Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this $10 bill worth anything?

I know this forum is for coins but I thought one of you might be able to help me. I found this old $10 bill the other day in some change I got back from the store and was wondering if it might be worth any thing more than ten dollars. I would really appreciate any help .

Comments

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    No dealer would give you more then $10 for it, but I think it's a neat thing to hold on to.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No dealer would give you more then $10 for it, but I think it's a neat thing to hold on to.

-Paul >>

You can build a fine Silver Certificate collection just from searching bills in circulation at face value... it's a good way to save some dough too! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the message boards. You can try your question in the currency forum and see if you get a different answer over there.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    It's not quite a silver certificate, is it? More like a Federal Reserve Note.
    "Redeemable in lawful money", whatever that is supposed to be.
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    Probably little if any premium but I'd hold onto it.

P.S. there is a currency forum here. On the main forums page, scroll to the bottom and you should find it.
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    I didn't realize this was your first post, image to the boards!!!

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    Thanks for the help everyone. Sorry I didn't see the currency forum before I posted this.
  • Options
    direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the help everyone. Sorry I didn't see the currency forum before I posted this. >>

Welcome to the boards.

Stick around a bit and you'll find plenty of cool things that you can look for in change.

I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's not quite a silver certificate, is it? More like a Federal Reserve Note.
    "Redeemable in lawful money", whatever that is supposed to be. >>

Oops I didn't scroll down far enough to see the whole note image

Someone dealing with hard times in this economy must have pulled this from a drawer, etc.

It's tough to even find 1950's series bills in circulation today, let alone a 1934... neat-o find! image

I'm still hopeful to find a Brasher Doubloon in a roll of Sacajawea's... no luck yet! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Welcome!
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buys a lot less than it did in 1934, but its still worth $10.

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    rbfrbf Posts: 452 ✭✭
    I have a few of these 1934 $10 notes lying around; don't remember where I got them from. I'm pretty sure you can get around $12.50 ~ $15.00 apiece for them though.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Before they added the:

"In God We Trust".

Ed
  • Options
    mumumumu Posts: 1,840
    I have the same one, also got it in change and in about the same condition. It has a "book value" of ~30$ in that condition, which means you can probabl get 9$ for it. As someone else said, its just cool to keep.
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    Get rid of it.. The bill you have has possible swine flu juice on it... Can you imagine where that note has been.image
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    My Mother (God rest her soul) got this one in change a few years ago also. I switched it out then for the current 10 spot. They have a tendancy to stick out like a sore thumb.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    NewEnglandNotesNewEnglandNotes Posts: 260 ✭✭✭
    The 8th edition of Schwartz-Lindquist has both notes listed as $11 in VF. Keep them if you like them, don't feel bad if you spend them though.
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    $14.99-$25 on eBay LINK
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey woodenjefferson- that 10 spot you posted looks to have some nice toning in the portrait frame!!!
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    That note will never be worth more than $10.

Spend it
  • Options
    I got one in change a few years back.....gave it to my daughter who asked me to sell it for her on Ebay.....I got $14 for it...hardly worth the time of listing and the trip to the post office image

I would just hold onto it as a keepsake......good ice breaker for sure.
  • Options
    eggboneeggbone Posts: 615
    Cool note. Worth $10
    I would keep it "just because.

• Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

These notes stick out like sore thumbs on those rare occasions you cross paths with one. A similar $10.00 came to me in change a couple of years ago when we lived in NY. I kept it for awhile and then put it back into circulation. I've long since given up on the notion I should keep everything interesting, rather than allow someone I'll never know to have a nice find.
  • Options
    Try looking at APMEX.com and see if they have any for sale and that will be around what it is worth.
    In the time of Chimpanzee's
    I was a Monkey
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>hey woodenjefferson- that 10 spot you posted looks to have some nice toning in the portrait frame!!! >>

Hey....I could list it on e-Bay as a "Monster Toned" $10 Bill

I'm rich Bawhahahahahaha!
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    I think that you could get $15.00 for it.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Adjusted for inflation
    probably around $4.00
    please send to me postage paid
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    It as a common $10 Series 1934A Federal Reserve Note (Green Seal), worth about face value. If it were a $10 Silver Certificate (Blue Seal) it would be a keeper, however.
    Find a way to do it today.

Peace,
    Steve
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    A few years ago I got a $50 like that, I held it for a few years then decided it was costing me $50 to keep it. I offered it to someone for $50 just to find a home for it and make someone happy.

Ed
  • Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    I'll pay you via PayPal $11 delivered. You'll only lose a dime or so plus the cost of an envelope. imageimage
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

<< <i>Adjusted for inflation
    probably around $4.00
    please send to me postage paid >>

Don't laugh, those days are near or already here..imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file