Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2010 lincoln reverse?

tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

......which do you wish for?

"government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington

Comments

• Options
    JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    A couple of stalks of wheat would be nice ... image
    Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ill bet NONE of those ever get struck.

whatever it will be it will ooZe political correctness and racial overtones. (you watch)
  • Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
    I prefer the 3rd one - simplicity on a small coin works better IMO
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't really like any of them , but if I had to choose, I would say the one on the bottem LP-17
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    I hope that these are not the only choices ... but I do agree that the next reverse will ooze with political correctness.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A couple of stalks of wheat would be nice ... image >>

• Options

......gimme that EAGLE!!!!!image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    LP-17 image
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    LP10 Flag image
  • Options
    RobbRobb Posts: 2,034
    Well, if we're going to go PC we might as well put the man that Abe shared a bed with every night for four years, Joshua Speed.

imageRIP
  • Options
    atarianatarian Posts: 3,116
    What they should do ( going on the limb)

LP 13 for the phili mint

LP 17 for the Denver mint

LP 02 for Sanfran mint

LP10 for the special sets minted at west point.

I would prefer LP13 over LP 17
    Founder of the NDCCA. *WAM Count : 025. *NDCCA Database Count : 2,610. *You suck 6/24/10. <3 In memory of Tiggar 5/21/1994 - 5/28/2010 <3
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm stuck between LP-13 & LP-17
  • Options
    LP17
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Discontinue the denomination.

The cent buys less than 5% of what it bought in 1913, and even then (like now) it was the lowest denomination coin.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    1. LP-17
    2. LP-02
    3. LP-13

I don't like LP-10 at all.

As for PC, you all do understand, of course, that all of these are PC, just not the kind fo PC you're talking about. The design will have to be one kind of PC or antoher. Since they are produced by governments, coin designs are political by their very nature. There is no way to get around that. I guess private coinage would be different but when a government is involved I don't see how the design can not display one variety or another of "PC."
  • Options
    So, are these proposed designs? The cent will continue after 2009? Will Lincoln still be on the obverse. I wouldn't mind a new obverse as well.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about we just can the cent?...oh yeah, impossible.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    We can the cent and the dollar bill.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    How about this one from Shylock:

"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    That's a cool composite and I like the lack of legends but I don't want to see a retread of past designs.
  • Options
    HTubbsHTubbs Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭
    I believe I like the first one the most...
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know I am not totally against just resuming the Memorial Reverse in 2010.

• Options
    i tend to like LP10.

i hope they won't do away with the Cent. it's just government getting its foot in the door with eventually doing away with all coin and paper money. Already there's commercials where the weirdo is the one using cash.
    A lie told often enough becomes the truth. ~Vladimir Lenin
  • Options

........i think, the least the mint and congress can do, is give us the eagle back that they took off of the SAC BUCK!!!image
  • Options
    Halfhunter06Halfhunter06 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    none, all poor choices
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    LP 17
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    Ignorance abliss--can the worthless cent, and the paper dollar.
  • Options
    3 and 4. Both have some charm.

Hopefully the final decision will be something genuinely patriotic and American.
  • Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    LP17
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A couple of stalks of wheat would be nice ... >>

Ed
  • Options
    AberlightAberlight Posts: 384 ✭✭
    Are these actual proposals or fantasy concepts?
  • Options

<< <i>Are these actual proposals or fantasy concepts? >>

........here's the storyimage
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    actual, apparently

none, the memorial suits me fine, as does a couple of stems of wheat.

mint's wording on 2010 reverse mandate

<< <i>At the conclusion of the 2009 Lincoln Bicentennial One-Cent Program, the 2010 (and beyond) one-cent coin will feature a reverse design that will be emblematic of President Lincoln's preservation of the United States of America as a single and united country. >>

PC? I think, like it or not, it's required.

none of the 4 designs speak to the concept, imo.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    AberlightAberlight Posts: 384 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Are these actual proposals or fantasy concepts? >>

........here's the storyimage >>

It mentions 18 designs. Are there another 14, or are these 4 the finals?
  • Options
    [It mentions 18 designs. Are there another 14, or are these 4 the finals? >>

..........i think we're early, on the finals, stay tuned! image
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I like the third. Remember, this will be on a small coin. There is not room for a lot of fine detail. Also, the curved scroll reminds me of classic coins.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>image
    image >>

............image
  • Options
    I like the Shield.
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    I have to go with #1 (LP-02) for several reasons................

First, the Capitol Building is representative of the "Union" that was preserved by Lincoln, and there's nothing in it which would upset people one way or the other.

Second, it's still a building - - although "offset" from centered on the reverse - - which is something we're used to with the previous Lincoln Memorial design.

Third, if they could put enough detail of the log cabin on this year's first reverse, it shouldn't be too hard to get the Capitol Bldg on the new reverse.

Finally, it's not aesthetically UNPLEASANT to look at.

As far as the other ones go, the flag by itself represented in LP-10 just doesn't do it for me, and there's just too much lettering that makes it look bottom-heavy. And a flat flag isn't extremely inspired-looking.

While LP-13 has its merits in bringing back the idea of the shield, it looks too narrow/pointy, and that scroll just doesn't fit in with the rest of the design. This is a case where there's too LITTLE wording at the bottom.

Finally, while the LP-17 is an intriguing design concept, I think the eagle in most renderings fits better on a larger sized coin like the quarter, half, or dollar. The picture is already cramped in a picture roughly twice the size of what it woud actually be, so putting it on a penny would only serve to "marginalize" its impact and beauty.

I would definitely like to see the other 14 candidates (does anyone have a link to all 18 candidates?), but for now give my aesthetic nod to LP-02.

- - Dave image
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time for a complete redesign.
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭
    can they capture any kind of shading on the shield at all?

(not to steal the art, but to get something that looks more like a shield than a cariacature of a shield as a way of discussing improvements.)

I'm still trying to find a place for a full set of steps.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    bonkroodbonkrood Posts: 796 ✭✭✭
    I like 13 or 17 best.
    image Steam Power
  • Options
    DropdaflagDropdaflag Posts: 775 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like the Shield. >>

Union Shield for the "Savior of the Union".
  • Options
    I hope the government show a tiny bit of restraint and ceases production of the cent AND the paper dollar.
    Some call it an accumulation not a collection
  • Options
    GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374
    Please stop producing the cent and save me money...!!!....please.....!!!
    ......Larry........image
  • Options

........come on lawrence, don't you want to share your wealth?image
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    obviously the LP-17, or the Eagle reverse! That would be awesome, the mint needs to get back to the basics image
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    The legislation for the 2010 Lincoln reverse states that the design should be "emblematic of President Lincoln's preservation of the United States of America as a single and united country."

I fail to see this required symbolism in any of these designs regardless of their artistic merit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file