Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is this a new SGC flip, old SGC flip, or not SGC at all?

I've never seen an SGC flip like this.

'65 Topps Mantle

Comments

• Options
    csmtampacsmtampa Posts: 1,828
    old flip
  • Options
    BigDaddyBowmanBigDaddyBowman Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭
    it is a very old flip from the early years of SGC..they then switched to the labels that are similar to the current ones but they had no 1-10 conversion scale...the current flips (used the last 5 years or so) have the 1-100 and a 1-10 scale on the flip.
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    thanks. I had just never seen one of those before. They must have tightened up on their grading standards since then too. That is an ugly 8.
  • Options
    Yes grading was a little softer on the old flips, same goes for PSA old flips, got to be careful buying any for crossover.
  • Options
    Definitely an old flip and very "unique".
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Definitely an old flip and very "unique". >>

very. Odd, even.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    That is the "original" flip from the Joe Merkle days of SGC (they were preceded by the days when Merkle ran SBC). The second flip came to being around mid-1999 and then the final flip emerged (with the 1-10 scale added) in 2000. The only other changes since the new flip have been the reverse holograms and then the embossed etching.
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474

<< <i>That is the "original" flip from the Joe Merkle days of SGC (they were preceded by the days when Merkle ran SBC). The second flip came to being around mid-1999 and then the final flip emerged (with the 1-10 scale added) in 2000. The only other changes since the new flip have been the reverse holograms and then the embossed etching. >>

Does SGC's payback program include cards in these flips?
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options

<< <i>I've never seen an SGC flip like this.

'65 Topps Mantle >>

I've seen those flips before. I just always thought they were from a different grading company and not sgc.
  • Options
    65/35 LR and 67/33 T/B... it's technically within PSA 8 requirements although I doubt that matters this issue really stands out when OC.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seller has a number of PSA cards for auction - might be a reason he didn't crack and submit to PSA. Just a total and complete guess, but it wouldn't surprise me if there's a spooned out wrinkle, that came back, on that card.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would SGC reslab that card into a new holder?
    Mike
  • Options
    You got some SGC history right there!
  • Options
    jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Really ugly 8 right there...no way that one gets cracked out. Bet it goes pretty cheap.

Jeff
  • Options
    8OC?
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Would SGC reslab that card into a new holder? >>

Yes, they would, to wit:

/s/ JackWESQ