Home U.S. Coin Forum

Can anyone help me find a Scan-o-matic???

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm trying to find a Scan-o-matic and thought I'd see if anyone knows if they're still sold as new items??

Al H.

Comments

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My parents bought me one when I was about 12. It's probably still up in Ma's attic somewhere. Been in the house since 1956, and she ain't never thrown anything away......

What do you want one for? It was a piece of crap, as I recall.

TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • jfoot13jfoot13 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭
    seems as though I remember them being advertised in old comic books... might check with a comic collector and get the contact info from one of the old ads
    If you can't swim you better stay in the boat.......
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    used ones run through eBay every couple months
    I'd rather have a Bass-O-Matic!!!!!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't seen one of those in a couple of decades!

Talk about a blast from the past!
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • FreeFree Posts: 148 ✭✭
    Please pardon my ignorance, but what is a Scan-O-Matic? I tried google, wikipedia, etc. but couldn't find anything about this.
  • link This one sold last Saturday on ebay.
    A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore.
    Yogi Berra

The link does not work.
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now I want one

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah, memories! I bought mine from Sears Christmas catalog many years ago. Wish I still had it.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • drkilmerdrkilmer Posts: 166 ✭✭
    Think I just about wore mine out back in the '70's. Probably in a box somewhere. Haha ... it would be cool to try it out again.
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in the 1960's you could find the Scan-O-Matic at E.J. Korvette's stores.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>E.J. Korvette's stores. >>

They used to have the best selection of LPs back in the mid-late '70s, including imports and indie labels.
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!

• << <i>

They used to have the best selection of LPs back in the mid-late '70s, including imports and indie labels. >>

Best prices too! I got all my records there. 87th & Cicero Chicago (Hometown?) IL.

I want a Close N Play!

• << <i>Ah, memories! I bought mine from Sears Christmas catalog many years ago. Wish I still had it. >>

Was that the catalog from the outhouse??image
  • mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Ah, memories! I bought mine from Sears Christmas catalog many years ago. Wish I still had it. >>

Was that the catalog from the outhouse??image >>

BEWARE THE SHINEY PAGES!image
  • thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the price of this item just increased by about 15 hundred percent !
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082

The new “Scan-o-Matic” is included in the updated full-choke 12 ga Salad-Shooter. NRA approved, too!
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well, if anyone has one that is in good working order i'd gladly buy it and pay the shipping/insurance.

this handy little item was actually invented by a local dealer who seems to have disappeared into the vapor of time leaving no contact info. we had one Scan-o-matic in the store but one of the two moving parts finally wore out after "looking" at perhaps 1-1/2 to 2 million cents and we use(ed) it daily. currently we have about 160 bags of Wheat Cents that we've searched during 2009, about 30 waiting to be searched and we're still buying. the shop joke is that we have about as many Wheaties in the shop as the entire Mintage of 1909-S VDB's!!

for those unfamiliar with the Scan-o-matic, here's how it works with the picture below for reference..........................
    1. The coins are placed in the tube sticking up from the unit and rest on the slide which can be seen protruding from the right side.
    2. The slide is pulled outward to the right until a coin drops into a hole cut out of the end.
    3. The slide is then pushed to the left back inside of the Scan-o-matic.
    4. In the middle is a hole with a very lighweight piece of spring steel. The coin's weight pushes it down and the slide passes over it to push the coin under the lighted magnifyer for viewing.
    5. The slide is then pushed all the way to the left till it comes against a stop, and when it's pulled back to the right the coin flips over so the other side can be viewed.
    6. Pulling the slide back farther allows the spring to lift up to expose the hole and the coin drops out.
    7. When the slide reaches the tube another coin drops into it and the process repeats.

it actually takes only a few seconds to look at each coin, especially if the obverse is up when the process starts. the tube holds about 50 coins so once you get the "rythym" down you can crank out a bag pretty quick. the part that wore out is the spring. i tried to repair it but the coins will no longer rest on it as they're pushed acros, they keep falling to the side and out the hole. i'd say my boss got his money's worth out of it.

so again, if you can lead me to one or several of these i'd really be grateful.

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the price of this item just increased by about 15 hundred percent ! >>

Most definitely!! I want one too now!!! image
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like (from Keets description) this would potentially introduce some wear and tear on the coins as they are slid against one another in the tray (not having ever seen it, I could be completely wrong here).

Otherwise, it seems like it would take a monumental task and reduce it to merely mundane.
    the fact of wear doesn't even come into play when you're considering G-VF coins tops. i mean, it isn't like we're looking at 5,000 coin bags of BU Wheat Cents.image
    any other help out there??

• << <i>any other help out there?? >>

I am afraid you may have just made it much harder to find one of these, until several want lists are filled. image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Hey Keets, I found a Scan-O-Matic on ebay!

Cool!

Ciao,
    Ciccio

• << <i>

<< <i>

They used to have the best selection of LPs back in the mid-late '70s, including imports and indie labels. >>

Best prices too! I got all my records there. 87th & Cicero Chicago (Hometown?) IL.

I want a Close N Play! >>

Actually one corner N/E is Chicago , S/E is Hometown , S/W is Oak Lawn , & N/W is Burbank........

Dan
    Fishing is not a matter of life and death.......It's much more important than that........
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I thought I was going to get one last week, it was at $2.25 until last when all these snipe bids came in

dang coin freaks and their high bid sniping
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tryed having it repaired?
    i managed to buy two of them, one from a board member and another via eBay in the original box with some paperwork. thanks for the help, guys.image

• LostSislerLostSisler Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    I think that the price of these just went up!
    Because to Err is Human.
    I specialize in Errors, Minting, Counterfeit Detection & Grading.
    Computer-aided grading, counterfeit detection, recognition and imaging.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file