Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is a hoard???

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
What are your own personal parameters that define what a hoard is?? How big does it have to be?? How long does it need to be unknown before its discovery achieves "hoard" status?? Does the owner need to be famous or an eccentric?? Does it need to contain certain types of coins in order to be a hoard?? Just wondering what everyone thinks. Thanks.

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    Your making my brain hurt
  • Options
    What is a hoard???

The woman in Hamburger Hill they called momma san???
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think...

Depends on the rarity of the coin...but generally, 25 or more of the SAME coin is a hoard. Doesn't matter how old or who has it or how famous they are.
  • Options
    WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806
    When I see the term hoard it reminds me of my cousin and his five kids. That is a hoard when it comes to visit.

In my eyes a hoard need not contain just one type of coin, nor multiple types.

It is a matter of a significant number of coins that basically were collected and "hidden".

They may or may not be organized.

The actual number may be large or small depending on the type of hoard.

Fifty coins could well be a hoard if they have been stashed away and the group consists of rare or even unique pieces. For very common coins fifty would not seem a hoard to me, in that case it would have be hundreds or more.
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797
    this was the top answer(s) when I Googled "define hoard"

>>>>save up as for future use
    roll up: get or gather together; "I am accumulating evidence for the man's unfaithfulness to his wife"; "She is amassing a lot of data for her thesis"; "She rolled up a small fortune"
    a secret store of valuables or money <<<<

image Sounds more like a pending divorce..........
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Well, if only three coins are known to exist,

then you might consider one of those coins

a hoard.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    It really depends on what your hoarding.....

If your hoarding gold, I would think $20K+ is hoarding
    If it is Silver, 200+ ounces is hoarding..
    If it is Copper, $2K is hoarding..

If it just coins, $5K in value is hoarding....

• Options
    <<When I see the term hoard it reminds me of my cousin and his five kids. That is a hoard when it comes to visit.

In my eyes a hoard need not contain just one type of coin, nor multiple types.

It is a matter of a significant number of coins that basically were collected and "hidden".

They may or may not be organized.

The actual number may be large or small depending on the type of hoard.

Fifty coins could well be a hoard if they have been stashed away and the group consists of rare or even unique pieces. For very common coins fifty would not seem a hoard to me, in that case it would have be hundreds or more.>>

This is the best definition Ive ever heard for this word, hoard. This will be how I look at the word now. Great post.
  • Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797
    Bear
    who has the other (2)image
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    If I told you, I would have to kill you.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    A hoard is a King that has 6 wives and they all fill up his Danscos..image
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Some lunatic living in a broken down shack out in the middle of South Dakota who does not believe in Banks or any institution who wants to hoard your possessions, usually has some type of hoarding habit.

When he dies, the authorities find kegs of silver halves, quarters, dimes buried in the back yard like Cousin Eddie, in National Lampoon’s Vegas Vacation. Folgers coffee cans are stuffed with gold & silver certificates and jammed under the shacks flooring. Other coins like cents & nickels are found in flour sacks hidden in the trunk of a black and yellow two tone Studebaker.

The old geezer has no living relatives and the state of South Dakota claims the proceeds and turns it over to the state treasury at face value.

The next time the coins surface is on the Coin Vault in proprietary packaging and hawked with the label, “South Dakota Hoard”

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there are different kind of hoards.

The guy in Nevada that had 14 million Silver dollars in his basement had a hoard of silver dollars.

Then there was a person in FL. in the 80's that had a hoard of 1885-S dimes (15) I think.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think of a hoard as enough that when they are found, or discovered, or sold. They effect to price of all the others.
    Two examples that come to mind are the Omaha Bank Hoard and that bunch of missing edge letters Washington dollars down in Florida.
    I think both of those affected the value of coins in my collection.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About 15 years ago a middle-aged woman dropped 100,000 dimes on the counter at a local bank asking to convert them into currency.

The bank manager came over and asked her, "did you hoard all these dimes?"
    She answered, "yes sir, I whored each and every one of them!!"
  • Options
    <<About 15 years ago a middle-aged woman dropped 100,000 dimes on the counter at a local bank asking to convert them into currency.

The bank manager came over and asked her, "did you hoard all these dimes?"
    She answered, "yes sir, I whored each and every one of them!!">>

So this dirty old lady whored it out for 100,000 dimes? I wonder if she gave out change? Also, did she just carry paper rolls around with her for simplicity? image
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Certainly over a million coins or a ton of coins qualifies.

Below that, over 100,000 coins seems like a good number for a hoard.
  • Options
    But what if there was under 20K mintage for the coin, or a variety with 10 known? The set number thing and the term 'hoard' bothers me.
  • Options

<< <i>But what if there was under 20K mintage for the coin, or a variety with 10 known? The set number thing and the term 'hoard' bothers me. >>

To each their own, but when I think of a hoard, I think of a large quantity of coins, whether it's in bags, in stacks, in chests, etc.

Having most of a mintage or a variety is admirable, but that's not necessarily a hoard IMO. Making the definition of the term hoard relative leads us down the path of the term rare and condition rarities. For example, is a coin rare (absolutely), or is it a condition rarity? Is a group of coins a hoard (absolutely), or perhaps a date/mm or varietal hoard?
  • Options
    I think a hoard is when you have more of a single coin than any "normal" collector would have.

For instance, if you say that you hoard 1921 Peace Dollars and you have 5 of them, I would consider that a hoard. No normal collector would have 5 1921 Peace Dollars.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently bought a group of 7 award medals from the 1880s, and I've been calling it a 'hoardlet' to myself. So apparently, I think that you need more than 7 to make a hoard.
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    Is a few hundred Morgans a hoard?
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>No normal collector would have 5 1921 Peace Dollars. >>

What if a normal collector made a gradeing set of the 1921 High Relieve Peace Dollar. Would it be a hoard?

• Options

<< <i>I think a hoard is when you have more of a single coin than any "normal" collector would have.

For instance, if you say that you hoard 1921 Peace Dollars and you have 5 of them, I would consider that a hoard. No normal collector would have 5 1921 Peace Dollars. >>

It seems like having 2 of the 2009 UHRs would be a hoard using this definition....
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭

<< <i>What are your own personal parameters that define what a hoard is?? How big does it have to be?? How long does it need to be unknown before its discovery achieves "hoard" status?? Does the owner need to be famous or an eccentric?? Does it need to contain certain types of coins in order to be a hoard?? Just wondering what everyone thinks. Thanks.

Al H. >>

Oh man, hehehehe, dam Al you match all the above under "OWNER" image

ok seriously- I think it to be any specific coin, date, style (type1 or 2)etc, I mean its your hoard- I do not consult anyone when I hoard, therefore the hoards paramiters are set by myself. My 400+ 27 S slqs I consider a hoard, just like my lot of over 3 henning jeffs- oh you get the idea. I guess I am at a loss as to why you ask this?

Did someone lob an insult at one of yours saying it did not fit certain standards set by the hoard police? image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A 55 gallon drum of barber halves!
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I am at a loss as to why you ask this?

i guess the reason i asked was just out of curiosity, wondering what everyone thinks. it really was that simple. you see, i had shown a RedBook to a customer the other day and explained to them that there was good information in the book even though the pricing isn't reliable. then i started reading the section in the front about hoards and saw that they ranged from small to really large with the overriding theme being some type of suspicion regarding the economy or distrust of the Government in general. since i'm a smart guy the wheels turn constantly and oftentimes gain good traction!!!! i thought to the present day and instantly considered that there could be any number of hoards being socked away right now, awaiting their inevitible discovery and rightful place in Numismatic folklore.
  • Options
    JoflaxJoflax Posts: 979
    If you already have one and you feel like you need another one, then you are a hoarder and therefore have a hoard
    Buy the dips!!!
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most people who have a jar full of old pennies have a hoarder's mentality.
    There might be rolls, there might be boxes, or some other way of "collecting", but it's not a collection yet. A hoard has potential, but what is collectible, is in and among that which is hoarded.
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    more than one of a similar object
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    JoflaxJoflax Posts: 979
    The question is, if you have 2 and you sell one.
    Have you just sold your hoard ??
    Or do you have to sell both of them?
    Buy the dips!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file