Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What are YOUR career stats?

Goofy thread, I know; I hope it will be fun. Although undersized, I was pretty athletic and being lefthanded got me a lot of attention from the coaches in Little League way back when. I played 2 years in LL before abandoning organized ball to run track and cross country.

My highlights:

1 career HR - opposite field. I don't remember anything other than it was off a change up (from a major cokehead) and should have landed in the shortstop's glove. Maybe the wind was blowing out that day.

.330+- career average. .340+- one year, .333+- the next. Lots of honest doubles and solid Pete Rose singles. Anybody who's seen Beer League with Artie Lange knows a guy with that .700 average. Our guy was named Kurt and he was a good guy; gone too soon at 35 from drugs.

Lowlights:

Despite being the #1 pitcher on a crummy team and having a decent Vida Blue rising fastball, I flaked out frequently and never got a W. I remember going 3 or 4 innings with a lead many times but never being able to seal the deal.

So who else remembers their numbers? Here's some more trivia: we played at Logan Field, named after the Braves Johnny Logan, the only Major Leaguer from our County... There was a guy my age, another lefty, who was drafted by the Brewers. He was the Babe Ruth of our town and I remember playing right field and him hitting me a one hop frozen rope single that sizzled. I think he lasted about a year or so at Single or Double A....a guy a couple years ahead of me got drafted by the Braves and played well enough at AAA that Bowman made a card of him in about 1990 or so. But that must have been a curse as he never got his cup of coffee, as far as I know...

Comments

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Never played organized ball. Did wrestle in high school briefly before they cut the program. Wrestled in two matches against larger opponents. Won both.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    I don't remember my stats at all. My senior year in college I batted .780+ in fraternity league softball lol. That took much skill and much alcohol.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    Good point, Brian; my Dad was Division III college champ at 191 in the 60s... I lasted 2 weeks in 9th grade at 132 and never got a win, even in scrimmage. I did score some points against a much bigger guy once, but in my defense, our team was like a high school Hall of Fame. Our Heavyweight played for Notre Dame as a DE and was working as a bouncer when some punks shot him several times with a .22, which just pissed him off...
  • Options
    EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    You guys were all on zoids
  • Options
    Re-watch Dazed and Confused: we were all sneaking beers and hiding from Ben Affleck.
  • Options
    I never tracked my batting average or anything, but my senior year in High School I hit the weights and finally developed a little bit of power. I hadn't hit a homerun since little league, so when I hit six homers my final season, I kept every ball. I even homered in my last game, at a Babe Ruth tournament in Canada. It was a truly majestic (more like, really weak) 325 ft. shot over the right field fence. PING! We lost 3-1.

I still have them, but when my wife found them recently, she stuck them in the garage with the dog's play balls. I rescued them, and they are now tucked in the closet of my den.
  • Options
    matthewbschultz83matthewbschultz83 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    They don't give Right Tackles stats....

Especially ones that were 195 their senior year in high school. But I managed a way to start and see pretty significant playing team for 1-9 Weatherford High School Kangaroo team in 2001.

I have a few photos, but I am still work (doing tax returns). A couple of years ago I noticed a lady making "custom" MacFarlane statues of college players and selling them on Ebay. She basically took the NFL statues and re-painted them. After I got her to make every Tech QB for the past 5 years I get her to make one of me in high school. So I have a 1/1 MacFarlane Statue of myself. I'll try and post a picture tomorrow evening or Thursday (if anyone cares).
    Matt's Card Page
    What I'm selling

Building Sets, Collecting Texas Rangers, and Texas Tech Red Raiders
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

I was mostly a high pop out or home run hitter in high school. Played catcher/defensive tackle (5'10" 255) do the math... Made City All-star my Jr year mostly due to the 18 home runs in 20 games(BA was .285). Played football my senior year then graduated mid-term and joined the Army. My popularity was for my home shots for distance ...( my Al Bundy moment) --I wish i could remember what school it was , but they had a short left field (260'-280'?) then about 50' of pavement with outdoor basketball courts and then the cafeteria building just beyond that. I hit the roof of the cafeteria during the game with a home run ....Only wish i had it on film. Now-- i have been delegated to hitting softballs and gimping around the bases.
  • Options
    VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭
    Only played golf above the Little League level. I was #5 of 8 on my HS team and #2 on my college team (improved my handicap from a 15 to a 8 between Jr. year in HS and So. year in college). Highlights were few and far between in NCAA DIII golf but I remember making 4 birdies in a row including holing out a chip from 40 yards in a match against Roger Williams once. I made the turn +1 though (had a triple in there if I recall correctly). Led the team to a win in that one.

I do remember striking out all 9 guys I faced in a Little League game at 12 years old.

This thread is making me feel pathetic LOL image
  • Options
    nightcrawlernightcrawler Posts: 5,110 ✭✭
    Once I had the puck all alone, I was goin down the ice... and I didn't score.

That's how I remember for sure... that I never scored.

Edit to add: Not even once.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    at age 9 i was the teams's Scrappy Lead-Off Guy, batted from both sides (of the plate!), hit a whopping .357 and helped my team capture the Barrington Parks & Recreation league title after finishing the season 9-5, our team, the Royals defeated the Phillies, the regular season champs at 11-3 and their pitcher, the Mighty Mark Friedman when our top slugger Joel Kratchman hit a game-winning GRAND SLAM! image

at age 11 i was starting shortstop for the Orioles and the league MVP. how???????? we finished 1 AND 11. image

by High School i had turned to the harder stuff, like football.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once went 7 for 7 as Marlboro Tire defeated the Rotary Club 40-1 in little league. That was probably my peak. I used to enjoy the snow cone after the game as much as the game itself.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My big highlight playing high school football was tackling the quarterback in the end zone for a safety - that was pretty cool scoring some defensive points for the team.

Threw a 2 hitter one time in little league - I felt like Koufax out there. LOL

Placed third in a pool tournament up at Penn State - couldn't believe I got beat...goes to show you there's always somebody better than you out there it seems.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Averaged over 25 points per game in high school basketball. Scored over 2,500 points in 4 years. I scored over 40 points in 4 straight games. Set a school record with 7 three pointers in one game.

I dunked it during warmups my senior year. I was a 5'11" and 165 lbs. Too bad that I've gained 50 lbs since 1993. I can still shoot, but I have slowed down A BUNCH.

Shane

• Options
    Great thread!
    Highlights: Hit three 3 pointers in 49 seconds in one game, Set a school record for most three pointers in a season (83) and most in a game (10)

Lowlights: Could not do anything accept hit a jumper and could not play defense.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    In fast pitch softball I have won over 350 games while losing a little over 200.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    I only played golf after my freshman year in high school.

Highlights: Making it to state my junior year. I broke 80 for the first time at districts (finished w/ a 78 and tied for 5th) to qualify.
    Lowlights: State my junior year. Followed up districts by looking like a first time golfer. Shot in the 100's both days and finished second to last. I'm pretty sure I subconsiously sucked on purpose my senior year so I wouldn't have to go back. The weekend after districts I shot a front 9 score of 33 with a hole in one on my home course.

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • Options

Funny stuff:

Baseball---About a 300 hitter but my highlight was only striking out 1 time in all 4 years the one time was lookin on a curve that could have hit my chest. Seconds later I was ejected. Not a good thing. Then played three and a third years at second without an error. Only to be moved to short for the remainder of the year and leading the team in errors and setting the school record.image Another bright move by my father who was the coach.

High school golf:

Probably one of the better talents in the area but I was a head case and golf season was during hunting season which came first. The night before my senior conference match I fell asleep at the wheel hitting an oak tree at 50 and actually watched my car explode after getting out and walking to the nearest house. All 3 of my sets of clubs were lost. I played the following day and finished 6th out of 60 players not a good day.

All I can say is the guy in the sky was looking over me that night and Im very glad to still be on the planet.

So a week later is the regionals and vowed to finish the year on a good note. I shot 1 over in 45 degree weather and won the whole shot beating 8 players that were fullrides to D-1 schools. Thats about my only claim to fame it was alot of working leading up to, think I played 45 holes a day.

Basketball

Highnote sheffler who played for purdue and was a horse. Playing him in highschool he was a center and I was point. He liked high post so we played 2-3zone and I was assigned to rattle his cage all 150lbs of me. Well we held him to 12 pts and he fouled out in the 3 I drew 3 offensives out of him. My chin is still not right after that game his elbows.
  • Options
    Don't remember my stats either but was a 3-time Shreveport Little League All Star. Only person to ever hit a HR over the fence at AC Steere park which was the main park used then.

Quit playing in 8th grade when my coach told me I was too small for 3rd base. All I heard was "You're too small". In a small bit of irony, that coach now coaches his son in the same Little League division as my son's team which I am the coach. His son is the smallest kid on the team. We beat them last Friday 12-2. My son was the starting pitcher. He struck out 5 of the 7 batters he faced in 2 innings including the aforementioned coaches son.
  • Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I played one year of little league and sucked. No hits and lots of strikeouts. I, however, became a very good softball player as the years progressed. Our school had a fence in right field that could be reached with a good hit and you got good schoolyard cred when you could hit the ball over the fence into the street... especially for us right handers. I became adept at hitting balls to right field!

Played high school golf and made the LA city finals... as a team. As an individual I was not very good and was in the last foursome of the day (near last place) after one day. Became a better golfer as an adult.

Played soccer (AYSO) for about 10 years and made the all-star team once. Always above average but never great.

I played a ton of pick up basketball as a kid but never great. I peaked after college. Scored 32 in a city league game a few years ago (age 38 or so) and am average 14 a game this season.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    I rushed for 4 TDs in my HS Championship game.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    Not much glory in my career:
      Made the Little League all-star team one year. Baseball would have been my game, but there was no more baseball in my hometown after Little League.
      Took 2nd in Punt, Pass, and Kick one year, losing by 1/2 foot. (I first kicked in street shoes and was in 3rd place. Somebody's mom thought my hard shoes had given me an advantage, so I had to kick over in somebody else's tennis shoes. I did better in the tennies and took 2nd instead.)
      Won our middle school spelling bee in 7th grade. The winning word: parallel.
      Had the second-highest average in my bowling league one year, with 178.
      Did a couple of century rides on my bicycle.
      Hit 14 home runs in softball one season, in about 40 games.
      Was still playing softball last year, at 48. Didn't get hurt.
    I like Post25's 3-pointers!
  • Options

<< <i>I rushed for 4 TDs in my HS Championship game.

image >>

Polk High School?
  • Options
    bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭
    Played little league for many years. I never made the all star team as it always seemed to be the same guys elected every year. Had a few memorable years...Helped our team make the playoffs one year. Didn't play high school ball as I started getting into race cars around 17 or 18.

I drag raced for over 10 years and ran in the professional classes in a series based on fastest street cars.
    Highlights: Top 5 in 4 of my last 5 years
    One of the first small block Chevy street cars with dot tires to go in the 8's in the 1/4 mile and one of the fastest with no wheelie bars for many years. Eventually went low 8's on a 10" street tire and no wheelie bars.
    First small block Chevy nitrous cars to go in the 7's in the Outlaw 10.5 class out west. Did it in a Chevy S-10 truck.

Started riding road bicycles in 03 and hit over 5000 miles several times over the years. I haven't ridden since last year as I had to sell all of my bikes when I was out of work last year.

Other key stats:
    1 wife
    1 son (will be 4 next month)
    1 daughter (7 months old)
    1 movie credit
    I worked on over 20 major movies and too many tv shows to think of.
    As of today I will have 2 attorney's under retainer. One for workers comp and one for a personal matter. image

• Options
    Nice stats xbaggy. Our hoops league went on-line this year. I love checking the stats. image
  • Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    Played alot of baseball until the age of 17. Hit some homers and generally played pretty good. Then gave it all up for girls and cars!!

I can say that I did hit a few home runs in Wrigley Field. These were dingers hit directly into the left field bleachers with no wind assistance!! I can't tell you how good that felt to get ahold of one and watch it land in the bleachers!

The background is I used to work in the front office for the Cubs and back in the day we would have softball and baseball games against some of the other front office teams in town. I had a few chances to hit from the actual home plate and somebody from the White Sox front office grooved a fat pitch to me and I got all of it and drove it into the left field bleachers. I dont care if there were only 40 people in the place that day, the roar from the crowd was deafening as I rounded the bases! image
    I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    Since someone brought up bowling,

I was a PBA member for one year when I was 19. Cashed in every event I entered accept one.

Set local association high average record in 2001 at 232 with a torn ACL. Had arthroscopic surgery to repair damage and quit for 5 years. A friend beat my record in 2006 with a 233 average. That was enough to motivate me into returning last year. Averaged 234. image
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    Played football, basketball and track in high school.
    Played football and basketball on the small college level.
    Now I am a professional rec-league basketball player.
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭
    I'm only 5'5" and about 150 lbs, but I played in a backyard league from 18 until around 26 (I'm 35 now). I played mostly safety, WR and QB and could throw fairly well given my size. I threw 100+ TD's over that time and the one I'll never forget is when the WR broke coverage around 10 yards down field and was running a post from right to left down the field. The safety was caught covering the TE across the middle and I threw the tighest, most beautiful spiral that you had ever seen. The WR caught the ball around 40 yards downfield over his left shoulder in stride. It was probably my greatest moment playing sports... (besides when I tackled a guy weighing 220 lbs, stripped the ball and recovered it...that was pretty cool also).

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭
    bagged a dozen babes ?

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    DaddyRichDaddyRich Posts: 241 ✭✭
    Played league ball religiously from 7-17 and was on 8 losing teams. Ouch. Although I was a fair-to-middling hitter, no home runs over the fences but had a few singles that were followed by 3 throwing errors. image I was a very good pitcher and had no-hitters in Little League and Pony League (big deal, I know) and really gave it all up when I lost interest in school and everything else but chasing the ladies. It's great to see all these here, I am grateful to the original poster - it's fun to think of those times.
    Just glad to be here with everyone.
  • Options
    bagged a dozen babes ?

Let's not go there.
  • Options

<< <i>bagged a dozen babes ? >>

I beat that in high school.
  • Options
    123Slider123Slider Posts: 851 ✭✭
    For me, what is quickly becoming a long time ago.

My Stats
    The best pitch to start a hitter off with is always strike one.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Captain of the varsity Tennis team my junior and senior years.

Most accomplishments are from bowling

300 games - 12
    299 games - 5
    298 games - 2
    290 games - 1
    800 series - 3

24 seperate association championships Dickson/Nashville/Knoxville bowling association

State record holder of 2 state records
    Local Association record holder 2-Nashville Bowling Association/3 Dickson Bowling Association

3 Terms association president
    2 terms association director

Captain-University of Tennessee bowling team 1987-1989

7 year Pba member since 2002
    29 Regional tournaments (21 cashes) winnings of $10, 920
    1 National Tournament (1 cash) winnings $1,000 2002 Odor-Eaters Championships, Louisville KY

Oh and won the 1985 Tennessee State Chess Championships (novice division)

Getting old really sux
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    DoctorKDoctorK Posts: 867 ✭✭✭
    As the 2 time defending champs in Adult Wiffle Ball League I managed to bat .750 6 HR 20 Runs and 18 RBI in our 10 game season last year. Our team, Crown Royals, has is 18-2 over the past 2 regular seasons and 10-1 in the post season (double elimination).

I am no sure if that counts but is sure is sweet to me.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Captain of the varsity Tennis team my junior and senior years.

Most accomplishments are from bowling

300 games - 12
    299 games - 5
    298 games - 2
    290 games - 1
    800 series - 3

24 seperate association championships Dickson/Nashville/Knoxville bowling association

State record holder of 2 state records
    Local Association record holder 2-Nashville Bowling Association/3 Dickson Bowling Association

3 Terms association president
    2 terms association director

Captain-University of Tennessee bowling team 1987-1989

7 year Pba member since 2002
    29 Regional tournaments (21 cashes) winnings of $10, 920
    1 National Tournament (1 cash) winnings $1,000 2002 Odor-Eaters Championships, Louisville KY

Oh and won the 1985 Tennessee State Chess Championships (novice division)

Getting old really sux >>

Those are incredible numbers. I only have one 300, zero 800's.... and I'm lefthanded.

I'm sure you're up to date on new equipment, but FWIW I recently bought a pearl Cell and that ball, imo, is the absolute bomb. It's by far the hardest hitting rock I've ever owned.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't remember my numbers but I do swing some major wood.

As far as baseball goes, I only played up until 8th grade.
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    As an offensive lineman, there weren't many stats, but I did get 3 special teams tackles in my final game. Sectional playoff game against the eventual state champion, the guy who was supposed to block me on punt team was probably the softest guy I'd ever gone against. I pretty much had a free sprint at the returner as soon as the ball was snapped. You'd think after the first two hits (which were pretty much at full stride as he caught the ball) he'd start calling for a fair catch, but he let me have the 3rd shot as well.

And one time I got lazy and got beat for a safety on the last play of a game that we won 48-2. So I guess I scored 2 points as well.
    Travis
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm...

- threw a no-hitter in widget (basically Little League) and lost. 3-2. When three runs scored on a popup to second on the last out of the game.

- couldn't hit worth a lick in widget but did steal home once, which was cool

- varsity tennis in high school, captain, and played #1 singles. Only played #1 because our school sucked. Was a legit #3 or #4 at most schools so I got crushed a lot. No real accomplishments other than getting screwed out of the city championship my senior year image

- varsity swimming in high school my senior year; wasn't any good but did manage a handful of 3rd place finishes in races

- slow pitch softball several years. Have no pop but routinely hit .700 or .750. Best game was a couple years ago where I had a HR (inside-the-park) and double in the same game. 5 RBIs, 2 oxygen masks image Batted 1.000 last year in 4 or 5 games before tearing up my knee.

- 2 years as freshman baseball coach, winning record both years, won division the second year

- 2 years as freshman football coach, 3-5 one year, 2-6 the other

So, there ya go.

Tabe
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't remember my numbers but I do swing some major wood.

As far as baseball goes, I only played up until 8th grade. >>

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    I'm sure you're up to date on new equipment, but FWIW I recently bought a pearl Cell and that ball, imo, is the absolute bomb. It's by far the hardest hitting rock I've ever owned. >>

Honestly I do not buy a lot of equipment, but I do have a few buddies on staff with Ebonite who share some of their goodies with me, so I have alot of Ebonite equipment. Some of the more recent favorites of mine are the Gamebreaker, the Raw Anger and the Infinite One. All time, I have to say that the best ball I have ever used is the Track Critical Mass. I actually own 3 15# undrilled and 3 drilled. Have been offered upwards of $400 each for the undrilled ones. In today's scoring environment, balls with a lower RG (technical term) seem to have the best consistency across most conditions.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    I made some money off my athletic talents - hustling pool. LOL
  • Options
    NowPanicNowPanic Posts: 128 ✭✭
    Wiffle Ball Champ - 2002 - YMCA - at the age of 26. Retired 2004.
    If I could make a baseball dance like I can a wiffle ball...................
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,782 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baseball- Last year of Little League I hit 3 Hr's in my first three AB's and then went the entire season without hitting another.

Football- Never scored a TD as a RB, Almost recovered a fumble as an outside LB and ran it back for a TD ( I saw the Goaline ) however when I went to pick the ball up I kicked it out of bounds.

Wrestling- Senior Year I pinned the Captain of our wrestling team after about a 10 minute match ( I never wrestled before )

Basketball- All thumbs

Hockey-All Ankles and knees & elbows ( on Ice )

Beer League Softball- 2004 I hit 51 HR's in 35 games ( Discovered the composite Mikan bat )

I regret EVERY single day not being a stud High School Running Back.

• Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    GREAT THREAD!

I hit my first HR when I was 11. We lost!
    When I was 12 I hit 4 HR and was second in the league to some kid that hit 17.

I've seen both of my kids each hit a home run which was awesome. My oldest who is now 18 hit a grand slam in a city tournament.
    My youngest hit a 3 Run HR on the day I spoke to my Mom for the last time. I think there was some divine intervention on that one.

Now we have a work basketball league and we ended the regular season in 1st place. I am the second oldest at 44. We also have a the oldest who's 45.
    I am a big dude and pretty slow but I can hit from 3 point land and am 10/18 so far this year. I also love clogging up the paint for the other team's big man.
  • Options
    I struck out Todd Walker in little league. He sucked at baseball when he was 11.
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Congrats LSU but I don't know about that avatar! image
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>Congrats LSU but I don't know about that avatar! image >>

O...........M...................................G imageimage