Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What are YOUR career stats?

2»

Comments

• Options
    In 1975 I was the first athlete in the 24 year history of my high-school to get one's picture in the Los Angeles Times. I was chosen by the Times as Prep Player of the Week for my performance in a playoff game in which I played outside linebacker and had 17 unassisted tackles--9 occuring behind the line of scrimmage.
    What's really interesting is that all the players that won this award during the season were invited by the L.A. Times to attend a banquet in which then USC football coach John Robinson was the guest speaker. I was a small player with average talent but I excelled through hard work. I remember looking at all the other high-school players at the banquet and being amazed at how big they were. Anthony Munoz was one of the high-school players there with me. I remember he towered above me and my hand disappeared in his when we shook hands. I remember saying to myself, "what in the hell am I doing here, this is way out of my league."
    "You tell 'em I'm coming...and hell's coming with me"--Wyatt Earp
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I don't remember my numbers but I do swing some major wood.

As far as baseball goes, I only played up until 8th grade. >>

image >>

It was the shrinkage factor!!
  • Options
    I played baseball all four years in HS, being starting catcher/2B/SS my last two years. Hit 1 home run, but batted around .400 for all 4 years. The one thing I did have going was I was the slowest man on the team, but I was always in the top 3 of our team in SB. I learned my freshman year you didn't steal on your speed, you picked up on the pitcher's movements. Once I figured out his motion to home, I was gone! image
    2001-2014 Topps Heritage complete!
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>
    I'm sure you're up to date on new equipment, but FWIW I recently bought a pearl Cell and that ball, imo, is the absolute bomb. It's by far the hardest hitting rock I've ever owned. >>

Honestly I do not buy a lot of equipment, but I do have a few buddies on staff with Ebonite who share some of their goodies with me, so I have alot of Ebonite equipment. Some of the more recent favorites of mine are the Gamebreaker, the Raw Anger and the Infinite One. All time, I have to say that the best ball I have ever used is the Track Critical Mass. I actually own 3 15# undrilled and 3 drilled. Have been offered upwards of $400 each for the undrilled ones. In today's scoring environment, balls with a lower RG (technical term) seem to have the best consistency across most conditions. >>

Small world-- the first reactive ball I ever bought was a critical mass, back in the late summer of 1994! That was a great ball; sometimes I still miss it.
  • Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭
    Wrestling for me. Wrestled in highschool and amassed a 72-30 record and placed in sectionals a couple times. Also wrestled in college & coached my old highschool team for 9 years from '82 thru '91. Now still wrestle open class & masters division tournaments....not too many 45 yr. olds crazy enough to enter so I end up wrestling the 18 & over division. Still do pretty good but my wrestling style has drastically changed from hs/college. Then I wanted to go out and kill someone...now I just try and coast and conserve my energy til the other guy makes a mistake and capitalize on that! Actually beat the captain of RIT a couple years ago and also beat an all-american from Brockport so I can still hold my own.

-Claude
  • Options
    Wrestling--career 166-13
    Football--All State my senior year at linebacker recording 171 tackles in eight games.

Several scholarship offers, but threw it all away to join the marines for six years.

I still regret it.....

Semper Fi
    Dan
    "If the Army and the Navy ever look on Heaven's scene, they will find the streets are guarded by United States Marines!" - Marine Corps Hymn
  • Options

<< <i>In fast pitch softball I have won over 350 games while losing a little over 200.

Steve >>

Sounds a little like Warren Spahn image
  • Options
    My favorite for me personally...

Many years after college ball, while in a competitive adult baseball league, I was about 32 years old at the time...I hit a 458 foot HR that was measured accurately as it landed next to the bleachers on another field.

That year I hit 8 HR in 36 at bats, with a ton of walks, and batted over .500. I only played part time due to other obligations.

I was always a good hitter, but I peaked as a hitter in my early 30's and even surpassed guys who were better hitters than me in college. That is what made it even more fun. I pitched in college.

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Do Math League trophies count?

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Absolutely - yours truly was the Captain of the local JV squad in the 1986 New York State Mathletes competion.
  • Options
    wronglegwrongleg Posts: 441 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Captain of the varsity Tennis team my junior and senior years.

Most accomplishments are from bowling

300 games - 12
    299 games - 5
    298 games - 2
    290 games - 1
    800 series - 3

24 seperate association championships Dickson/Nashville/Knoxville bowling association

State record holder of 2 state records
    Local Association record holder 2-Nashville Bowling Association/3 Dickson Bowling Association

3 Terms association president
    2 terms association director

Captain-University of Tennessee bowling team 1987-1989

7 year Pba member since 2002
    29 Regional tournaments (21 cashes) winnings of $10, 920
    1 National Tournament (1 cash) winnings $1,000 2002 Odor-Eaters Championships, Louisville KY

Oh and won the 1985 Tennessee State Chess Championships (novice division)

Getting old really sux >>

Those are incredible numbers. I only have one 300, zero 800's.... and I'm lefthanded.

I'm sure you're up to date on new equipment, but FWIW I recently bought a pearl Cell and that ball, imo, is the absolute bomb. It's by far the hardest hitting rock I've ever owned. >>

7 300's
    8 299's
    1 298
    4 800's
    booked 230 or better 4 times 232 being my best
    Right handed and slide with the right foot "wrong leg"
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    We didn't have Little League in Oakland but I batted over .600 as an 11 year old and over .500 as a 12 year old in the equivalent.

High School was varsity three years, Only in three games and pitched 7 innings in my Soph year but in one game struck out the 2-3-4 hitters of Oakland Tech in one inning, one of which was Rickey Henderson and one of which was Fred Atkins who was later drafted by the Yankees but never made the bigs.

All-City my Jr and Sr years. For some reason Oakland wasn't in the CIF (California Interscholastic Federation) so we never got to compete beyond Oakland. There used to be an game at Candlestick Park between the Oakland Athletic League champion and the San Francisco Athletic League Champion but for some reason the game was not played the two years we won our league. Shame too as we had three guys who were drafted (not me) including Lloyd Moseby, one time All-Star and played several years with the Blue Jays. Hit my only home run in my last high school game (but alas, not my last at bat like Ted Williams).

Hurt my shoulder before my first year of college and basically was washed up after that.

Took up coaching after that and won two City Championships with 13-15 year olds in 5 years.

Took up playing ice hockey about 15 years ago and am about a two point a game player, in low level beer leagues. Have won two weekend tournaments in Las Vegas, made all-tourney in one.

I have made a hole in one on a par-3 nine hole course.

My high game in bowling was 279 (I choked badly after the first 10 strikes).

Used to be pretty much unbeatable at ping pong image
  • Options
    edit because the beer was good last night
  • Options
    Since it IS AN AVERAGE of some sorts and some people consider bowling a sport image

Career best 229 average a couple years ago
    13 career 300 games
    4 career 800 series, tops of 851

Linky They only go back a few years with the stats since the ABC/WIBC merge (crap, giving away my age.....)

Never took it to the next level beyond some local scratch events, just did not have the desire I guess.
    Now it is just 3 games a week with alot of beer yet still grinding out at a 215 pace.

Pitched a little in Hi School and struck out a kid named Darren Watkins who made it to the AA level in the KC Royals farm system years ago. I will not mention the 400+ ft home run he hit off me next at bat though image
  • Options

<< <i>Now it is just 3 games a week with alot of beer yet still grinding out at a 215 pace. >>

LOL, sounds like me now accept the average is still at 230.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Now it is just 3 games a week with alot of beer yet still grinding out at a 215 pace. >>

LOL, sounds like me now accept the average is still at 230. >>

You sir do not drink enough!
  • Options
    I didn't realize we had so many bowlers here. Some really good scores and highlights. I have had 4-300 games. I did carry a 228 in one league. A couple of years ago I came in 2nd in the Nation in a State Seniors Tournment. Even though I have never had a 800 series in competition I once bowled practice 279-300-279. Really house bowling is certainly not what it used to be, many years ago a 200 average was something to reckon with now its quite common. That why a Sports League (PBA patterns) is more of a true test of one's ability. I sure wish I had taken some lessons from Mark Baker a few years ago as he has helped me with my game recently.
    Collecting 1955 Topps BB
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    You guys need to take up golf - you can still drink but it's impossible to master. If I ever threw a 300 game in bowling I'd quit immediately.
  • Options

<< <i>That why a Sports League (PBA patterns) is more of a true test of one's ability. >>

217 average in our one local sport league last summer.

Again, come and get some.
  • Options
    That why a Sports League (PBA patterns) is more of a true test of one's ability. >>

WOW, I'm impressed. In our Sports league this year we have only 1 bowler over 200. In our Association we have the highest sports bowler in the Nation last year Brian Alpert with a 237 ave. and he down in the 220's this year.
    Collecting 1955 Topps BB
  • Options
    Our sport league starts in 3 weeks. I will report back in 4 months.
  • Options
    wronglegwrongleg Posts: 441 ✭✭

<< <i>That why a Sports League (PBA patterns) is more of a true test of one's ability. >>

WOW, I'm impressed. In our Sports league this year we have only 1 bowler over 200. In our Association we have the highest sports bowler in the Nation last year Brian Alpert with a 237 ave. and he down in the 220's this year. >>

Brian is a great bowler. He was the 2nd bowler to shoot an 800 right handed and left handed. He won 1 PBA title in the early 90's also.
  • Options
    Little league Baseball-I was the pitcher until the coaches son wanted to be after first game-never won a single game
    Basketball - Scored the winning 2 points in a game
    Isshinryu Karate - 1 tournament fight - not allowed to fight again after that (didn't pull punches/kicks enough for point fighting)
    Boyscouts-Life Scout
    TaeKwonDo - Took out sensei 2X during sparring
    Life - Last worked for the man in Jan 2006. Still do enough to keep my house and have been able to be there for my family and enjoying life!
  • Options
    My last year of high school baseball (10th grade) I hit .274 on the Junior Varsity squad, 0 HRs, a handful of RBI's.

The last year I played high school basketball (11th grade) I don't remember my exact stats but it was somewhere in the ballpark of like 3-5 pts and a couple rebounds a game.

This past year in football (my senior year), I ended up with something like 30 tackles, 1 sack (cornerback BLITZ!!! image haha) and 1 interception. Got to play against some remarkable talent (many future D-1 stars.
  • Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    I was fairly successful in some areas and not so in others

HS Football, started 11 and 12 grade at noseguard. 11 grade made it to state semi-finals, 12 grade lost in state championship game ( that one still hurst, I HATE DALLAS COUNTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Not so successful

Played basketball in grades 7,8,9, in those three years I scored 2 points and fouled out twice in less than 3 minutes. I averaged 0.667 points a year.
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    My 15 minutes....

Drafted 4th round 85th overall in the Jan 1985 draft by the Expos (remember them?), as a lefty pitcher (mid 90's when I was 17).

Injured (left wrist) right before draft when I was dogpiled after a game winning hit (American Legion)... never played again image Oh well

Best players I played against (HS, Am.Legion, 1 yr. College)

1.Gregg Jefferies (best player Ive seen ever at HS level, carried his bat in school between classes, switch hitter with pop, never struckout.... seriously)
    2. Matt Williams (bald even in HS, best raw power)
    3.Devon White (fast as hell)
    4. Greg Vaughn (buzzed him in as he always dove)
    5. John Wetteland (teammate for 5 years, 4 seamer that hopped, mid 90's)
    6.Ed Sprague Jr. (power but had many holes in his swing)
    7.Barry Bonds (known as "Bobby's Son", fast as hell, hotdog and disruptive on bases (but backed it up), never saw power back then)
    8.Randy Johnson (wild as hell, tough to hit especially for a lefty because the ball came from strange angle)
  • Options

<< <i>My 15 minutes....

Drafted 4th round 85th overall in the Jan 1985 draft by the Expos (remember them?), as a lefty pitcher (mid 90's when I was 17).

Injured (left wrist) right before draft when I was dogpiled after a game winning hit (American Legion)... never played again image Oh well

) >>

THAT's garbage!!!!!
  • Options
    rugbymarinerugbymarine Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My 15 minutes....

Best players I played against (HS, Am.Legion, 1 yr. College)

1.Gregg Jefferies (best player Ive seen ever at HS level, carried his bat in school between classes, switch hitter with pop, never struckout.... seriously)
    2. Matt Williams (bald even in HS, best raw power)
    3.Devon White (fast as hell)
    4. Greg Vaughn (buzzed him in as he always dove)
    5. John Wetteland (teammate for 5 years, 4 seamer that hopped, mid 90's)
    6.Ed Sprague Jr. (power but had many holes in his swing)
    7.Barry Bonds (known as "Bobby's Son", fast as hell, hotdog and disruptive on bases (but backed it up), never saw power back then)
    8.Randy Johnson (wild as hell, tough to hit especially for a lefty because the ball came from strange angle) >>

1985 4 85 Nationals Frank Ward LHP Santa Rosa JC (CA)

- Baseball Reference.com
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Baseball- In youth baseball I was a stud, later I was a dud. First full season of pitching in youth league struck out 132 batters in only 9 games pitched (games were only 7 innings long and they didn't all go that long). Had one whole season where I pitched 6 no-hitters out of 7 starts. Had another season where I pitched 4 no hitters out of 7 starts (that's when they started moving the mound back and I had to adjust). I couldn't hit though and only had one home run in youth league and that was subsequently disallowed because the umpire had granted the other team a time out before they threw the pitch supposedly. Once I got to high school, however, I discovered young women and my baseball career went to Hades, I stopped practicing, got the attitude, and thought I was THE MAN. AND more importantly, the mound went to regulation distance and all of a sudden my fastball wasn't so fast. Played JV my sophomore year and we had a double header road games, our varsity coach met with me and my best friend, and told us whomever pitched better, would join varsity for the playoffs. I pitched a no-hit shutout, my friend pitched a 3 hitter, one run game in the 2nd game, and the next day, he got moved up and I didn't. I did the wrong thing and quit. Made varsity junior year but I wasn't getting what I felt was enough playing time and asked coach if I could be released to start basketball offseason. Senior year, I did go 4-0, and got my only high school varsity at bat (because I couldn't hit) againt Todd Ritchie (who later played for the pirates) and promptly lined a single to right field. So I finished my high school baseball career with a 4-0 100 percent pitching record, and a 1.000 batting average against a future major league pitcher. Tried to get myself back into playing shape and walk onto Notre Dame, but got cut by coach Pat Murphy. Got very bitter and never picked up a baseball since, occasionally dabble in softball now.

Football - Played QB in Junior High, but sucked Freshman year of high school and decided I valued my ribs more than I enjoyed playing football so I didn't sign up for soph year.

Basketball- Was pretty good at this, played varsity for a few games as a Freshman, off and on sophomore year, and fully in JR, and SR, years. Shot over 60% from 3 point range as a senior, but awful from everywhere else. Got to represent the Dallas Mavericks at the All Star game in Phoenix, a few years later as the fan representative for the AT&T Long Distance Shootout as I won a half season long 3 pt. competition in front of a capacity crowd during a Mav's game. Choked it up in Phoenix though and didn't place.

Golf - Lifetime hack at this, but I did win a brand new (at the time) 2003 Buick Rendezvous by sinking a hole in one at a tournament on a special hole. The Texas Legislature even passed a house resolution to recognize my feat. Pretty neat stuff.

Life - Have done pretty well, won't go into all that here, but I have a great wife, and two wonderful kids, and at the end of the day, that's ALL that matters. image

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    not my stats but thought i'd share. my 12 year old pitched a no-hitter thursday night in a rec league. then saturday he pitched a perfect game for his 12u travel team. needless to say, i was ecstatic and he is throwing with major confidence at this time. i know he will come down, but he is very pumped and ready for friday night.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭✭
    Fun thread... if anyone ever gets together a CU 3 point shooting contest I would wager a nice card on myself.

John
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I'm just shocked by the number of straight-up stud bowlers on these boards. I averaged 212 this year, which was a career high, and it looks like I'm firmly planted in the two-hole with the all-CU team (provided I make the cut, which now that I think about it I may not). If any of you ever had the utter misfortune of being transferred to S.E. Michigan give me a call- I can promise you I'll find you a team straightaway image
  • Options
    CrimsonTiderCrimsonTider Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭
    I'm a legit single digit handicap in golf, but that doesn't count because I drink beer when I play.
    collecting Dale Murphy and OPC
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I ONCE broke 200 in bowling and felt pretty damn happy with myself. You guys really put my little "achievment" into perspective for me. Thanks.

I did have a hole in one when I used to golf a lot. 145 yards. I hit a soft 6 iron and my friends laughed at me for not hitting an 8 like they did. image They can laugh but I have the hole in one!
  • Options
    richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    Got a pro tryout once and Sparky Lyle said, "You have good stuff, kid."

Never made it over the hump into pro ball.
    Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”