Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Who Likes War Nickels?

2»

Comments

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimageimage

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    SUMORADASUMORADA Posts: 4,797
  • Options
    DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856
    imageimage
    aka Dan
  • Options
    Currently working on a set of these. I think I have 7 of the 11. Couple nice toners. Nice well defined set that is easy and fun to complete I think.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like 'em.
    Hopefully going out to the B&M to bag one tomorrow.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    OneCentOneCent Posts: 3,561

<< <i>...Nice well defined set that is easy and fun to complete I think. >>

imageGreat set for the young and old alike!!!

I'm going to fill this capital plastics holder that I got from by B&M dealer for $1. I'm being very selective...looking for nice color, good luster and very few marks. Steps would be a plus.

Got one of the 11 downimage. I wonder why the Denver mint did not produce a 1942 nickel?

imageimage
    Collector of Early 20th Century U.S. Coinage.
    ANA Member R-3147111
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The OP images look much like several I have. They were stored in a dansco for many years.
    This one is not one of those.
    Larry

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>imageimageimageimage >>

WOW, that's a beauty!image
  • Options
    Blame it on my photography skills. image

Leo

• Options
    I found a 45 S in spare change yesterday. Question: Why is the mint mark not on the side like the rest of the nickles?
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was moved above the dome to indicate the change to silver content.
    Larry

• Options

<< <i>It was moved above the dome to indicate the change to silver content. >>

Do you think the larger mint mark makes for easier sorting come melting time?

Leo

• Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭

<< <i>just something about that large MM >>

Yeah, that gets to me too. I love them.
  • Options
    PCcoinsPCcoins Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭
    I think this one qualities?

imageimage

imageimage
    "It is what it is."
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me to. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>Do you think the larger mint mark makes for easier sorting come melting time?<<

It helps a little, but when I was picking them out of rolls in the 1960's I could usually tell by the edges, as they were much darker than the edges on other nickels.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

PCGS MS66FS

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    I love all Jeffersons too. I have a great proof Jeff with a bluish tone that is really cool. If I had a computer pic I would post it.

Chris
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Very nice toning!

Leo

• Options
    >>I have a great proof Jeff with a bluish tone that is really cool. If I had a computer pic I would post it.<<

Speaking of proofs, I'm surprised that war nickel proofs are so reasonably priced, considering that only one date is available for the type (1942-P) and the total mintage is less than 28,000.

• Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    There are very nice sets of the 11 silver War Dates already in holders in Gem BU condition for around $125 (there maybe a mix of 64/65/66 in the really good sets, expect to pay dearly for all MS-66's and the uber grade 67's.

I picked mine out of individual coins from here and there, it was a lot of fun marking them off the list, finding the right Capitol Plastics holder, getting them in there straight and admiring the finished collection.

Raw coin collecting in it's finest.

Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315
    imageimage
    imageimage

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭

• Options

<< <i>>>I have a great proof Jeff with a bluish tone that is really cool. If I had a computer pic I would post it.<<

Speaking of proofs, I'm surprised that war nickel proofs are so reasonably priced, considering that only one date is available for the type (1942-P) and the total mintage is less than 28,000. >>

We need to keep in mind that there are a limited number of Mint State and Proof grades available to rank the coins. And for the top grades there are really only 2-3 grades to file a high quality coin, MS66, PF67 or MS68. We can cancel out the MS69 and MS70 grades for the business strikes and the micro chance for any of the proofs to ever grade that high. The values in any price list are for your average quality coins. ie; 1 in 200 will grade MS65, 1 in 500 PF66 and so on. But if you have that 1 in 1,000,000 coin or 1 in 5000 proof, for instance, the 1944-D I posted earlier, the quality of that coin far exceeds the $160 value PCGS has listed for the average MS67 coin. I'm basically stuck with the coin until someone craps their pants upon seeing it. But if they really want to be known as having the ultimate coins in their set, they best be thinking way above any publish price guide. The prices for such coins are never figured into the average prices because there are very few in existence. Same goes for the proofs. the deepest mirrors, the thickest white frosting, the greatest contrast will fall into that ultimate catagory. Those coins are not in the price guides unless they are well known.

Leo

• Options
    When I mentioned war nickel proofs being reasonably priced, I was referring to the typical PGGS and NGC PR65 and PR66 specimens readily available for $90 to $150. I think this is a good value for a 20th century one-year-type proof coin in a popular series, with a proof mintage under 28,000.

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do!

mirabela
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I guess I still do

• Options
    Looks similar to mine.
    imageimage

Leo

• Options
    Frankly, I've never seen a circ. war nickel that I liked.

JT
    It is health that is real wealth, not pieces of gold and silver. Gandhi.

I collect all 20th century series except gold including those series that ended there.
  • Options
    >>Frankly, I've never seen a circ. war nickel that I liked.<<

I like any circ. war nickel I find in change! image

• Options
    <<I know that they're common, but quite a few of the uncirculated examples have great eye appeal and color. I would surmise that the silver included in the metallic compostion of the coin contributed to the coloration/toning.>>

I think the manganese contributed also.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file