. I loaded up at $230. It may still be relatively cheap now...
  • Options
    Just my luck! I loaded up with Platinum now I am stuck.
    Many successful BST transactions ajia
    (x2,Meltdown),cajun,Swampboy,SeaEagleCoins,InYHWHWeTrust, bstat1020,Spooly,timrutnat,oilstates200, vpr, guitarwes,
    mariner67, and Mikes coins
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Just ordered some of the 2009 Canadian maple leafs in Palladium from APMEX... I have long felt that Palladium was underpriced. It's still way under its recent highs of the past few years.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    I hope it drops back down $60 or more so I can pick up another kilo or so image
    Its all relative
  • Options

<< <i>Just ordered some of the 2009 Canadian maple leafs in Palladium from APMEX... I have long felt that Palladium was underpriced. It's still way under its recent highs of the past few years. >>

I feel the same way, one of the biggest factors will be how much Palladium is left of Russia's stockpile which some claim is almost depleted.
    The other big factors include fuel cell technology, substiution of Platinum for Palladium in automobile converters due to cost and probably a pipe dream but cold fusion should it ever be realized would require Palladium.
  • Options
    (x2,Meltdown),cajun,Swampboy,SeaEagleCoins,InYHWHWeTrust, bstat1020,Spooly,timrutnat,oilstates200, vpr, guitarwes,
  • Options

<< <i>Palladium: The New Platinum >>

There are so many things wrong with that article its not even funny.
    Its all relative
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are so many things wrong with that article its not even funny.

I do think that article is kinda funny. Almost 100% hype. However, I do like palladium somewhat and am considering buying some of the new Maples with my next batch of money, but not because of that article.

To suggest that palladium is rarer than platinum, 1/4th the price, and mainly obtained from a major source that is politically hostile and that the car companies should therefore jump on it, is somewhat nuts.

If it's rarer, doesn't that mean it will become harder to procure? If it's only 1/4th the price now and has no demand now, doesn't that mean it would jump in price as soon as demand materializes? How smart a business decision would that be for the car companies to have their cost justification shot down the minute they made the decision?

Nobody ever talks about how platinum and palladium compare in performance and durability. I'm thinking that platinum has some advantages in both performance and durability. Does anyone here know how they compare in terms of catalysis and in terms of toughness?

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭
    Anyone purchasing a 09 Palladium Maple Leaf from APMEX. I am willing to trade a Pamp Pd 1 oz Bar and an SAE or pm me and we can work something out. Thanks!
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone purchasing a 09 Palladium Maple Leaf from APMEX. I am willing to trade a Pamp Pd 1 oz Bar and an SAE or pm me and we can work something out. Thanks! >>

You know, AMPEX will trade to buy their product! you should call them and check if they will trade what you have for what you want.
  • Options
    Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭
    They will trade but I lose from their buy/sell spread.
  • Options

<< <i>There are so many things wrong with that article its not even funny.

I do think that article is kinda funny. Almost 100% hype. However, I do like palladium somewhat and am considering buying some of the new Maples with my next batch of money, but not because of that article.

To suggest that palladium is rarer than platinum, 1/4th the price, and mainly obtained from a major source that is politically hostile and that the car companies should therefore jump on it, is somewhat nuts.

If it's rarer, doesn't that mean it will become harder to procure? If it's only 1/4th the price now and has no demand now, doesn't that mean it would jump in price as soon as demand materializes? How smart a business decision would that be for the car companies to have their cost justification shot down the minute they made the decision?

Nobody ever talks about how platinum and palladium compare in performance and durability. I'm thinking that platinum has some advantages in both performance and durability. Does anyone here know how they compare in terms of catalysis and in terms of toughness? >>

I thought that Platinum and Palladium were about on par rarity wise and hadn't heard that Palladium was more rare. One thing for sure is the PGM's make Gold look as common as gravel when looking at the total production each year.
    Both Platinum and Palladium can be used in automobile catalytic converters but Platinum is superior however if China and India were to get serious about pollution they would undoubtedly use whichever PGM is cheapest and right now that would be Palladium, when you sell $2,000 cars to the masses you have to cut corners.
    Another interesting characteristic of Palladium is it's incredible ability to absorb Hydrogen so if fuel cell technology ever takes hold Palladium is a key component.