Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Answer the question and win this card....

Hello fellow board members how is everyone this fine evening?

Heres the question and below is the prize...

Its a 2 parter and I need the correct answer...first one correct and MUST cite source wins....

Since the statistic of hits with runners in scoring position has been held..(WRISP)

Which everyday player has the highest batting average with runners in scoring position with 2 outs and with 1 out and what is their respective batting average in that statistical category.

This must be an everyday player NO pitchers qualify....

Heres a hint..

It is 2 different players

Good luck!!

The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set

Comments

• Options
    wild guess frank Thomas and Sammy Sosa
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Albert Pujols 2006 and Barry Bonds 2004

Pujols hit .435 with 2 outs, RISP in 2006
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Manny Ramirez and Albert Pujols

source: some Google research and a guess
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Willie McCovey & Hank Aaron

• Options
    pheldaphelda Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    #1 Hanley Ramirez #2 Maglio Ordonez source : hardballtimes.com
  • Options
    pheldaphelda Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    Ramirez .459, Ordonez .429
  • Options
    dpucciodpuccio Posts: 117
    Manny Ramirez .437 and Albert Pujols .435
  • Options
    Joe Mauer 2out RISP: .563
    Hanley Ramírez 1out RISP: .459

Sources:
    Yahoo Fantasy Sports - Situation Stats
    CBS Sports Fantasy Stats
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Bob Denver
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Pujols and Longoria
  • Options
    Sig: Looking for a recent smr magazine, Please pm if you have one to recycle. Thank You
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Hi Felicia,

Greetings. You say, "Since the statistic of hits with runners in scoring position has been held..(WRISP) Which everyday player has the highest batting average with runners in scoring position with 2 outs and with 1 out and what is their respective batting average in that statistical category."

Would this be over an entire career? Or for a single season? Most of the responses thus far are directed towards a single season, but your question appears to be comprehensive in nature. Thank you.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options

<< <i>Hi Felicia,

Greetings. You say, "Since the statistic of hits with runners in scoring position has been held..(WRISP) Which everyday player has the highest batting average with runners in scoring position with 2 outs and with 1 out and what is their respective batting average in that statistical category."

Would this be over an entire career? Or for a single season? Most of the responses thus far are directed towards a single season, but your question appears to be comprehensive in nature. Thank you.

/s/ JackWESQ >>

Looking for Career...
    The Link below will take you to the PSA Boards 1952 Set Build, I also have made 5 slideshows each slideshow is 100 cards long, card numbers 1-99,100-199,200-299,300-399, and 400-407
    Link To Scanned 1952 Topps Cards Set is now 90% Complete Plus Slideshows of the 52 Set
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez, I have no freakin' idea but figured I would pop in and say hello.

Hello!
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I'll guess Ichiro and Pujols...the pinnacles of consistency.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    kmnortonkmnorton Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Henry Aaron and George Brett?
    IWTDMBII
  • Options
    richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    Stan Musial and Cap Anson
    Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • Options
    Felicia and Felicia are my two answers
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    Magglio Ordonez .351
    David Ortiz .346

• Options
    it is amazing as to the number of people who cannot follow instructions.

You MUST cite the source
  • Options
    Wade Boggs and Hank Aaron
  • Options
    csmtampacsmtampa Posts: 1,828
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

<< <i>it is amazing as to the number of people who cannot follow instructions.

You MUST cite the source >>

I have no source, nor do I have averages, I was just throwing out a guess to keep it going.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
  • Options
    Ichiro's career average for RSP, 2 outs is .348...the stat I believe was only officially recognized in the 1970s, so I think this is the correct answer.

I'm not sure where I can find career averages for RSP, 1 out, over career...
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    I have also never seen RISP 1 out in any databases. I have a very good idea who they are and a source for RISP 2 outs but cant find a definite answer for 1 out.
  • Options
    Greetings Felicia,

You ask, "Since the statistic of hits with runners in scoring position has been held..(WRISP) Which everyday player has the highest batting average with runners in scoring position with 2 outs and with 1 out and what is their respective batting average in that statistical category."

My answer:

1. Highest career batting average with runners in scoring position with 2 outs is Joe Mauer with a .367 batting average (83 hits in 226 at-bats); courtesy of Baseball-Reference, Yahoo Sports and CNNSi.

2. Highest career batting average with runners in scoring position with 1 out is Tony Gwynn also with a .367 batting average (468 hits in 1275 at-bats); courtesy of Baseball-Reference.

Mr. Gwynn's numbers, however, require a bit of explanation. There is no "direct" statistic for runners in scoring position with 1 out. If you scroll down 1/2 way on Mr. Gwynn's Baseball-Reference page, you'll come to sections entitled, "Bases Occupied" and "Clutch Stats." Under the Bases Occupied, you'll see that Mr. Gwynn had 723 hits in 2070 career at-bats for a .349 batting average with runners in scoring position. Look down a little bit further under the Clutch Stats, you'll see that Mr. Gwynn had 255 hits in 795 at-bat for a .321 batting average with runners in scoring position and 2 outs.

Since there is no such statistic as runners in scoring position with 3 outs, I subtracted the totals for 1 out from 2 outs, respectively, and arrived at 468 hits (723-255) in 1275 at-bats (2070-795) for a .367 batting average.

/s/ JackWESQ

P.S. Mauer went 1-1 tonight in 2 out, RISP situations as he hit a double with Brendan Harris on third, so his 2 out, RISP totals/batting average may be off a bit.
  • Options

<< <i>Greetings Felicia,

You ask, "Since the statistic of hits with runners in scoring position has been held..(WRISP) Which everyday player has the highest batting average with runners in scoring position with 2 outs and with 1 out and what is their respective batting average in that statistical category."

My answer:

1. Highest career batting average with runners in scoring position with 2 outs is Joe Mauer with a .367 batting average (83 hits in 226 at-bats); courtesy of Baseball-Reference, Yahoo Sports and CNNSi.

2. Highest career batting average with runners in scoring position with 1 out is Tony Gwynn also with a .367 batting average (468 hits in 1275 at-bats); courtesy of Baseball-Reference.

Mr. Gwynn's numbers, however, require a bit of explanation. There is no "direct" statistic for runners in scoring position with 1 out. If you scroll down 1/2 way on Mr. Gwynn's Baseball-Reference page, you'll come to sections entitled, "Bases Occupied" and "Clutch Stats." Under the Bases Occupied, you'll see that Mr. Gwynn had 723 hits in 2070 career at-bats for a .349 batting average with runners in scoring position. Look down a little bit further under the Clutch Stats, you'll see that Mr. Gwynn had 255 hits in 795 at-bat for a .321 batting average with runners in scoring position and 2 outs.

Since there is no such statistic as runners in scoring position with 3 outs, I subtracted the totals for 1 out from 2 outs, respectively, and arrived at 468 hits (723-255) in 1275 at-bats (2070-795) for a .367 batting average.

/s/ JackWESQ

P.S. Mauer went 1-1 tonight in 2 out, RISP situations as he hit a double with Brendan Harris on third, so his 2 out, RISP totals/batting average may be off a bit. >>

But how do you distinguish Gwynn's AVG with RISP and 1 out from RISP and 0 outs?
  • Options

<< <i>

But how do you distinguish Gwynn's AVG with RISP and 1 out from RISP and 0 outs? >>

That's the rub -- not sure how to get that delineation.

Jack -- I was surprised to see your name as a commentator on one of Jayson Stark's ESPN threads. Nice to see CU friends showing up in other sports forums :-)
  • Options
    Felicia:

As a point of clarification, what is you threshold for being apply to be eligible for being the career leader? I think Jack may be correct with Joe Mauer. But I notice that Mauer only has 228 at-bats with RISP, 2 outs. That should be enough to be of critical mass, but what exactly is that delineation? e.g. I'm sure that there are a number of MLB'ers with a cup of coffee who have one hit in one at bat with RISP, 1 out or RISP, 2 outs. Is the threshold 1 at-bat? 100? 200? something else?

Thanks for any clarification-
    m
  • Options

<< <i>But how do you distinguish Gwynn's AVG with RISP and 1 out from RISP and 0 outs? >>

Ahhh! I knew I was forgetting something. Back to the drawing board!

/s/ JackWESQ

P.S. mikeschmidt - Greetings. Thank you for the comment. I have another ESPN column by Rob Neyer where he directly identifies me. The column is about Jeff Bagwell's HOF candidacy. I'll pull it out shortly after the voting is in and we see if Bagwell makes it, or not.
  • Options
    Mauer is the correct answer for risp with 2 outs...

I'm still looking for the right answer for 1 out.

Mike schmidt..at least 100 at bats ....

• Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    This is just getting better all the time. This nice young lady not only has a baseball card collection that makes ours look like caddyshack 2 compared to caddyshack, but she also has more knowledge about the game too!

I got married way too early

As for my guess, I don't know and if I did know I wouldn't say. A 75 PSA 10 is way to nice for my collection. It would make all of my 88 Donruss cards with soft corners jealous
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options

<< <i>This is just getting better all the time. This nice young lady not only has a baseball card collection that makes ours look like caddyshack 2 compared to caddyshack, but she also has more knowledge about the game too!

I got married way too early

As for my guess, I don't know and if I did know I wouldn't say. A 75 PSA 10 is way to nice for my collection. It would make all of my 88 Donruss cards with soft corners jealous >>

Thank you for the compliment....Heres one clue ..more where to find the answer....Whenever you watch a game the announcers will state a stat and say thanks to our friends at......

theres where you can find the answer for Career batting avg w/ 1 out with RISP with at least 100 ab's..WITH RISP not 100 total career ab's

Good luck..Bill wants a new home....

PS..Darn..I missed I had 1000 posts...
  • Options
    vladimir guerrero
  • Options
    or Scott Rolen
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭

<< <i>it is amazing as to the number of people who cannot follow instructions.

You MUST cite the source >>

Cite the source? C'mon man.....political dissertations have been written with less effort than getting the two-part answer to this one requires. People are just havin' some fun. This is a nasty one, Felicia.

Eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Wade Boggs 2 outs

Ted Williams 1 out

Source, inside my head.

Edited to add: If I am correct please send the card to Marc he is an avid Phillie's collector.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>..Heres one clue ..more where to find the answer....Whenever you watch a game the announcers will state a stat and say thanks to our friends at...... >>

I tried to go there, but they need a login and the free stats (hint) are for the current year and can only sort by each league.
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    minnesotahuskerminnesotahusker Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    2 out= Joe Mauer- Baseball-Reference

1 out= Prince Fielder- Elias Sports Bureau
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>..Heres one clue ..more where to find the answer....Whenever you watch a game the announcers will state a stat and say thanks to our friends at...... >>

Will that be the same for all MLB teams? I know for the Mariners it's Aflac that sponsers the trivia questions but I'm not seeing anything on their site.
  • Options
    Minnesota Husker send me your address...Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!!!

Gosh, Next time I'll really make it hard...image
  • Options
    congrats! i'm surprised that both are active players. I was going to guess Paul Molitor for 1 out RISP.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    The reason both players are active is simply they don't have the at bats that other players have?

Guys that played longer would of course have a lower pct.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Hi Felicia,

Greetings. Quick question. Does minnesotahusker win the card? I ask because he did not fully answer the trivia question.

In your original post, you say "... and what is their respective batting average in that statistical category."

minnesotahusker does not provide the batting averages for Prince Fielder or Joe Mauer (though Mauer's was identified earlier). Thank you.

/s/ JackWESQ