Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Holy crow there's a lot of Giants on eBay

There's 97 cards up for auction right now. This is beautiful. And I beat out Kep13 yesterday on the most perfect Ford I've seen in an 8 (sorry man, I know you're on this board but finally I got to return a snipe in your directionimage)

Comments

• Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    I noticed that Kep has been buying Topps Giants in addition to his Kellogg's. Kep is clearly on the Gemmint Blueprint Collecting Plan, a very successful format image.
  • Options
    unishipuniship Posts: 490 ✭✭
    I was thinking of getting into the 64 Giants game simply because I would want to display those beautiful cards. Do any of you 64 Giants Regulars display these or are they mostly tucked away in your collection (like all my stuff now is). If so, how do you specifically display them?
  • Options
    To display a full set would require an enormous amount of space particularly if they were all slabbed. You may want to consider displaying just a few of you favorites as they make quite an impression. I know Aconte had one or two on display along with some other collectibles from a scan he sent me. I think he placed them in individual little stands. Maybe he can elaborate. It really looked awesome and enhances the overall eye appeal of the collection.
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Uniship,

In order to display the whole 60 card set you need a lot of space. I have three Giants cards on display
    in different parts of the house. One is not graded - Autographed Jim Bunning Topps giants card.
    I display them using a larger sized plastic card holder. It is shaped like a "V." I'm not
    sure who makes it. I can check when I get home from work. I bought a bunch of them
    at a local card shop. They really display the oversized cards nicely. Problem is you need a ton
    of room (especially if you display other stuff). Another thing I use is a nice size wooden display
    stand. I bought about 6-7 of these at Ikea for a couple bucks apiece. These easily hold the
    weight of the Psa holder.

My advice is whatever you display make sure you like the way it looks and spend a couple
    bucks for decent stuff. You would not want your holders to fall over all the time and then crack.

Good Luck!

aconte
  • Options
    BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭

<< <i>I was thinking of getting into the 64 Giants game simply because I would want to display those beautiful cards. Do any of you 64 Giants Regulars display these or are they mostly tucked away in your collection (like all my stuff now is). If so, how do you specifically display them? >>

you may or may not have noticed that I have my "star/hof" players ON TOP of my displays in my office, but like the guys said, they are big and take up a lot of space.... so I only have 22 of 60 out!
    BigKid Display
    imageimage
  • Options
    Bigkid, very cool image. I see you take pride in your collection.
  • Options
    BobSBobS Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    Well, prices were very high on most of the 8's that closed last night. Especially this:
    wow!!???!!

Talk about a bidding war. Over $100 is just insane for that card. Do any upgrading BKAH?
  • Options

<< <i>Do any upgrading BKAH? >>

maybe...
    maybe not...
    imageimage
  • Options
    BobS - I didn't follow too many of the eights that ended recently but I don't think that $118 for the Boyer is too expensive, especially considering there are on two 9's and you can pretty much bank on where one of them is. image The competition for the eights must be picking up. I picked up a Alvis in 9 for around $60 last night - the last one sold for over $300. The registry for the Giants is going to get interesting in the next few months.

BigKid - What made you decide to make your set unviewable?
    "We don't own these cards, we just hold them for awhile." -- Jay of Quality Cards
  • Options

<< <i>BigKid - What made you decide to make your set unviewable? >>

I just want to "be like Gemmint"
    imageimage
  • Options
    Pinhigh,

$118 is sky high for a common 8 in the set, regardless of how many 9's there are. 8's come relatively easy for these cards, many of which have almost doubled in 8 pop. in the past few months. I guess I'm just more patient and frugal (I mean cheap) than some of the other 64 Giants guys out there. I bet the next one goes for <$35, almost like your example. Eventually every card in a set goes for a sky high price and every card in the set goes for a bargain price. It's just timing.
  • Options
    BobS - The last Boyer PSA 8 sold for over $200 so $118 doesn't shock me at all.

Pinhigh - I wonder where that second PSA 9 is image.

Bigkid - Why isn't your set viewable?? Man some people are so weird about these things image.
  • Options
    What do you guys think about this other Boyer PSA 8 currently for auction?

It sure doesn't look like an "8" to me

Shouldn't this have the "OC" designation?
  • Options

<< <i>Bigkid - Why isn't your set viewable?? >>

I'll never tell!
    imageimage
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Thegemmintman -- I think that that Boyer 8 probably fits the criteria for a PSA 8 -- but just barely.

Far be it from a surprise to hear DSL Sports' name in conjunction with preferential grading. But the card looks solid but for the centering.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Check out the centering on this 8

That's one reason why my 8 set has been taking so long. I will not settle for this kind of centering just to fill in cards on the checklist. I want a beautiful set when I'm done.
  • Options
    I agree with BobS on being picky about centering. I won 5 of those PSA 8s last night.

The first 2 cards that I got in this set (Aaron and Mays) are not as centered as others, but not to the point where one may feel is OC. It's just not 50/50. The rest of them are pretty close.

Fred
  • Options
    BobS - I don't think you are going to find a PSA 8 Boyer for much cheaper than $100. I may be wrong, but through my tracking of prices, I believe nearly all of them have sold for around $100 (Gemmint may have some input on this). I think my example of the Alvis is a little different because we all knew that the previous one offered at over $300 was outrageous. I was amazed that this one sold at the price I got it and I was prepared to go higher.

Gemmint - Not sure where the other 9 is? Would you like to let me know? image

schmidty - I know what you mean about DSL. They must be printing these cards or something.

BigKid - All that time spent scanning cards and now I can't look at them? image I still have those cards for you if you are interested - I may just hold on to them until you're ready.

Hopefully, my set will be complete soon, if all goes well with a deal I'm working. I'm going to have to make a tough decision and do some upgrading later but I expected to be done by the registry awards. Maybe Gemmint will have mercy on me and let me pick up a few cards that I need.
    "We don't own these cards, we just hold them for awhile." -- Jay of Quality Cards
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    Thanks alot, you guys got me hooked. I saw all the posts about them, saw them, and started buying them. I have 2 9s B. Robinson and A. Kaline. I got both for $126!! As more cards are graded the prices WILL come down. I have seen it happen in 1981 Donruss Golf. A few of the low population cards went for $150+ when they were first offered (book is $25). Now, as more have hit the market, even the tough ones are $50 or less, some as low as $15. I'm glad that I can afford to be patient as I am working on about 5 sets and have limited cash flow. Good Luck with your sets!!
  • Options
    gameused - Glad to hear that you are collecting the Giants. Just remember, no matter how nice these cards are, always beat Gemmint. image Sounds like you got your B. Robinson and Kaline for a good price. I understand your statement about the more that are graded, the more prices will come down, but I thought there would be a large increase in high grade cards from this set during the 60's registry special. Needless to say, there wasn't the big jump that I thought would come. DSL always seems to have a steady stream of submissions and they generally get high grades, but I'm not sure if there will be that great increase to dramatically affect prices. In fact, even after the registry special, prices on high grades have increased. Prices on PSA 10 cards have gone from the $600-$800 range to $800-$1100. As schmidty pointed out to me, more cards doesn't always equal lower prices. In fact, it may mean more collectors.
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    i started collecting this set a while ago and while is a small set which is nice to complete and its age making it vintage made this set very apealing... but the cards were just so big!.... i mean it just didnt feel like baseball card collecting...more like a big postcard collection.

so i sold or traded most of it away. its a nice small vintage set... it just wasnt for me.
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    Pinhigh - Gemmint can be very merciful when he wants to be image.

Calleocho - shame on you!! Hey it's not for everyone.
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

Centering issues?...you can probably blame the "no qualifiers" request on the submission form (aka where 9oc's go to die)

John
  • Options
    Okay guys you've convinced me that the Boyer typically goes for big bucks in an 8. But why? What's so special about it?

By the way, I have passed 25%image
  • Options
    BobS - I don't think that there is anything particularly special about the Boyer card, other than having a low population in PSA 9 and there haven't been that many submitted. If there were more submitted, I think that it would fall in line with the other commons in the set. I also think that competition has a lot to do with the price on this card being higher than other commons. Many graded set collectors can assume where the 9's are, so if you are interested in putting together a set in the highest grade available, there are more people interested in picking up the card in PSA 8. Also, due to the low submission, this card doesn't have a high population in PSA 8 either (there are only 9). This card gets the price of many of the SP cards in the set.
  • Options
    That other Boyer PSA 8 just closed for over $100. That is the worst centering for an 8 no qualifier I have ever seen for the TG's. I see the winner of the "all PSA 8" set (minus the Boyer) was bidding but lost.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks alot, you guys got me hooked. I saw all the posts about them, saw them, and started buying them. I have 2 9s B. Robinson and A. Kaline. I got both for $126!! As more cards are graded the prices WILL come down. I have seen it happen in 1981 Donruss Golf. A few of the low population cards went for $150+ when they were first offered (book is $25). Now, as more have hit the market, even the tough ones are $50 or less, some as low as $15. I'm glad that I can afford to be patient as I am working on about 5 sets and have limited cash flow. Good Luck with your sets!! >>

Well he did an amazing job from July 2 (the date of this post)
    until now... Gameusedhoops managed to complete his
    64 Giants set in all 8 & 9 (1 psa7)!

BUT NOW HE IS SELLING IT ON EbAY!!

1964 Topps Giants, Complete Set PSA 8 & PSA 9

WHY, gameused, WHY?!

image (good luck regardless)
    imageimage
  • Options
    Geez Bigkid you have some memory to go back 8 months to find this thread image!

I think it's his second attempt at selling it on Ebay. The opening bid seems very reasonable.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    I'm reading the posts then realized that they are from last June, I thought I was going back in time. Wish I was, I'd bet the house on the Angels to win it all, wouldda been awesome odds last June image ...jay
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    There's a great complete set of 1964 Topps Giants in the Superior auction:

Complete 1964 Giants set in PSA 10, 9 & 8

Shameless plug!image
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options

<< <i>There's a great complete set of 1964 Topps Giants in the Superior auction:

Complete 1964 Giants set in PSA 10, 9 & 8 >>

Mantlefan,
    is this set listed in the PSA Registry??
    If so what ranking does it have?
    imageimage
  • Options
    Guys, I've decided to try to sell the set as the thrill of the chase has waned, and the set is sitting in a toolbox under my desk. I currently sit at #5 with a 8.33 GPA. The #4 set is at 8.75 GPA, and it would be cost prohibitive to try to catch him, although I will continue to upgrade it if it doesn't sell. I tend to be a little impatient in building sets and need something to keep me busy and occupied. I started a 1972 Topps Hockey set and went right to 82%, my 1981 Donruss Golf Set needs 1 upgrade, and the 1977 Cloth Stickers set is only 55 cards and should not take long. What's next? I have no idea, but it must be somewhat affordable, attainable in a relatively short period of time (6 months- a year), and worth building as I do not intend to keep it forever.
  • Options
    MantlefanMantlefan Posts: 1,079 ✭✭
    Jeff, the set is #4 on the registry......0.05 points behind Marshall Fogel.

Frank's 1964 Giants....
    Frank

Always looking for 1957 Topps BB in PSA 9!
  • Options

<< <i>Guys, I've decided it would be cost prohibitive to try to catch #4 >>

you could just buy #4, since that is the one that mantlefan is selling that me mentioned a few posts back.
  • Options
    PistolPetePistolPete Posts: 352 ✭✭
    Last week on ebay a complete 64 Topps Giants PSA set was going for around $2,500 with no bids. Most of the stars were 9 and 8's with a lesser card being a 7.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I just sold my PSA 9 Albie Pearson (pop 3 with 2 tens) for $260ish. Wow. Fact is, I think it could have gone for a lot more. The set is awesome and I will certainly miss it. I have about 12 up now with some serious high end 8's and a couple of 7's. People seem to love this set and I can certainly see why. The Warren Spahn is one of the prettiest cards I have ever seen.
  • Options
    Uniship, I thought your Pearson 9 would fetch $300 so it was close enough.
  • Options
    I have a feeling the buyer was willing to go much higher, but there was no second bidder to push it past $256. That card was razor, and I did not realize the rarity. Buyer seemed delighted. Some of the 8's I have for auction now I should have cracked. 9's seem to get a dispraportionately higher dollar amount. Especially my Roy McMillan currently up for auction. I am not a resubmitter veteran - but that has to be a 9 - grader of death slabbed it I am sure.
  • Options
    Uniship- You had a bit of fortunate timing as the Pearson 9's have increased from 3 to 6 overnight. It always feels good to make the right move at the right time image.

What a great set though image.

Good luck to both Frank and Steve on the sale of their sets.
  • Options
    WOW. You are right cubfan. Imagine, PSA has been around what - 9 years? 3 have been graded 9 in that time, and then, in about a week 3 more have. Perhaps my auction made people dig out their mint Giants. Very interesting.
  • Options
    1964 Topps Giants, Complete Set PSA 8 & PSA 9

Still no bids???

Is this price too high or
    is everyone just waiting to snipe?
    imageimage
  • Options
    I think the opening bid price is reasonable.
  • Options
    ok Gemmintman,

Do you think that he (or someone else)
    could make MORE by busting the set
    and selling them 1 at a time or
    small lots?

imageimage
  • Options
    At my starting bid I would probably not make too much more by breaking it up. Where I would make the most $$ would be by selling the 9s, replacing them with 8s and selling a perfect 8 set. I probably won't break the set up, as I would enjoy upgrading it more than breaking it, but I wouldn't mind selling at my price and moving on. Either way, I don't mind having a great set, but I don't like the fact that it is in a tool box under my desk.
  • Options
    Bigkid - I think the opening bid price is worth approximately its break up value. It's a fair price for someone who wants to make the leap into Topps Giants land.

BTW, I don't know Gameusedhoop other than from the message board so don't think I'm shilling for the guy image.
  • Options

<< <i>BTW, I don't know Gameusedhoop other than from the message board so don't think I'm shilling for the guy image. >>

I know you - you are ok!

plus, if the price was REALLY REALLY good,
    you would be shooing us all off
    so YOU could snag it! image

I just asked becuase I thought someone might
    want to Buy it and then break the set to make
    more money, but I guess not if it is not good
    profit possibility.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Well guys, I have a bid. The guy has perfect feedback and has bid on a few high $$$ items before. If any of you guys want it, "it is go time", there are a few days left. Giants set auction on ebay.
  • Options
    Hey nice! The bidder looks like someone new to the Land of the Giants.
  • Options

<< <i>Well guys, I have a bid. The guy has perfect feedback and has bid on a few high $$$ items before >>

And he is THINKING AHEAD TO POTENTIAL SALES of card with Gowing interest in them! image

AND he is a big time concert fan!
    He has bought about 100 tickets to see
    these british sensations:

imageimage
  • Options
    Jeff, they are not British....They are Aussies, trust me, I know, my 3 year old can't sit still while they are on 3 times a day.