Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I'm going back to 1992 - and a small contest added in - we have our winners!

It was the summer of 1992 – my wife and my son Justin jumped into our SUV and we were off to Atlanta from Ft. Gordon, GA – on our way to our first family National!

We had the time of our lives – I’d like to make one now – since there’s tons of people who attend who I have made good friends with and would like to meet/see again before I kick the bucket.

Let’s get to the contest first. I spent between 300 and 700$ at the National. The first five people to get the closest – without going over - will have their choice of 2 hot items either sold at the national or highly touted – you can have a factory ’92 UD Fanfest set or a complete ’92 Classic Bkb set with the first Shaq RC card! image

Now - the purpose of all this – I would like to go back almost 20 yrs and just talk a little about the hobby in 1992.

First, SCD was king and the internet was just coming alive in the hobby with “Sportsnet” which dealers used to flip items or get a quick shot at picking up hot cases to sell in their shops.

I picked this SCD – since it was just after the National and one can readily get a feel for some items for sale that were – IMO – great buys! Moreover, I’m gonna post some of the hottest handouts from the National that went for hundreds until people realized they printed them in the zillions! I’m talking about the Classic Shaq promos!!!!!

The two on the bottom are the Shaq promos I’m talking about:

Now let’s quickly jump to the most overproduced, over-hyped, over-rated set on the planet back then – the Scoreboard’s own Classic 1992 Draft pick set!!!

I made back my money on the boxes by selling the inserts but couldn’t give away the set!!! What screwed the set to the wall? Even though they hyped it as the ONLY RC of Shaq for 1992 – UD – for one – did a “draft pick” RC redemption card – which people liked way more than his Classic card.

Back to SCD – good buys with respect to today? Yes – especially on ‘prewar’ cards that hadn’t totally caught fire yet. Also, of note – Mark Murphy, aka BBCardKid, was selling this gem for under 2K – I consider it a ‘fish that got away.’

There were some really nice modern deals back then also – like this 53B Color Mantle!

And – back then – SCD – had a serious amount of advertisers – that would make their bottom line moan today if they were to look back!!!!!

And, back in ’92, there were some “must have” cards that everyone chased and if they didn’t pull it, they definitely overpaid for it.

Like – the Jordan UD SP card:

Shops were buying these at 15$ a pop and flipping them for 20$ all day long!

I also learned a lot that year – I realized there were more crooks than I ever imagined – doing stuff like over-grading, slicing and dicing, re-coloring and just about anything one could imagine.

But, it was fun! The hobby was alive and there was “buzz” in the air! Even small shows had people standing 3 deep at the tables!

Downside? Every card company let the printers RUN WILD - zillions of cases!!!!! The beginning of the end? Perhaps.

And, PSA was a relative ‘babe in the woods’ back then – I met Mike Baker at the National – found him to be very personable. He walked me over to where they had the T206 PSA 8 Wagner card on display – which we all know could’ve been had for 25 bucks back in 1958! image

So, has the hobby changed? You bet. Is it still fun? You bet. Do ya have to stay on your toes? You bet.

The hobby in some ways is better now IMO. For one thing – ebay has allowed me to pick up items that I would have to hunt for eons to find with respect to board games and sheet music.

Sorry for the length – this was a lot to cover – and I could’ve gone on for another 20 pages but I figure ya got the drift.

Thanx - Mike

Mike

Comments

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    I am going to hazard a guess of $443.87
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    A very nice run down memory lane, that was my first year of college. I'll guess $477.29
  • Options
    digdugdigdug Posts: 216 ✭✭
    $512.34
  • Options
    $527.27
    A collector of all things Braves
    Always looking for Chipper Jones cards.
    Im a very focused collector of cards from 1909 - 2012...LOL
  • Options
    BassPro77BassPro77 Posts: 1,152
    Bill
    looking for PELLE LINDBERGH's psa and 1960 fleer baseball psa 8 and up
    sets in progress
    R.I.P. Barstow 24 April 1999 - May 15 2009
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    I love to see the old ads. I used to closely look at every single ad in SCD, just looking for that great bargain!!! That probably contributed to my need for reading glasses today.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    dpucciodpuccio Posts: 117
    I'll say $414.14 - thanks for the contest!

I wonder what happened to my 1992 Upper Deck Jordan - I will have to look for it.
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭
    $665 spent.

It was 1992 that I saw the end coming and bailed from the local show circuit. I set up almost every weekend from 88-92, then when the glossy, holographic, gold layered stuff started coming out and the price points began to change^^ I decided it was time to move on. Started getting game worn jerseys from the Celtics and did jerseys for almost 10 years. Now I dabble in both, but still no more shows!
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    KarbKarb Posts: 557 ✭✭✭
    I will guess $459. That was the year my father opened up his card shop. Awesome memories. I was 14 at the time and I had access to all of the "hot" cards. (Looking only, of course). The frenzy over that MJ card was unreal. I still have a couple of them and every time I look at them I remember the good old days image
    Robert

Hoarding silver and collecting history
  • Options
    Piman58Piman58 Posts: 814 ✭✭
    I'll guess $567.89.
    Thanks for the trip down memory lane in the hobby.
  • Options
    smetsmet Posts: 359 ✭✭
    I'll go with $600.
  • Options
    555... Yes I also remember in the 1989 Hoops the "Piston Card".... An the prices people were paying for that....
    Cory
    ----------------------
    Working on:
    Football
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (99.81%)
    1976 Topps PSA 9+ (36.36%)
    1977 Topps PSA 9+ (100%)

Baseball
    1938 Goudey (56.25%)
    1951 Topps Redbacks PSA 8 (100%)
    1952 Bowman PSA 7+ (63.10%)
    1953 Topps PSA 5+ (91.24%)
    1973 Topps PSA 8+ (70.76%)
    1985 Fleer PSA 10 (54.85%)
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Great read - I'll go right in the middle with $500 even
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $372

Thank You Mike!
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    $666 spent
    92 was the last year of my childhood collecting.

I couldn't wait for this to arrive every month.
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wanted to add another hot to trot insert that was on fire and crashed just as fast - the UD HR Heroes inserts:

I saw the Thomas - alone - selling for as much as 20 bucks!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    $662.01
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    I will go with 592.00. 1992 was a great year, the year my youngest daughter was born.
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    $667.00

I get a kick out of going back and looking at prices in Baseball Cards Magazine and Beckett from the 80's. Thanks for the contest.
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    $607.00

Great post, Stone!
  • Options
    csmtampacsmtampa Posts: 1,828
    $472.84
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    I'm gonna throw out there $525.

That was a great summer Mike, thanks for bringing me back. I remember paying $5-$10 a pack for Stadium Club, UD, and Ultra while chasing the Shaq and Mourning rookies. I wish I had taken all that cash I threw at packs then and
    spent more of it on vintage.
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    DrJDrJ Posts: 2,213
  • Options
    Beck6Beck6 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭
    $636 Great story!
    Registry Sets:
    T222's PSA 1 or better
  • Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    $300 so I can go over image

I reminisce I reminisce
  • Options
    lbcoach20lbcoach20 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    Great post! I'll guess $552.75.
  • Options
    richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    $511.11
  • Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭
    Speaking of 1992..... I unearthed a pile of these comics that also reflect the era image

Can anyone guess who's on the back??? image
  • Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    Seeing things like that 52 pack sure makes you wish there were time machines! $564.00 and thank you for the chance!

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    $622.. thanks!
  • Options
    $305....trying to go 2 for 2 in guess games image
  • Options
    If you drove all that way spend some money $1100
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    $383

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    enjoyable and interesting thread. thank you.

eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    300, Bob.
    If by chance I win, give it to some one with kids who will enjoy it
  • Options
    sfmays24sfmays24 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭
    $625

I recall some collectors actual complained that the SCD had too many pages back then... 350+ sometimes, it was a blast each week.

Mike
  • Options
    $576
  • Options
    minnesotahuskerminnesotahusker Posts: 642 ✭✭✭
    $605.55
  • Options
    Ah yes. 1992. The time when everyone was going to get rich in trading cards.

Like Tedw9 said, there was so much frantic chasing of the NBA rookies that year. The card I remember most from that year was the 92-93 Fleer Ultra All-Rookie card of Shaq. I think it booked at $300 or $350 when it first came out. EVERYONE at card shows was trying to get that card and people were driving from show to show and store to store trying to find packs. I happened into a gas station one day that had just gotten a box and I think I bought 5 or 6 packs ($3.25 each?) to try to find one. Never did. Now that card books for around $25.

I'll take a stab and guess that you spent $375.

Thanks for the great thread and all the great memories it brought back!
    "It's not so important who starts the game but who finishes it."
    - John Wooden
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $444.44
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    sorry for the error in posting
    Mike
  • Options
    Thanx for the kind words - I just posted something and realized it was in the wrong thread.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike
  • Options
    $595.00
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    1992 was the best year ever for cards. Every sport was on absolute fire and shops couldn't keep anything in stock. Even the sets with no rookies or inserts were selling (Stadium Club Baseball, Score football, etc...). It was also the year inserts really took off- Topps gold, Stadium Club Beam Team, Donruss Diamond Kings (first time as an insert set) and Elite, Ultra All Stars and Rookies, Wild Card Stripe madness, Fleer Rookie Sensations, All Stars, Team Leaders and Clemens/Larry Johnson/Steve Young Autos, Shaq mania. Classic 4 sport was probably the hottest overall product which is funny because now you can't give it away, even with guys like Jeter and Shaq in the sets.

A smart dealer could make money all day long flipping stuff as people were ripping anything and everything, selling their pulls to get more money to rip.
  • Options

<< <i>1992 was the best year ever for cards. Every sport was on absolute fire and shops couldn't keep anything in stock. Even the sets with no rookies or inserts were selling (Stadium Club Baseball, Score football, etc...). It was also the year inserts really took off- Topps gold, Stadium Club Beam Team, Donruss Diamond Kings (first time as an insert set) and Elite, Ultra All Stars and Rookies, Wild Card Stripe madness, Fleer Rookie Sensations, All Stars, Team Leaders and Clemens/Larry Johnson/Steve Young Autos, Shaq mania. Classic 4 sport was probably the hottest overall product which is funny because now you can't give it away, even with guys like Jeter and Shaq in the sets.

A smart dealer could make money all day long flipping stuff as people were ripping anything and everything, selling their pulls to get more money to rip. >>

Totally agree Lee!

I had a great time that year - including the fact it was my first National!

Remember these? The Fleer jumbo packs were as hot as the UD jumbos - but also the racks were popular - they had the team leader cards or another card - just can't remember what it was?

The jumbo retailed for 2 bucks and were selling for up to 8! The racks - also about 2 bucks and selling for like 4 to 5 - we had a drug store next to our house that got them and my wife would get them before they were gone - I still have quite a few. The Team leader cards got hot again when the basketball team leaders got hot - around 1994 - but it totally dropped out of sight again.

BTW - you can see the insert on the bottom sticking out - it's not a team leader which was green - that's the black card that I can't remember what it was?

Don't have any jumbos - the rookie sensations were just hot, hot, hot!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Well, the National was a lot of fun and I spent $550 in the 3 days - one of the purchases - a Carlton RC - turned out to be lightly touched up and I missed it - I was more trusting back then.

The five people closest - and I added in one extra person because he went over by only 2.75!!!!

1. digdug - 512.34

2. bigwilli - 527.27

3. bottom9th - 511.11

4. Tedw9 - 525

5. Richtree - 538

6. lbcoach20 - who guessed $552.75.

Please PM me your addy and choice - either the Fanfest set or the 92C draftpick set.

I had a great weekend!!! image
    Mike