Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

On the bourse, is it unusual to walk from table to table looking for the best price on generics?

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
When I was in Baltimore last week, I was interested in buying some silver dollars just for kicks. I was not looking for anything excessively rare, but just some raw coins (circulated).

You can’t swing a dead cat at the Baltimore show without hitting generic gold, generic silver, or a dealer eating a hot dog. As I went from table to table, I asked how much the raw silver dollars were. I found a difference of a few dollars between dealers. Of course, a few dollars is not going to kill anyone, but because we are in a numismatic recession, every dollar saved is an extra dollar in my pocket.

I typically don’t dirty my hands with generics, but I was curious if those who frequently buy generic coins go from table to table looking for the best price, or whether you assume that the prices are typically the same, and you just buy at the first table you stop at.
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are overpriced coins in every segment of the market. If you don't look for the best price, you're not exercising due diligence as a buyer.
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    You can’t swing a dead cat at the Baltimore show ...

These were on the grill at the food concession....
  • Options
    Very good question. In the past at local shows and at the few major ones I have attended, I too have noticed a small disperity in the prices of the afore mentioned. I'm usually not in the market for these items at shows either but what I do look for from time to time is rolls of so called BU silver dollars and when I do ask the availability and price of such I do find that there is a price disparity at the roll level that can vary anywhere from $10-$50. Of course there is always the quality factor to consider when purchasing rolls that are said to be BU however with the few purchases I have made, some from the bargain basement and some from the top dollar shelves, I find them comparable so I am willing to take a chance and save $10-50 dollars and go with the bargain basement sellers.
    Charter member of CA, Coinaholics Anonymous-6/7/2003
    Kewpie Doll award-10/29/2007
    Successful BST transactions with Coinboy and Wondercoin.
  • Options
    It's only unusual if you walk with a sashshay.
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I go to shows I look for generic post 1982 US gold commemoratives. I ask for a price on every one I see. It does not help much as most are overpriced in comparison to the deals I can get on ebay.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing is unusual in coins. It all makes sense before it makes dollars. The guy with a discriminating eye and negotiating skills will benefit the most. Generic or not. Big or small. Selection is key. Trading up is better than selling out, and cashing in on them is a continuum, if one does due diligence.

I hope this makes cents for someone.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You can’t swing a dead cat at the Baltimore show ...

These were on the grill at the food concession.... >>

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options

<< <i>Nothing is unusual in coins. It all makes sense before it makes dollars. The guy with a discriminating eye and negotiating skills will benefit the most. Generic or not. Big or small. Selection is key. Trading up is better than selling out, and cashing in on them is a continuum, if one does due diligence.

I hope this makes cents for someone. >>

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do....occasionally one that I had my eye will be gone by the time I get back around though image

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You can’t swing a dead cat at the Baltimore show ...

These were on the grill at the food concession.... >>

Now that's funnyimage

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rld14rld14 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭
    Why not?

I buy tons of generic stuff, circulated SLQs (I hoard 28-Ss), and cheap MS Morgans, I buy a lot of those for my Nephew, he's a YN and loves big, shiny "Really old" coins that are "Brand new" (His words image

Shopping around pays off, but I have found that I tend to gravitate to a handful of dealers myself.
    Bear's "Growl of Approval" award 10/09 & 3/10 | "YOU SUCK" - PonyExpress8|"F the doctors!" - homerunhall | I hate my car
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I typically don’t dirty my hands with generics, but I was curious if those who frequently buy generic coins go from table to table looking for the best price, or whether you assume that the prices are typically the same, and you just buy at the first table you stop at. >>

If you do your homework before you get to the show, you will be ahead of the game. Otherwise, let's say the first dealer you see has the best price. You then tour the rest of the bourse checking prices. Then you go back to the first dealer, and he is sold out of what you wanted to buy. If you had done your homework, you could determine whether the first dealer's price is a good one, if so, then buy from him/her and save yourself a lot of time.

It's like owning a stock. You will never be able to sell at the very top of the market, nor buy at the very bottom. But if you can be close to the top when selling and close to the bottom when buying, you'll do well.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    No, It is not unusual to look for the best price for any coin. If the coin is a super strong strike or has superb eye appeal I don't mind that its a little more than the rest.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file