Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

MtG grades popped

Well, I broke down back in January and sent in some of the last cards I had lying around. Nothing too special, but I figured I'd splurge a little (of course, then my work cut both my OT and hourly pay... aargh!!!). Oh well, nothing I can do about that now, so here they are...

1 MINT 9 1993 MAGIC THE GATHERING ARABIAN NIGHTS EBONY HORSE Card US
2 MINT 9 1993 MAGIC THE GATHERING ARABIAN NIGHTS ERG RAIDERS Card US
3 MINT 9 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING ANTIQUITIES AMULET OF KROOG ANTIQUITIES Card US
4 GEM MINT 10 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING ANTIQUITIES ASHNOD'S BATTLE GEAR ANTIQUITIES Card
5 GEM MINT 10 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING ANTIQUITIES ATOG ANTIQUITIES Card US
6 GEM MINT 10 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING ANTIQUITIES CLAY STATUE ANTIQUITIES Card US
7 MINT 9 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING ANTIQUITIES DAMPING FIELD ANTIQUITIES Card US
8 MINT 9 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING ANTIQUITIES DETONATE ANTIQUITIES Card US
9 GEM MINT 10 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING ANTIQUITIES DRAFNA'S RESTORTN. ANTIQUITIES Card US
10 GEM MINT 10 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING ANTIQUITIES DRAGON ENGINE ANTIQUITIES Card US
11 GEM MINT 10 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING ANTIQUITIES ENERGY FLUX ANTIQUITIES Card US
12 MINT 9 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING ANTIQUITIES OBELISK OF UNDOING ANTIQUITIES Card US
13 GEM MINT 10 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING ANTIQUITIES PHYREXIAN GREMLINS ANTIQUITIES Card
14 MINT 9 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING ANTIQUITIES POWER ARTIFACT ANTIQUITIES Card US
15 GEM MINT 10 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING ANTIQUITIES RECONSTRUCTION ANTIQUITIES Card US
16 GEM MINT 10 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING ANTIQUITIES TABLET OF EPITYR ANTIQUITIES Card US
17 MINT 9 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING ANTIQUITIES TRANSMUTT ARTIFACT ANTIQUITIES Card US
18 MINT 9 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS ACTIVE VOLCANO LEGENDS Card US
19 MINT 9 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS CAT WARRIORS LEGENDS Card US
20 MINT 9 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS CAVERNS OF DESPAIR LEGENDS Card US
21 MINT 9 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS CYCLOPEAN MUMMY LEGENDS Card US
22 MINT 9 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS DISHARMONY LEGENDS Card US
23 GEM MINT 10 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS DIVINE OFFERING LEGENDS Card US
24 MINT 9 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS ENCHANTMENT ALTERATION-LEGENDS Card US
25 GEM MINT 10 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS EQUINOX LEGENDS Card US
26 MINT 9 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS FALLING STAR LEGENDS Card US
27 MINT 9 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS FEINT LEGENDS Card US
28 GEM MINT 10 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS FLASH FLOOD LEGENDS Card US
28 GEM MINT 10 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS FLASH FLOOD LEGENDS Card US
29 GEM MINT 10 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS GASEOUS FORM LEGENDS Card US
30 GEM MINT 10 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS GHOSTS OF THE DAMNED-LEGENDS Card US
31 GEM MINT 10 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS GIANT SLUG LEGENDS Card US
32 MINT 9 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS GIANT STRENGTH LEGENDS Card US
32 GEM MINT 10 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS GIANT STRENGTH LEGENDS Card US
33 GEM MINT 10 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS GLYPH OF DOOM Card US
34 MINT 9 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS HELL SWARM LEGENDS Card US
34 GEM MINT 10 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS HELL SWARM LEGENDS Card US
34 MINT 9 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS HELL SWARM LEGENDS Card US
35 GEM MINT 10 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS HORROR OF HORRORS LEGENDS Card US
36 GEM MINT 10 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS KEEPERS OF FAITH LEGENDS Card US
36 GEM MINT 10 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS KEEPERS OF FAITH LEGENDS Card US
37 GEM MINT 10 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS LOST SOUL LEGENDS Card US
37 MINT 9 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS LOST SOUL LEGENDS Card US
38 MINT 9 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS OSAI VULTURES LEGENDS Card US
38 MINT 9 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS OSAI VULTURES LEGENDS Card US
39 GEM MINT 10 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS PIT SCORPION LEGENDS Card US
40 GEM MINT 10 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS PSYCHIC PURGE LEGENDS Card US
41 GEM MINT 10 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS PUPPET MASTER LEGENDS Card US
42 MINT 9 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS REMOVE SOUL LEGENDS Card US
43 MINT 9 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS REVELATION LEGENDS Card US
44 GEM MINT 10 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS SENTINEL LEGENDS Card US
45 GEM MINT 10 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS SPIRIT SHACKLE LEGENDS Card US
45 MINT 9 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS SPIRIT SHACKLE LEGENDS Card US
46 MINT 9 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS SYPHON SOUL LEGENDS Card US
47 MINT 9 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS VAMPIRE BATS LEGENDS Card US
47 GEM MINT 10 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS VAMPIRE BATS LEGENDS Card US
48 GEM MINT 10 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS WALKING DEAD LEGENDS Card US
49 MINT 9 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS WALL OF SHADOWS LEGENDS Card US
49 GEM MINT 10 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS WALL OF SHADOWS LEGENDS Card US
50 MINT 9 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING LEGENDS ZEPHYR FALCON LEGENDS Card US
51 GEM MINT 10 1993 MAGIC THE GATHERING UNLIMITED KARMA Card US
52 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1993 MAGIC THE GATHERING UNLIMITED KELDON WARLORD Card US
53 GEM MINT 10 1999 MAGIC THE GATHERING PORTAL THREE KINGDOMS 107 DESERT SANDSTORM Card
54 GEM MINT 10 1999 MAGIC THE GATHERING PORTAL THREE KINGDOMS 76 GHOSTLY VISIT Card US
55 GEM MINT 10 1999 MAGIC THE GATHERING PORTAL THREE KINGDOMS 170 ISLAND Card US
56 GEM MINT 10 1999 MAGIC THE GATHERING PORTAL THREE KINGDOMS 13 MISFORTUNE'S GAIN Card
57 GEM MINT 10 1999 MAGIC THE GATHERING PORTAL THREE KINGDOMS 24 SHU FOOT SOLDIERS Card
57 GEM MINT 10 1999 MAGIC THE GATHERING PORTAL THREE KINGDOMS 24 SHU FOOT SOLDIERS Card
58 GEM MINT 10 1999 MAGIC THE GATHERING PORTAL THREE KINGDOMS 29 VIRTUOUS CHARGE Card
59 GEM MINT 10 1999 MAGIC THE GATHERING PORTAL THREE KINGDOMS 60 WU LIGHT CAVALRY Card
60 GEM MINT 10 1999 MAGIC THE GATHERING PORTAL THREE KINGDOMS 62 WU SCOUT Card US
61 GEM MINT 10 1999 MAGIC THE GATHERING PORTAL THREE KINGDOMS 127 YELLOW SEARVES TROOPS Card US
62 GEM MINT 10 1995 MAGIC THE GATHERING 4TH EDITION DARK RITUAL Card US
63 GEM MINT 10 1995 MAGIC THE GATHERING 4TH EDITION EBONY HORSE Card US
64 GEM MINT 10 1995 MAGIC THE GATHERING 4TH EDITION HURKYL'S RECALL Card US
65 GEM MINT 10 1995 MAGIC THE GATHERING 4TH EDITION ISLAND FISH JASCONIUS Card US
66 GEM MINT 10 1995 MAGIC THE GATHERING 4TH EDITION KARMA Card US
67 GEM MINT 10 1995 MAGIC THE GATHERING 4TH EDITION LIGHTNING BOLT Card US
68 GEM MINT 10 1995 MAGIC THE GATHERING 4TH EDITION LLANOWAR ELVES Card US
68 GEM MINT 10 1995 MAGIC THE GATHERING 4TH EDITION LLANOWAR ELVES Card US
69 GEM MINT 10 1995 MAGIC THE GATHERING 4TH EDITION MANA CLASH Card US
70 GEM MINT 10 1995 MAGIC THE GATHERING 4TH EDITION MISHRA'S FACTORY Card US
71 GEM MINT 10 1995 MAGIC THE GATHERING 4TH EDITION RAG MAN Card US
72 GEM MINT 10 1995 MAGIC THE GATHERING 4TH EDITION WHITE KNIGHT Card US
73 GEM MINT 10 1995 MAGIC THE GATHERING 4TH EDITION WINTER ORB Card US
74 GEM MINT 10 1996 MAGIC THE GATHERING ALLIANCES THAWING GLACIERS Card US
75 GEM MINT 10 1996 MAGIC THE GATHERING MIRAGE MIST DRAGON Card US
76 GEM MINT 10 1996 MAGIC THE GATHERING MIRAGE PHYREXIAN DREADNOUGHT Card US
77 GEM MINT 10 1997 MAGIC THE GATHERING VISIONS PILLAR TOMBS OF AKU Card US
78 GEM MINT 10 1997 MAGIC THE GATHERING WEATHERLIGHT ABEYANCE Card US
79 GEM MINT 10 1997 MAGIC THE GATHERING WEATHERLIGHT LOTUS VALE Card US
79 GEM MINT 10 1997 MAGIC THE GATHERING WEATHERLIGHT LOTUS VALE Card US
80 GEM MINT 10 1997 MAGIC THE GATHERING TEMPEST ALUREN Card US
81 GEM MINT 10 1997 MAGIC THE GATHERING TEMPEST COMMANDER GREVEN IL-VEC Card US
82 MINT 9 1998 MAGIC THE GATHERING STRONGHOLD DREAM HALLS Card US
83 MINT 9 1998 MAGIC THE GATHERING EXODUS 143 CITY OF TRAITORS Card US
84 GEM MINT 10 1998 MAGIC THE GATHERING EXODUS 33 ERTAI, WIZARD ADEPT Card US
85 GEM MINT 10 1999 MAGIC THE GATHERING URZA'S LEGACY 107 MULTANI, MARO-SORCERER Card US
86 GEM MINT 10 1999 MAGIC THE GATHERING URZA'S LEGACY 38 PALINCHRON Card US
87 GEM MINT 10 1999 MAGIC THE GATHERING URZA'S DESTINY 1 ACADEMY RECTOR Card US
88 GEM MINT 10 1999 MAGIC THE GATHERING URZA'S DESTINY 134 MASTICORE Card US
89 GEM MINT 10 1999 MAGIC THE GATHERING URZA'S DESTINY 135 METALWORKER Card US
90 GEM MINT 10 1999 MAGIC THE GATHERING URZA'S DESTINY 136 POWDER KEG Card US
Total Items: 105
Date Received: 2/2/2009
Date Shipped: 3/19/2009
Order Status: Shipped

I was a little disappointed overall - I really felt that there should have been another 2-4 10's in the Antiquities and another 10-14 10's in the Legends. I don't think PSA did a bad job per se, just a little tougher than at other times. I do know that the Keldon Warlord was the worst card in the lot, and the 2 Arabian Nights weren't really 10's, so PSA nailed those. In addition, the 6-7 borderline Legends cards I put in also got 9's, so again PSA and I seem to be on the same page. Still, I'll have to do more cracking then I planned... sigh.

My biggest complaint is the flips - several misspellings, and all 15 "4th Edition" should be "Alternate 4th". I know PSA will fix them if I send them back, but will they reimburse me the postage to get them there? I'm happy they shipped so soon, but I never got a chance to report the problem before they left image

Take it easy,
Jared
"You consider me the young apprentice,
Caught between the Scylla and Charibdes,
Hypnotized by you if I should linger,
Staring at the ring around your finger" - Sting

Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

Comments

• Options
    Good Day,

Well no matter how much crap I give you, that's some nice eyein' there!! I think you did awesome to get that many 10's even though I don't know anything about the cards, just the quantity shows some serious skill, the way PSA has been hammerin' of late.
    Congrats On lot's of 10's!!!image

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Options
    Thanks, Neil image

Take it easy,
    Jared

Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.
  • Options
    tmmoosetmmoose Posts: 253 ✭✭
    That certainly is a great array of 10s - much better than I usually do. The antiquities I've pulled from packs recently seem to mostly come out looking like 9s, so you've not done too badly on those!
  • Options
    Thanks Michael,

I'm really fussy about what I send in, especially with "cheap" cards - I put $0 value on 9's of these cards, so at $10/pop grading (with membership, shipping, fees, and non-10's), I want to be sure and maximize my return. I probably could complete my Unlimited, Antiquities, Legends, P3K, and Alternate 4th sets if I was willing to settle for 9's (and come close on Arabian Nights too). It's OK though, as it's fun to sort through cards to submit, and I'm patient. I figure I'll end up submitting my 6 free cards and then let my membership lapse again, unless they run another $5 special in the next 9 months (then I might send in a few more cards). Hopefully I can get back into the swing of things in a year or two, and start to make some real progress image

Take it easy,
    Jared

• Options
    nice lot of cards there. and a question for any of you pack openers- what percentage of arabian / legends / antiquities would you estimate are 10's in a pack as you open them. and i know it matters on pack condition and storage and all just assume they are from sealed boxes for that sake. thanks all

dm
  • Options
    I have quite a similar view on 9 in the 'easier' sets - hence the reason my Unlimited set doesn't have any 9s in ... having said that, I'm getting tired of seeing my set so close to completion and not quite there. :-)

dm - Of the Antiquities opened packs I've submitted, I think I've had 25% come back as 10s. I just submitted another 3 or 4 packs though, so I'll let you know. I suspect the proportion may be the same though as quite a few of them looked very borderline to me. I'm just trying to complete the set in PSA 9 or better though - just trying to get it done at the moment!
  • Options
    Well, the cards just arrived home - after going through them I have 22 to send back (15 wrong variety, 4 misspelled, 2 mislabeled, 1 bad label)... ugh. Fortunately I called yesterday and PSA was very helpful and apologetic; they said I could send them back and they will reimburse me my shipping fees image . Since I needed to hit the post office this week anyway, I guess it's not too bad. Still a little miffed on some of the 9's - about a dozen of them look better than many of my previous 10's image

Oh well, I guess that's just how it goes sometimes...

Take it easy,
    Jared

• Options
    That's pretty spectacular in terms of bad labels! How do things get misspelled? Presumably that means every card has been misspelled? And what does a "bad" label look like?
  • Options
    Line 17 - Spelled "Transmutt Artifact" instead of Transmute Artifact
    Line 36 - Spelled "Keepers of Faith" instead of Keepers of the Faith x2
    Line 57 - Spelled Magi - Gathering instead of Magic - Gathering x2
    Line 61 - Spelled "Yellow Searves Troops" instead of Yellow Scarves Troops
    Line 83 - Put the version (Exodus) on the top line with "Magic - Gathering" and "#143", completely obliterating the number and version

On the plus side, 22 slabs fit perfectly in one of the boxes they send your cards back in - lucky they didn't mess up any more image

Take it easy,
    Jared

• Options
    All the issues with PSA mis-grading and mis-spelling and mis-whatevering is another reason i might start sending Beckett all my 10's and eventually stick with them. I love their cases!!!

"Only the dead have seen the end of war." - PLATO -
  • Options
    NicksBetaMagic,

I'm torn about Beckett's slab. I actually think they do look nicer than PSA's if you are displaying just 1 or 2 cards. Likewise, if you are hauling around your prize cards to show people, BGS slabs are sturdier to handle. On the other hand, if you are getting a lot of cards graded I prefer the simple look of the PSA slab. They are also half the size, so they store nicer. In addition, I think the PSA message boards and Registry simply blow Beckett out of the water image

In the end I think they both do a good job, so it really is just a matter of preference. For me personally I think I'll stick with PSA; whichever way you decide to go, good luck with your collection image

Take it easy,
    Jared

• Options
    True.

Beckett has told me they are 'working' on making their non-sports card registry more 'user friendly' but who knows. I was thinking that if I sent in my 10's to Beckett that the influx of MTG cards would make them think more seriously about their website. image Plus, I can always keep the cards I sent in to Beckett on the PSA registry...can't I???

• Options
    You said..........Since I needed to hit the post office this week anyway, I guess it's not too bad. Still a little miffed on some of the 9's - about a dozen of them look better than many of my previous 10's.....

Have you considered that those 10's were overgraded?
  • Options
    i thought they were going to start doing half grades- do they just not give those commonly?
  • Options

<< <i>You said..........Since I needed to hit the post office this week anyway, I guess it's not too bad. Still a little miffed on some of the 9's - about a dozen of them look better than many of my previous 10's.....

Have you considered that those 10's were overgraded? >>

Yep.

• Options
    I just wonder, how long did it take him to write all that out!!! Must have gotten carpal tunnels...or whatever that thing is with the tendons and stuff...
  • Options
    Jared, are you saying that that there's something wrong with my Transmutt Artifact??? image

Thanks for posting image.

-Tony
  • Options
    Hey Tony,

Great to hear from you - how are things going? Is the little one keeping you busy (I'd guess so... and probably not so little anymore - lol). Hopefully you and your family are well and enjoying the nice weather that finally arrived; winter was simply brutal here this year, don't you think?

Anyway, yeah, I finally sent in a bunch of those oddball cards I told you I had laying around. I still have about 150 Alternate 4th commons and uncommons I could send in, but I'm not sure if I want to right now (or ever, truth be told). Beyond that, I'm pretty happy with where my graded cards are at as of now. At some point down the road I figure I'll start hitting the 'Bay again and try my luck at finding submittable singles, but for now I'll just relax a little and work on "other" projects image

BTW, there's nothing wrong with your Transmutt Artifact, I think it looks great as is image

Take it easy,
    Jared

• Options
    Hi!

I am just begining to collect Alpha PSA7-9 (10 is too expensive). If you guys have some, please send cardlist to my email: xnikula(at)gmail.com

Thank You!

-T
  • Options
    AAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!!

I think you jinxed me, Tony.....

3 1 MINT 9 1994 MAGIC THE GATHERING ANTIQUITIES TRANSUMTE ARTIFACT ANTIQUITIES Card US

I just can't win.....

Take it easy,
    Jared

• Options
    Oh dear... image

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Saw the post, and being a coin person I was wondering what does it cost to submit an order like that?

I sure wish I kept all the cards I bought (and used) in the early 90s. We would trade them all day long!! Got rid of them about 10 years ago!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    Hey MadMarty,

Nice to see you over here for a change - I don't post on the coin forums very often but I love to read through them. While MtG cards are my main focus, coins were my first love and the only other thing I still collect outside of my cards. Unfortunately, half-eagles are a little too pricy these days with gold hovering over $900... sigh.

As to your question - to submit these cards you're looking at $5/each (if you wait for a special), plus shipping both ways, and $89 for a 1 year membership. I think my costs were around $700; of course I still have the rest of the year to submit, and I also got 6 free vouchers I can use. It is definitely cheaper than submitting coins, thank goodness!!!

Too bad you dumped your cards, but that's what a lot of people did unfortunately. Just remember - you're never too old to get back into collecting them image

Take it easy,
    Jared

• Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I had a box full of Alphas, Beta, Unlimititeds, a few expansions and a crapload of revised. The box was stored away until 2002 (I got laid off work). Put the whole lot on E-Bay and someone got one hell of a buy. All the heavy hitters from Alpha, Beta and Unlimited and about 10,000 cards (no land). I'm not even going to tell you what it sold for (You'll cry). But when your not working and have bills to pay, you do what you gotta do!!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    HEY GUYS!!!

This is Nicks_Beta_Gems and I just popped a PSA 10 Alpha Mox Ruby!!! It came from a Beta starter so I couldn't be happier! Just waiting for the other cards to pop but that should take about 2 months. : (

Please email me if you're interested in the card 'off eBay'. It is PERFECT and no print dots.

Thanks and Happy Collecting

Nick
  • Options
    congrats on ruby- not to many p9 10's around from alpha
  • Options
    That's great going! Congrats - that's a fantastic card with an interesting story - are you sure you want to let go of it? :-)
  • Options
    Yep. I gotta let it go. It's paying for some Beta cards that will upgrade my main set. It's a cool story and I'm sorry to see it go but it will be in a good home; and who knows ... it may find its way back to me one day. image

The other 30 Beta cards that I submitted came back super fast. It only took them about a week to grade so they must not be busy right now. 19 out of the 30 came back as GEM 10's. The prize of this submission is the PSA 10 Juggernaut! Can't wait to see him!

Thanks again Len!

Nick
  • Options
    Nick -

Did you ever do any experimenting with BGS as mentioned below? I see that there are are a number of MTG cards appearing on eBay that are BGS graded.

Can someone comment on how their pricing for grading MTG cards compares to PSA?

Thanks,

Tony
  • Options
    hey jared and all-

forgive my ignorance, what is 'alternate fourth?' also, nice submission. i just got 240 alphas back. it was like christmas. i have a lot of 9's and some 10's that i plan to put on ebay. let me know if anyone wants a list. my email is jasperwills@yahoo.com. hope all is well.

-will
    jasper
  • Options
    Tony - I don't tend to watch BGS cards very closely, but from memory, I think BGS 9.5 tends to go for about the same as PSA 10. Oher than that, I'm not sure I can be much help!

Will - Some info on alternate fourth is here: Alternate Fourth Info. Basically another printing of 4th Edition, where the cards had different physical properties, to the regular 4th Edition that was not supposed to go on general release. Some people think of it as the Summer equivalent for 4th Edition, but it is quite a lot more common. I guess if you do a bit of googling there will be a lot more info out there.
  • Options
    Hey Will,

Thanks. I tried to post earlier but the forums were down, in the meantime Michael pretty much nailed it. Per Wikipedia...

Alternate Fourth Edition
    Wizards has used Cartamundi as their card printer since Alpha. For some undocumented reason, during the production of Fourth Edition, the company experimented with using other vendors. It is possible that this was because the company was looking for a way to lower costs and gain more control over printing as Magic's playerbase grew larger and more international. Some cards were printed by the United States Playing Card Corporation, and had a thicker stock along with a glossy overcoat on the back. While these cards were not intended to be released, some starter packs were leaked out into public circulation. The cards do not glow under blacklight, unlike normal cards, and did not have the normal dot design on the back.

They're a fun little diversion of mine. Since I can't afford to buy and rip Alpha/Beta/Arabians/Summer/etc, I decided to try something that was interesting, but still affordable. Back when I had more disposable income, I bought 6 or so sealed boxes of Alternate 4th and ripped them - I'm only just submitting them now. Basically I put together 2 sets, pulled all the best cards from what was left (to submit), and then sold off the rest. At some point I'd like to get a few more sealed boxes, but for now I'm taking a break image

Please post your Alpha results or shoot me a list - I'd love to see. Who knows, I might even get a card or two image

Take it easy,
    Jared

• Options
    hey jared-

what's your email, i'll shoot you a list.

-will
    jasper
  • Options
    Hey Will,

diegodante@att.net

You can also check any of my registry sets (my address is linked to all of them)

Take it easy,
    Jared