Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coins And The Significant Other....

SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
Yep, I bought the doghouse again apparently. Like it has been awhile since I have been grilled about a coin purchase, the last serious time was when I bought the 1799 $1, B-10, BB-163, a Rarity 2 die marriage, which for only a few months was the most expensive coin purchase, and that was back in 2006. I had decent purchases all last year, Stacks, B&M, Heritage etc. But the purchase from back in April is what got me woken up at 2am from a sound sleep in an Amsterdam hotel.

"I am not mad, but how could you spend that much money on one coin?"

"Do you love it as much as me?"

I know it is getting better for me when this comes...

"I am going on a shopping spree and spending that much"

The thing that sent this purchase over the edge, well, was that it was my first five figure purchase.

I am still in the doghouse until she goes shopping with my four daughters. Then maybe I can come back in the house again. Damned dog needs a bath too, he stinks.

BTW the coin was non-USA this time, all my USA stuff is sort of up for sale, not a lot of interest on my part, and my lovely wife and daughters would love the dosh for their NYC shopping junket next month.
In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

Comments

• rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    "I am not mad, but how could you spend that much money on one coin?"

Why yes honey, I have spent much more than this on you. image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806
    "Coins And The Significant Other"

One in the same for some.
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some things need to remain SECRET!
  • Tut-tut

Every serious numismatist has a separate bank account and credit card whose statements are mailed to the office, or an accomodation address.

There's nothing deceptive about it, call it survival. How do you think that I've been married for 35 years? (this Sat. BTW).

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭
    ...and this is why I will never have a joint checking account.
  • DropdaflagDropdaflag Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife would strangle me in my sleep if she knew how much I have spent. Happy anniversary sportsmod!image
  • BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    well, a big difference is the coin will hold its value A LOT better than purses and clothes and shoes and worthless crap that they won't wear or use in 6-8 months. I guess it depends on the consequences of making a purchase that large. If you fall into debt(or worse debt) or forego the bills to make this purchase I could see getting ballistic, but with a five figure coin I would at least sit the wife down and discuss it first. The wife and I started having ourselves blow money some time back. It was something to the extent of a couple hundred each every two weeks. We both agreed that we are allowed to do with the money as we choose as long as it isn't drugs or hookers. image I we want to blow it all in five minutes then by all means do it. I have told my wife that I may hang on to this money for sometimes up to a year and buy a $5,000 coin and my wife said she's fine with it since it was my money.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • curlycurly Posts: 2,880

I just tell Mrs curly that I can't help it....I was beaten as a child and thrown out on the street. Then I break down crying and she tells me that it's all right.

Then I tell her that I'm going back down to the coin store. image
    Every man is a self made man.
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW, I do have separate bank accounts, but she came back to the USA, got the mail, and opened my bank statements. That was what started it, her opening my mail.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    Your wife is very immature and insecure.
    imageRIP
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1799 $1, B-10, BB-163, a Rarity 2 die marriage, >>

post pictures!
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What my wife don't know can't hurt me.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• << <i>"I am not mad, but how could you spend that much money on one coin?"

Why yes honey, I have spent much more than this on you. image >>

Easy playing arm chair quarterback image I am sure you would repeat that same mantra with your significant otherimage

Cliff
    RACC
    I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then question the manner in which I provide it. I prefer you said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand to post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!
  • ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife has an extensive collection of primitive figurines. Cute, folksy things, ...the house if full of them. I never question her at all on the costs, or question her purchase of any of them.

Thats my part of the deal.
  • yellowkidyellowkid Posts: 5,486
    Mine is pretty good about it. She is a big collector(antiques) so she understands, although I've spent so much lately she has taken to rolling her eyes when I tell her how much it cost.
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife doesn't understand my coin collecting fascination or how I can spend "that much" on one piece... but I don't hear her complain when I sell something to meet an unexpected bill or to raise capitol to buy something else...
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

<< <i>What my wife don't know can't hurt me.image >>

She wasn't supposed to know, but she returned to the USA and opened up MY mail.

<< <i>

<< <i>1799 $1, B-10, BB-163, a Rarity 2 die marriage, >>

post pictures! >>

• DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    Well, you're sure to garnish a sympathetic ear on this forum. I don't know why though! image

Isn't opening another's mail, mail fraud? At least I tell that to my wife, but if she's the first to retrieve the mail, and it's an interesting return addy, that doesn't stop her.

I consider you "lucky". Your spouse doesn't complain until you lay down 5 figs on a single coin. Oh and a very nice one, I might add! image

I started a Liberty Nickel collection in April and I've spend $2K on ebay the last two months and I get: "I thought you weren't going to 'get' them all at once?"

Like I said, lot's of sympathetic ears on the CU forum. We're here for ya' buddy!image
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file