Home U.S. Coin Forum

If Choosey Mothers choose Jiff, what do Choosey Collectors choose??

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just for fun, let's assume we're at a regional coin show with about 100 tables and a good mix of dealers from not only the region where the show's held but from around the country. Your task at the show is to find a nice, brilliant 1932-D Washington Quarter graded MS61 and you have a range of raw and slabbed choices of same graded coins, all identically priced: an old style ANACS, a new style ANACS, an ACG, an ICG, an NGC, an NTC, a PCI, a PCGS, a raw coin in a dealers showcase, a raw coin that a dealer shows you internet pictures of on his laptop and a SEGS.

What would your "batting order" be if you'd seen all the choices and then proceeded to close the deal???

Al H.

Comments

• Old Anacs slab...

bar none

( you forgot to put in an old rattler PCGS), which could change my mind....
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i only wanted to leave 10 choices.
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'd probably pick the nicest looking coin image
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would buy the coin not the holder and you are there to see all the coins. If sight unseen my order of trust would be:

PCGS
    old anacs
    new anacs
    NGC

the rest is probably junk.

JMHO
  • BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    1. PCGS OGH's
    2. ANACS old white slabs (distant second)

that's about it for me. I don't know why, but I love the PCGS OGH's. The rattlers and new blue slabs are OK.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    I would buy the coin not the holder......................

that would only be a choice you could use with the raw coins, with the others you'd have to buy THE COIN AND THE HOLDER.

the sole point of this excercise is to explore the subtle nuances of what can be seen through the plastic, the plastic of a TPG capsule or the plastic of a flip which contains the raw coin(the exception being the online photograph where we are further hampered). it's sort of akin to viewing Proof coins still in either the original packaging or Capital type holders where we must render judgement based on experience. with an encapsulated coin, that experience is often learned similarly through trial and error. from the few objective answers thus far, it's clear that some members have learned to trust a particular service or era for a particular service.

add to all that the fact that almost without exception a coin show provides perhaps the worst lighting for viewing coins. it is difficult at best, many has been the time when i saw a different coin once i got home and viewed it under "familiar" lighting. with that in mind, which of the listed choices would you feel most confident in making??
  • tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    PCGS
    NGC
    old ANACS

Should the above be sold, all the rest is a crapshoot
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭
    I like Skippy.
  • I would judge each coin on it's own merits.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Creamy or extra chunky?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CAC?
  • hammered54hammered54 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭
    a 61 eh, hell with the plastic you get to see them all so buy the one you like..
    Successful Transactions.
    Barrytrot(2),Stupid,Savoyspecial,docq,ecoinquest, halfhunter,snman,Coll3ctor.
    wondercoin. Blue594. internetjunky.
    keepdachange. Scrapman1077.Ahrensdad, mrmom, mygrandeoso, blu62vette, Clackamas,giorgio11, adriana, cucamongacoin,
  • 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS
    NGC
    SEGS - maybe
    the rest would be probably not
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭

<< <i>What would your "batting order" be if you'd seen all the choices and then proceeded to close the deal??? >>

The one I liked the most (aside from maybe the internet picture one).
  • dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd be looking for the POP/1 61 1898-S Quarter for $430 in PCGS instead of the POP/42 1932-D Quarter for $1600 but that's another matter.image

PCGS
    NGC
    Old ANACS

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Choosey Mothers choose Jiff, what do Choosey Collectors choose?? This...

• MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    I'd pick the raw one if it was cheaper than the others (which they often are) and I got to examine it closely to make sure it wasn't a problem coin. Of course I'm making assumptions here such as all the coins have the same eye appeal and that the raw one is cheaper. I might get it slabbed afterwards though, probably in a PCGS slab unless I was buying it for an album, if that helps answer your question though.
  • MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    I reread your post and noticed you said they were all the same price. In that case I'd try and talk the raw coins dealer down in price saying that I could get the same coin slabbed for the same price image
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the PCI slab the early type with the green label?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    PCGS
    Old Anacs
    NGC
    Segs
    Raw Coin in the showcase

imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
    close to my confidence list. i don't think some of the replies considered the number of counterfiets out there for this issue.
  • RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608
    Same price?

1) PCGS
    2) NGC
    3) ANACS
    4) the rest

Why? Resale value, ease of resale. If a person walks the coin around the floor, and coins being approximately equal in appearance, a person will get more offers, higher offers for a coin in a PCGS holder. The reality is that while dealers often ask similar retail prices for all holders, their offers often vary widely, and PCGS is at the top.

The other reality is that rarely will all those coins be the same bottom line price. While the ask might be the same hoping for a fish, most dealers paid less for the other coins and will sell them for less.
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like Skippy.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I like Skippy. >>

Who's Skippy and does he know that you have a crush on him?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Choosey collectors choose rips.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file