Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Lincoln Variety Enthusiasts- Two 44-D RPM's received this week.

bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
These are the RPM 2 and 7 received this week. The #7 just holdered MS65RD and the other is a strong 65RD in an ANACS holder. The 7 reminds me of the 43 D/D Rpm 1. Has anyone seen the FS-504 (RPM 7) before? How many are out there? Shag

imageimage
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the first photo I see the doubling. Explain what I'm looking for in the 2nd photo? Have not studied the error coins that much. Thanks!
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    dbemikedbemike Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    PonyPullerPonyPuller Posts: 134 ✭✭
    Shag,

I found 4 of the 1944-D D/D FS-021.11 coins a few years ago in a collection I received from my grandfather. They were raw, and unattributed at the time.

They originally were graded by NGC. I then crossed 3 to PCGS as Cert. Nos. 10080424, 425, and 426.

I no longer own the MS64RD and MS65RD coins, and the MS66RD is currently in the hands of PCGS to have the label updated to the new FS numbering system instead of showing as a mint error. I'll post a photo when I get it back in a few weeks.

- Mark
  • Options
    Follow-up to my previous post,

There was a second set of these coins (44 D/D FS 021.11) which I identified in the collection from my grandfather, and had submitted directly to PCGS.

These were Cert. Nos. 09751694, ..95, ..96, and ..97. (Submission No. 3441219).

The first set was from Submission No. 34565455.

So, from my total submissions, that should show at least 3 coins in MS64RD, 3 coins in MS65RD, and 1 coin in MS66RD in the PCGS population. Some are listed as coin No. E2725, which is a mint-error listing, not a variety attribution.

- Mark
  • Options
    Mark
    The 694 photoed above is the one I got from you also.

Thanks again
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike, yep that's the one!

Finding these coins is what started my interest in hunting for Lincoln RPMs and varieties.

Now if I could only find some more nice old raw collections to search through... image

- Mark

Oh, and a side note.. since all 7 of these coins were found raw in a single collection, it might be of interest to note that the collection came from North-central Indiana, and was probably collected in the late 1940's - 1950's, and untouched since that time. I've read that sometimes error / variety coins have a tendency to be tied to a general geographic area of the original release, so that might be an area to look for more of them if anyone is searching old collections from that region.
  • Options
    I found this one in this raw set I purchased
    Pop 2/0

This one was ANACS 63RD
    Pop 1/2
  • Options
    Mike, those are some nice variety coins. The cracked slab photo made me chuckle.

- Mark
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool find. I found 160 of this one and still counting.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to all for the response.
    Mark, It is a small world indeed. Went back and looked at the original cert. # before getting in the attributed holder it now resides. The original cert. was 10080425. So it seems Mike and I have two of the 65RDs. Will the 66
    be for sale?
    Mike, Great pics of your varieties. I've yet to have one of the 42 S/S in hand. What part of the country do you live
    in? Will we cross paths at a show? I know I have posted this one before, but I am proud of it and want to share it again. Shag

PCGS MS64RB FS-013.79
  • Options
    Shag,

That's a nice '34. I've hunted for that one, but never found it. Isn't the total population for that one very very low?

No current plans on selling the '44 D/D MS66RD, as I'm rather sentimental about it, since these were the first variety coins I found on my own. image

I'm glad to see that the others have ended up with serious collectors. One of the MS64RD ones which I sold a few years ago ended up being relisted on ebay immediately by the purchaser at a hefty markup over my sale price, and I have no idea where it, or most of the others I've sold have ultimately ended up.

- Mark

• Options
    Thanks for sharing the 1934, it appears to be definitely recognizable if one is spotted.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file