Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is Magnifying Lense used to see the Lincoln Cent

I had been reading in the forum that many forum members are getting the Error Lincoln Coins.
can any one let me know what is the Magnifying Lense you are using to see clearly the Coins and deside that there is am Error on the coin.
Where can i get the Magnifying Lense.

Comments

• Options
    Search the thread 'Mater List'. Heres a link to make it easy for ya... Master List

You will find all you need in places to buy some, or ebay.

I use a stereo microscope, $395 and 2 loupes. A x10, and a x20. I can see everything I need to very clearly.

Good luck.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your best results will come from using a scanning electron microscope.
    The best feature by far is it has Excellent analytical geometry for EDX, WDX, and EBSD

The big money error on the Lincolns is the EDX...........thats the one you need to search for.

http://www.tescan-usa.com/Mira.htm
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

"Your best results will come from using a scanning electron microscope."
    -----

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I saw the website for the Tescan Mira-II microscope, but its resolution only goes down to 1.2nm. How large are the errors on the Lincoln cent? I thought they were smaller than 1.0 aM (attometer) and that the Tescan Mira-II would not be able to see it. Perhaps it is only good for the larger errors. Someone with more experience could enlighten us as to how big the errors are and the best optics to use.

Tom

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

............a 7 power or 10 power should be all you need to spot these. but i know some guys that swear by these....................

imageimage
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you need high magnification to see an error or variety, it's not going to be worth a whole lot of $$$$$.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To protect my eye sight long-term, I use a seeing eye dog.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    The Yerkes Observatory 40 inch refractor is excellent also, but booking time is tough.
  • Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034

<< <i>If you need high magnification to see an error or variety, it's not going to be worth a whole lot of $$$$$. >>

I'm sure it's hard to imagine but sometimes people enjoy hobbies for reasons other than $$$$$ and that's what, in fact, makes it a hobby.
    imageRIP
  • Options
    WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806
    I understood there is an obverse error on the Guam quarters and that NASA is sending some up on the next mission for the Hubble to check ut.

If verified these will go for moon money.
  • Options
    Yup. I know one fellow who builds fantastically expensive remote control helicopters. They have a dremel attached underneath. The object of this hobby is to hover over a dinner plate, and drill a hole through it.

On slip of the controller...and that five grand model smashes and crashes with spectacular effect.

He loves it.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If you need high magnification to see an error or variety, it's not going to be worth a whole lot of $$$$$. >>

I'm sure it's hard to imagine but sometimes people enjoy hobbies for reasons other than $$$$$ and that's what, in fact, makes it a hobby. >>

You are of course correct but many new collectors think that any minor error or variety will be valuable and I wanted to spare these new collectors any disappointment should they discover a minor variety or error using their new microscopes.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    If you can't see it with a 10X it's not a big variety.

You might need a scope to get good pics or see the markers.

Ed
  • Options
    <<You are of course correct but many new collectors think that any minor error or variety will be valuable and I wanted to spare these new collectors any disappointment should they discover a minor variety or error using their new microscopes.>>

My scope paid for its self many times over with those inexpensive, non popular errors and varieties... image Look at some of the Ike varieties, some are very minor but bring decent money.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you can't see it with a 10X it's not a big variety.

You might need a scope to get good pics or see the markers.

image >>

3x is not enough - 6x-10x is about right - more than that is overkill

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    Think................ HUBBLE
  • Options
    ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    10X , you'll see errors with this easily
    figglehorn
  • Options
    stckplungestckplunge Posts: 469 ✭✭
    I got one of these for my son to examine things close-up. It attached to my giant LCD TV. I thought it was really neat so I looked at some coins and it turns out that at 250X every coin I own is a Doubled Die!!! I am serious about this.

• Options
    WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806

<< <i>I got one of these for my son to examine things close-up. It attached to my giant LCD TV. I thought it was really neat so I looked at some coins and it turns out that at 250X every coin I own is a Doubled Die!!! I am serious about this.

image >>

This can also be accomplished via comsumption of fermented beverages.
  • Options

<< <i>10X , you'll see errors with this easily >>

Good advise
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought we were suposed to be able to see errors and varities with normal eyesight otherwise they would not be listed?

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>10X , you'll see errors with this easily >>

Good answer.
    You don't need an expensive one either chvan.
  • Options
    is that normal eyesight for a 15 yr old. Or a 55 yr old? image
  • Options
    I use a 16x loupe. It's a bit of an overkill but I get up close and personal with the coin. Please keep in mind that this is on a cent and not a coin the size of a morgan dollar. Speaking of morgans I can't believe all the VAM's on those and most are so minute that you can't even see them with the naked eye on a big fat coin like that too.
    In the time of Chimpanzee's
    I was a Monkey
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get a big one that you can also put over the keys on the keyboard! image

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file