Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

***WAXGOLD: It's now your turn--you're BUSTED***

As I did with import-export-co I also suspected ebay pack seller (waxgold) of selling counterfeit vintage wax packs. And with the same approach employed to expose import-export I carefully studied each and every vintage wrapper sold on ebay over the last eight months and wrote down the ebay listing # of all wrappers that had unique and distinct surface characteristics.

Similarly, over the last eight months, I carefully studied every vintage raw wax pack listed on ebay by (waxgold) in hopes of coming across such packs whose wrappers perfectly matched any of the unique and distinct surface characteristics I found on previously purchased raw wrappers.

And in doing so I have documented dozens of "perfect matches" giving me undisputable evidence that ebayer (waxgold), the second largest seller of vintage packs on ebay, is a pack counterfeiter.

Ebay seller (waxgold) uses a second ebay user ID (toppsfleer231) to purchase his wrappers and he, like import-export-co, is a very prolific buyer of vintage wax wrappers. Toppsfleer231 has conveniently choosen a private user ID so when he buys a wrapper ebay will show the buyer only as: r***t (private).

Here is a sample of my evidence: on May 13th waxgold used his toppsfleer231 ID to purchase a 1973 topps baseball wax wrapper (catcher style)--ebay listing# 330329851885. And just eleven days later, May 24th, waxgold listed on ebay a raw 1973 topps baseball wax pack wearing the same (identical) wrapper--ebay listing# 120425455353.

As before I don't know how to post links so for the benefit of my fellow collectors if anyone out there can supply links or side by side pictures of both listings I would greatly appreciate it as it makes it much easier to compare both wrappers when side by side.

Please look at both wrapper reverses and you will be first drawn to a large, vertically-shaped dark smudge to the left of the numbers (#451) in the top line of red letters. Also there is a same spot directly above the (5) in (#451) exactly where the yellow and white colors meet.

In the second line of red letters look at the smudges of red ink in the letters (ALL B) in the words BASEBALL BATTING.

Observe a smudge just left of the letter (B) in Boost on the 3rd line of red letters.

Look also at the black smudging of the black letters (LIC) in Licence in the black lettering area of the wrapper reverse.

And for the "clincher" look at the small but obvious dirty spot above the black letter (R) in (printed) as well as the small dirty spot well below the (R) in (ontario).

And with respect to the front of the wrapper look very closely at the black spot on both wrappers to the bottom right of the number (1) in 1 STICK. Also on the black (M) in (GUM) there is a spot of gray wax which is easily seen on the pack wrapper and faintly seen on the raw wrapper--but its there.

It is impossible for two different wrappers to possess several identical ink smudges and dirty spots all of which are identical in both nature and size while occuring in the exact same locations.

Let me note that a few additional smudge marks exist on the pack wrapper that are absent from the raw wrapper and this is obviously a result of ink smudging that occured during the resealing process.

Again I have done all the work so I leave it up to you, my fellow collectors, to draw your own conclusion!
"You tell 'em I'm coming...and hell's coming with me"--Wyatt Earp

Comments

• Sad but not suprising

A few months ago I never could have believed anything could have been as bad as the autograph industry. When you consider the prices, this might be even worse

Only thing I can say is I'm very glad I wasted my money on different garbage
    Tom
  • MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
    Good work again. I'm afraid the scam artists visit these boards and will come up with more difficult to detect schemes, but until then, go get 'em.
  • Thanks Ripken for your scans--if I only had your skills....
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    IF they get enough complaints, the FBI will likely move
    against ALL of the GANGSTERS that are operating with
    TOTAL impunity on EBAY.

www.ic3.gov
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • take him down.
    WTB:
    CINCINNATI REDS
    1976 - 1991 - Topps PSA 10
    1983 & 1985 Fleer PSA 10
    1985 Donruss PSA 10
    Blue Ink Signed Topps Cards
    Game-Used Bats/Jerseys
    OPC PSA 10
    MC & OC Cards

OTHER:
    Eric Davis Anything
    Votto, Willingham, Cantu, Doumit, Gomes
    Baron Davis Game Used Jersey
  • Dont mention it. CU taught me. If more had your detective skills....
    imageimageimage

toppsfleer231.........( private )......1 month.........MI, United States

waxgold............( 594).......1 year 7 months.................MI, United States

My question is:

What ID was the guy using before toppsfleer231?
  • Nice work detective. Hopefully your hard work and dedication to pack scams puts some people out of business or at least slows them down, and more importantly gives awareness to potential buyers. Thanks again for your hard work. By the way, what a lousy resealing job on those packs, geez. Doug
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe how horrible that wrap/seal job is. Though I fault the fraudsters that peddle these bogus items, buyers should educate themselves a bit on what they're buying before they spend tens to hundreds of dollars on them.
  • You're getting pretty good at this.
    Mike
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Waxgold is the same seller as "bbwax." He started selling under Waxgold after receiving a slew of negatives under the bbwax user ID. These thieves sicken me..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    the '60 penny pack was bought as a wrapper from a board member and turned into a pack, that was then "sold" several times.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

<< <i>Waxgold is the same seller as "bbwax." He started selling under Waxgold after receiving a slew of negatives under the bbwax user ID. These thieves sicken me.. >>

///////////////////////////////////

bbwax ( 147) 6 months KS, United States

Either he moved or his registration of

waxgold............( 594).......1 year 7 months.................MI, United States

are fraudulent.

Stating an incorrect item location is a NARU offense.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    < Waxgold is the same seller as "bbwax." He started selling under Waxgold after receiving a slew of negatives under the bbwax user ID. These thieves sicken me.. >>

///////////////////////////////////

bbwax ( 147) 6 months KS, United States

Either he moved or his registration of

are fraudulent.

Stating an incorrect item location is a NARU offense.

According to his most recent auctions, bbwax's location aka waxgold was actually listed as Muskegon, MI..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    "According to his most recent auctions, bbwax's location aka waxgold was actually listed as Muskegon, MI.."

///////////////////////////

It then becomes a violation of having "incorrect contact information."

The registration addy is the info given to bidders by EBAY, prior to
    the completion of the listing.

• Storm, here is all that I have on waxgold.

Waxgold has several current and past user ID's. His early ebay ID's came out of Kansas and some of his current ID's are coming out of Michigan. Prior to his using the ID toppsfleer231 to buy wrappers he used the ID (quinterw)--Coincidentally Quinter is also the name of a small town in Kansas--possibly waxgold lived or had ties there at one time. It was under the alias ID (toppsfleer231) that waxgold consistently outbid Sfexchange (alias import-export-co.) for vintage wrappers. I used to watch the actual bidding process and sfexchange would win a few but (toppsfleer231) was much more agressive.

During my research I personally spoke with an individual who admitted being burned by waxgold a few years back and I was told that waxgold did most of his damage using the user ID (rainquaker) at that time. This person also added that waxgold also used another user ID prior to rainquaker but he is keeping that information to himself and will only give it to law enforcement should they want it.

This person also tells me that ever since he was burned by waxgold he has been tracking his every move while logging everyebay wrapper purchase and wax pack sell. He also has has been watching him closely so as to confirm whenever he obtained a new user ID.

This person also tells me that he has contacted dozens and dozens of buyers from all of waxgold's user ID's and one person's name always come up as the recipient of the money. This informant states he also has paypal records supplied to him by various ebay members who felt they were defrauded.

This person also tells me that he also has made over 100+ confirmed matches between raw wrappers purchased on ebay and those same wrappers ending up on wax packs sold on ebay. And he kept all the ebay listing#'s for each particular auction and also made copies of the ebay listing pictures should the pictures no longer be accessible through ebay.

Most importantly he added that he has long been building a case against waxgold and now that it has been brought to the attention of the PSA boards he will gladly cooperate with the proper authorities.

Known alias user ebay ID's by waxgold:
    bbwax
    toppsfleer231
    quinterw
    rainquaker
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Incredible work Summer. Tracking these guys every move for 8 months. I hope it all pays off with some jail time for the crooks.

"Molon Labe"

quinterw ( private ) ...........3 months............ KS, United States

summer

Can you turn on your PM?

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone contacted the FBI to see if they would be interested in catching these crooks? It would be extremely easy to set up a sting to nab these frauds.

<< <i>Has anyone contacted the FBI to see if they would be interested in catching these crooks? It would be extremely easy to set up a sting to nab these frauds. >>

/////////////

Complaints can be filed at

www.ic3.gov

Criminals' listings can also be reported to EBAY.

• RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Summer, I would also like for you to turn on your PM. Thanks.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • PM on.
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭
    He sounds like an outstanding person. Excuse me while I go get sick. Let me give everyone some advice-----Don't buy any unopened packs from anybody on Ebay or anywhere else. I don't care if they're reputable or not. The feds should get ahold of that scumbag.

Mickey71
  • Mickey71, I applaud your passionate response but I want to make clear that I am not trying to indict the unopened hobby as a whole. There are still some very honest retail and private sellers out there who have worked hard over the years to earn a lofty reputation.

From the retail sector The Baseball Card Exchange, Dave & Adam's Card World, Just Collect and Fritsch Cards immediately come to mind. All four have been around for years and have outstanding reputations and customer service.

My efforts here are to expose the identities of some of ebay's largest pack counterfeiters in an attempt to restore a level playing field so buyers can get a genuine product with their hard-earned money and in turn sellers can obtain fair prices for their legitimate packs based on their (real) scarcity and low supply!
  • Using ebay's past ID search I have come across another past user ID of Waxgold. It is ryan231231 and it was used from Oct-16-07 until Jan-11-09. Notice the same number sequence (231) in both ryan231231 and another of his ID's toppsfleer231.

Current confirmed list of user Id's used by waxgold:

Waxgold
    bbwax
    toppsfleer231
    quinterw
    rainquaker
    ryan231231

I am bumping this because the post below was updated today
    by summerof68.

A lot of action is going on, but I am having NO luck in dealing
    with T&S at EBAY.

I have a feeling that might be about to change.

/////////////////////

Edited: Thursday May 28, 2009 at 1:41 PM by summerof68

Tuesday May 26, 2009 6:35 PM

Here is all that I have on waxgold.

Waxgold has several current and past user ID's. His early ebay ID's came out of Kansas and some of his current ID's are coming out of Michigan. Prior to his using the ID toppsfleer231 to buy wrappers he used the ID (quinterw)--Coincidentally Quinter is also the name of a small town in Kansas--possibly waxgold lived or had ties there at one time. It was under the alias ID (toppsfleer231) that waxgold consistently outbid Sfexchange (alias import-export-co.) for vintage wrappers. I used to watch the actual bidding process and sfexchange would win a few but (toppsfleer231) was much more agressive.

During my research I personally spoke with an individual who admitted being burned by waxgold a few years back and I was told that waxgold did most of his damage using the user ID (rainquaker) at that time. This person also added that waxgold also used another user ID prior to rainquaker but he is keeping that information to himself and will only give it to law enforcement should they want it.

This person also tells me that ever since he was burned by waxgold he has been tracking his every move while logging everyebay wrapper purchase and wax pack sell. He also has has been watching him closely so as to confirm whenever he obtained a new user ID.

This person also tells me that he has contacted dozens and dozens of buyers from all of waxgold's user ID's and one person's name always come up as the recipient of the money. This informant states he also has paypal records supplied to him by various ebay members who felt they were defrauded.

This person also tells me that he also has made over 100+ confirmed matches between raw wrappers purchased on ebay and those same wrappers ending up on wax packs sold on ebay. And he kept all the ebay listing#'s for each particular auction and also made copies of the ebay listing pictures should the pictures no longer be accessible through ebay.

Most importantly he added that he has long been building a case against waxgold and now that it has been brought to the attention of the PSA boards he will gladly cooperate with the proper authorities.

Known ebay ID's used by waxgold:

bbwax
    toppsfleer231
    quinterw
    rainquaker
    ryan231231

Edited: Thursday May 28, 2009 at 1:41 PM by summerof68