Home U.S. Coin Forum

Kolbe's List No. 49: frustrating, or fun?

DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
From George Frederick Kolbe's list no. 49:

"After the 2007 move, George Frederick Kolbe / Fine Numismatic Books discovered thousands of excess numismatic publications put aside over the past quarter century. Some are offered for sale here. . . . Items are listed as they were encountered; there is no index." [emphasis added]

What follows is a list of 1,179 numismatic books, catalogs, monographs, etc., starting with Pellicer i Bru and ending with Schweikart --- with everything from A to Z in between, in no particular order!

Or seemingly no particular order.... I've only spent a few minutes scouring the list's excessively abundant riches, and I do see the occasional pattern emerging... a short run of publications relating to Chinese coins here, another short run of German books there.... but even those "patterns" seem random, with no internal logic (alphabetical or thematic). They truly appear random, as the catalog copy notes ("listed as they were encountered").

This makes for a fun, treasure-hunting feeling, like exploring an old book shop in disarray. But it's also a bit frustrating, not being able to scan by author name or by theme.

I think he's forcing us to read the entire catalog. Cleverness, thy name is Kolbe!

Comments

• DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    Longacre, feel free to weigh in; surely a highly paid assistant executive secretary dropped a copy onto your hand-burnished burlwood-and-inlaid-Turkish-silver desk this afternoon.

• LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    How did I miss this thread the first time, and how did my assistant not inform me of it? Those are two questions I need to find the answers to.

I need to print the list and take a look. It is on the "to do" list, and I will do it righy now!!
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too late, I bought all the good stuff! Just kidding, but the shorecoll library is now at 11,013 books.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

• << <i>How did I miss this thread the first time, and how did my assistant not inform me of it? Those are two questions I need to find the answers to.

I need to print the list and take a look. It is on the "to do" list, and I will do it righy now!! >>

My goodness, Dentuck...you've done it now... Longacre is in such a frothy frenzy that he has done something that he rarely, if ever, does... he has "commited" a typo image "...will do it righy now"... this is an historic moment in Numismatic Literary History...

Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image

<< <i>

<< <i>How did I miss this thread the first time, and how did my assistant not inform me of it? Those are two questions I need to find the answers to.

I need to print the list and take a look. It is on the "to do" list, and I will do it righy now!! >>

My goodness, Dentuck...you've done it now... Longacre is in such a frothy frenzy that he has done something that he rarely, if ever, does... he has "commited" a typo image "...will do it righy now"... this is an historic moment in Numismatic Literary History...

image >>

Larry-- the boards know that Longacre's fingers are too genteel to touch a typewriter's keys, and his executive assistant does the posts via dication. I will need to fire her immediately. image
  • KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

> his executive assistant does the posts via dication

Ahhhh, but we were all under the impression Mr. Longacre proofed her work before the reply to thread button was clicked. Are you sure the typo isn't in fact direct evidence of a Monday Morning frothy frenzy? It seems to quack like a duck and walk like a duck image
  • MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is fun...and funny. But a list of 1,179 numismatic books, catalogs, monographs?? Who has time to go through all that? Some of us have lives and responsibilities outside of numismatics.

Now if it were 1,179 rare colonial coins that were offered to me at a substantial discount to their current market value, I think I could make the time.

• firstmintfirstmint Posts: 1,171
    I considered it a worthwhile challenge.
    PM me if you are looking for U.S. auction catalogs
    Seriously, I still cannot find a link to this list. Does anyone have a link?
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I scanned the list when I got it, probably too quickly as I did not find much of interest. Actually, I did see one thing, but wasn't sure if I had a copy of it already (bad sign when you don't know what's in your own library). A more careful reading will probably reveal a few things that I "need."

More worthy of the "Frothy Frenzy" sticker of approval is David Sklow's recent announcement of QDB deaccessions. It appears to be much of the source material used for QDB's California Gold Rush History, but it is hard to say for sure from the information so far released.

With Mssrs. Fanning and Sklow now doing regular auction sales in addition to Mr. Kolbe & Mr. Davis, there is lots of material to choose from lately. And let us not forget our own FirstMint who has been issuing fixed price lists for quite a long time.
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No link Longacre, it's actually a printed item? I complained to GFK about the number of recent auctions...his reply was that I had six months to save for the Stack's sale...sheesh!
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gasp! Is Longacre NOT on Sir Kolbe's mailing list? I am shocked.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file