Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

It is never about how much you spend or who you buy from, it is only about the coin.

RealoneRealone Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
I hate to name the dealer that I bought my second favorite coin in my collection from because well alright for these purposes maybe it hammers in a point, I bought it from Coast to Coast, and I bought it raw, and it cost me a whopping $255 with shipping. Any way the reason that I purchased it because, as you know I get into pedigrees, well it was a very well known one in choice au has described by them and upon inspection I had to agree. So a once in a lifetime coin (at least to me) from you know who for bubkiss.

Was it an easy transaction, yes only after I realized the gal I was talking to there was not able to give me the info that I needed and had to move up the food chain. You see they provide photos of coins on their website, but when I called regarding the photograph of this particular coin this young lady said I would not receive the coin that was in the photograph, I tried to explain to her that I was only interested in the coin that was in the photograph but she said it is a stock photo. I knew it couldn't be a stock photo since the photo matched a famous pedigreed coin. I then spoke to the head honcho who said she was wrong and I was right, he had the coin in hand and it matched the photo. Well needless to say as I barely got my words out I said please charge the $255 to my cc and please ship it, thank you. I didn't et any sleep until I got in my paws 3 days later.

Moral of the tale, it ain't about the money or the dealer it is about the coin.image

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    It's always about the coin. You can take Ambro's recent G$1 collection as another example.
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    Seems from your story that it is, in fact, greatly about the dealer.

I certainly think it's often about the dealer. If you find a dealer whom you trust you can acquire some great coins you might have otherwise never seen...

Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Moral of the tale, it ain't about the money or the dealer it is about the coin."

Actually, it appears to be at least as much about the pedigree as it does about the coin.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Moral of the tale, it ain't about the money or the dealer it is about the coin."

Actually, it appears to be at least as much about the pedigree as it does about the coin. >>

Touche.
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options

<< <i>It's always about the coin. You can take Ambro's recent G$1 collection as another example. >>

How so? I don't follow your logic.
  • Options
    I am pretty sure the number one rule in coin collection is
    BUY THE COIN NOT THE HOLDER image
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the moral of the story may be:

Even dealers with dicey reputations sometimes end up with desirable coins.
  • Options
  • Options
    BithrateBithrate Posts: 555 ✭✭

<< <i>Any photos? >>

+1

I'm curious...
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    What's so special about a pedigree?

Ray
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what was the attribution on that coin again?

And Ray's question is a good one, lots of people could not care less about who used to own a coin.
  • Options
    would have been so much cooler if it was 3.5 image
  • Options
    remember he really wasn't up on remarriages.
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the moral of the story may be:

Even dealers with dicey reputations sometimes end up with desirable coins. >>

More often than not image
    Besides, one mans (or gals) opinion of a dealer with a "dicey" rep might IMO be a great numismatist.
  • Options
    Here's an image of the coin (forwarded by Realone):

• Options
    Is this the same coin that took 7 tries to get into a slab? From the looks of the photo, it looks good and had me wondering...Mike
  • Options
    That's a fascinating update. Thanks. I can see now why you had so much confidence in the coin -- if it was cleaned it certainly wasn't a harsh one. image
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It is never about how much you spend or who you buy from, it is only about the coin. >>

I agree with the "who you buy it from" part, but for those of us who see a lot of PQ coins, with and without pedigrees, but don't have four or five figure sums of disposable cash available to throw at those coins, it often is about how much you (are able to) spend.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options

<< <i>This one cost only $255. >>

Yes, I read that, and that's great, but was I addressing the word "never" in the thread title and pointing out that, for a lot of us, it often is about how much we spend.
    - Jim
  • Options

<< <i>I guess one should never say never, all I was trying to say was that great coins are out there if you look hard enough and when they are unattributed you can pick them up for a song. >>

imageimage
    - Jim
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    That's a neat story.

So what is the coin worth? $225 or more?
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    The proletarians here are in awe. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file