Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

the pcgs "5 mil problem" a must read!!! **update 1 with picture***

joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
I checked the history here on the boards and it seems nobody has written anything or knows about this so it gives me great pleasure to be the first!!!!

I recently purchased a 1954 pcgs pr65 franklin in a pcgs rattler holder.
I tried adding the cert to my registry and each time it said the cert was unavailable.
I first got in touch with the set registry for their help and then sent an email to the dealer I got the piece from.
The dealer stated that he didnt think the coin would be a fake as fake slabbing on $100 is not as common especially in this series. (I agreed)

then came the reply from pcgs!!!!

"It looks like your coin was probably part of what we refer to as the “5 Mil” problem. Basically, several years back, our system allowed cert numbers in the 5 million range to overwrite cert numbers that were already assigned the same number. To fix this, we will need you to send the coin in and we will assign a new cert number. It will be treated as a mechanical error submission. Please follow these instructions when sending it back in:"

I tried explaining that by getting re-certified it would kill the fact that it was a rattler coin, but the person I spoke to said there is nothing he can do about it.
I am awaiting a call from his supervisorimage

I also tried finding out what was the coin that took my place but they said its privilaged and they cant give it out.

how many other coins does this mean were affected!!!???
as of now I must find another piece with a good cert to replace it.
this stinks.
-joe
may the fonz be with you...always...

Comments

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Catch 22, do you want that rattler or the coin in your registry. No way you're gonna have both.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure if we never heard of this issue for 20 years since it happened, that many many coins were affected.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I also tried finding out what was the coin that took my place but they said its privilaged and they cant give it out. >>

What does the cert show when you put it in the verify cert number place at pcgs?
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe: You asked what coin replaced yours... why doesn't the replaced coin simply come up when you do "cert verification" with PCGS and enter the serial number?

I do agree with you that the reholdering of your specific coin results in you losing some money

... not a great deal... but some.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    << I also tried finding out what was the coin that took my place but they said its privilaged and they cant give it out. >>

What does the cert show when you put it in the verify cert number place at pcgs?

* it says that this cert is not available. I mentioned this to them and they said the cert problem is also an internal data base problem.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "PAGING STEVE MARTIN!"
    "PAGING STEVE MARTIN!"
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Why are you going to find another one? Last mech error I had at pcgs the only thing I had to pay was to ship it to them. Did they change that?
  • Options
    ResRes Posts: 1,086

<< <i>Why are you going to find another one? Last mech error I had at pcgs the only thing I had to pay was to ship it to them. Did they change that? >>

He doesn't want to lose the old holder.
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"PAGING STEVE MARTIN!"
    "PAGING STEVE MARTIN!" >>

...........the comedian?image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    If you check the cert number at the pcgs web site and it comes up with a valid coin then you should be safe from this issue?

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder ifthe seller was aware of this issue with that piece? image
  • Options
    cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    Educate me. Are PCGS "rattler" coins worth more simply because they're in "rattler" holders (nevermind that the coin won't upgrade)??
  • Options
    to very few collectors- some collect them thinking upgrade(thats why alot of times big money is paid). I collect it just for fun.
    -joe
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>to very few collectors- some collect them thinking upgrade(thats why alot of times big money is paid). I collect it just for fun.
    -joe >>

For me it's not about any potential upgrade. I like rattlers and old green holders in general because it reassures me that the coin hasn't been messed with recently and it gives me a greater reassurance that the coin will continue to look the same way in the future and will not turn in the holder. this is especially true for red copper coins i think.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>"PAGING STEVE MARTIN!"
    "PAGING STEVE MARTIN!" >>

...........the comedian?image >>

The modulator.........
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    oh and no the seller was not aware and offerd a FULL REFUND if I would like
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Educate me. Are PCGS "rattler" coins worth more simply because they're in "rattler" holders (nevermind that the coin won't upgrade)?? >>

The simple answer is yes.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Educate me. Are PCGS "rattler" coins worth more simply because they're in "rattler" holders (nevermind that the coin won't upgrade)?? >>

The simple answer is yes. >>

As they are cracked out they are becoming scarcer and scarcer. You just don't see that many at coin shows anymore. A lot of collectors like them because they were the first PCGS slabs and they are fairly crude/primitive compared to later slabs which is part of their charm. And they are just plain neat.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess someone forgot to make the cert number a unique primary key!! Wow...just wow.

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    eggboneeggbone Posts: 615
    KEEP THE RATTLER. This coin would be worth much more (aesthetically) than the Registry designation. You should be able to find another similar coin. I will buy this one from you(with photo approval) for a reasonable price.image

• Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Let's see:

1. You can enter it in your set.

2. You'll lose the rattler.

3. You're out shipping to them.

4. You're our return shipping from them.

5. You have an unecessary annoyance and delay.

How exactly are they going to compensate you? image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the rattler had the serial number first, why should they have to get a new serial number rather some later slab that got this same duplicate serial number? Doesn't seem fair, does it?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    **update**

aparently Im the first one that this has happened to... I got a call from anna something or other from pcgs and said she understands my problem but my coin just doesnt exist anymore because some mistake they made over 20 years ago. NOW MY COIN IS A #1 POP COIN!!!! WOOOOOHHOOOOO
    SO.....now shes working to see if she can somehow re-allow JUST my coin into the registry- making it THE ONLY COIN OF ITS KIND!!!! talk about rare pcgs slabs!!!
    well- we shall see how this plays out. Im waiting to hear back from her on monday or tuesday!
    THE RAREST PCGS RATTLER (ONLY ONE OF ITS KIND!!!!!)
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This problem was discussed at some length on these boards several years ago when folks were blocked from putting their coins in their registry sets.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joe:

I think that slab is going to get a gold sticker!

Simply awesome looking coin!

Keep it where it is regardless of what PCGS is able to or not able to do registry-wise. It actually makes for a more interesting story in which someone would want to own on that basis ALONE!

I think you hit a triple!

Rattler
    coding
    looks undergraded - maybe a gold

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I guess someone forgot to make the cert number a unique primary key!! Wow...just wow.

K >>

Forgive me, but having designed far too many databases, the data associated with the primary keys can still be updated and that's what happened here
    if the given information is correct. The cert number itself, may or may not be a primary key depending on how things are designed.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahhh... The power that a bit of plastic holds over (almost) us all. I exclude DK image
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They'll send the old holder back if you make a request, it just won't be in one piece. image

Maybe they'll market upgrade it a couple points, will that make you happy?

Seriously, looks like it's working out for you.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    just because it seems another member might be part of this...

the final outcome was I sent in the coin to pcgs. They "looked it over" to make sure it was a "real" slab. and added the number in their data base.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,478 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>just because it seems another member might be part of this...

the final outcome was I sent in the coin to pcgs. They "looked it over" to make sure it was a "real" slab. and added the number in their data base. >>

Now thats Cool!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    This happened to me with this 1952-S 50c and also a 1957 50c proof, both in rattlers. They requested I email front and back pics of the slabs. I was required to send in the 1957 and it was reholdered and given a new cert. number but they added the 1952-S cert. without having to send the coin in.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file