Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2004 Platinum Proof 1/2 Ounce - Is It Unloved and Destined For a Fall?

7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
OK, do you guys think that this coin is headed lower and if so, how low? APMEX had one at 1395! I think it may head even for 1k - what do you think, and by this I mean in either OGP or 69 (what about the 70s?).

Some have seemed to say, and I concur that dispersion pattern for this may be a lot different than the '06Ws and later bits. In this the earlier piece may be like the Jackies in that flippers may not have got a hold of huge numbers so that more people had fewer coins??

Now that the '08Ws appear to blast the '04s mintage numbers that will put downward pressure on the earlier coins I would think but they may in fact be still harder to come by for some while until the later ones get (if ever) dispersed out..

Well, thes are all IMOs, obviously.
Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    Am guessing it'll be a few years before these recover. I'd love to see what these sets are going to be like 5-10 years from now. Meanwhile, it appears that many will be very difficult to collect. I'm certainly not seeing many of them--especially in OGP.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope you are right.

I'm holding in my hands, my three 1/2oz proofs I just got yesterday!!!! They all look pretty, clean and brightly mirrored. Should I send to PCGS????? image
  • Options
    bumanchubumanchu Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I hope you are right.

I'm holding in my hands, my three 1/2oz proofs I just got yesterday!!!! They all look pretty, clean and brightly mirrored. Should I send to PCGS????? image >>

No, silly, send them to me!
    And I ain't lying this time.
  • Options
    You know me, OGP...OK, that is pirated from a nasty old song about OPP and all..
    Goldbully - THREE 2004s?
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You know me, OGP...OK, that is pirated from a nasty old song about OPP and all..
    Goldbully - THREE 2004s? >>

I guess I should have clarified.....My three 1/2 oz coins are 2008-W....is that OK?? Sorry they are not 2004. image
  • Options
    Kept all of mine bought originally in OGP, but have bought a few "69s" of back dates as they cut prices a lot in the early 2000-2003 era.

I think it may be personal preference since an OGP coin is a guaranteed 69 (more or less) with shot at 70. Do you want to take the chance or even care to entomb it?
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From Florida Bill:

Here are the raw numbers....

The mint disclaimer is as follows: “These figures represent raw data for coins produced. It is possible that not all these coins were sold or available for sale. These figures could (and does) include pieces condemned as un-useable, quality control pieces and pieces packeged (which may or may not have sold)."

All the following is 2008:

1 oz. Plat proof: 5423
    ½ oz. Plat proof: 5637
    ¼ oz. Plat proof: 4884
    1/10 oz. Plat proof: 10,513

Who's the King??

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When all the dust settles, if FB's numbers are more correct than the numbers we had before, then the 04 $50 Plat have a MUCH lower mintage than 2008 $50. In fact, 08 would be along the lines of 05 - CLOSE TO A "COMMON" PROOF PLAT COIN!!

Geez - the excitement never ends!!

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    Unless I have lost my marbles the 1/4 2008 plat proof will be the king of all or at worst king of the 1/4 proofs.

4884 is the lowest number excluding the chance that many 2008 plat proofs were damaged in striking which I think is highly likely.

These numbers are total struck so are the highest possible amount. You have to add in defects, returns, melted coins, bad strikes or unsold inventory and that means they will likely be lower. Sales should be a more accurate number perhaps.
  • Options

<< <i>From Florida Bill:

The mint disclaimer is as follows: “These figures represent raw data for coins produced. It is possible that not all these coins were sold or available for sale. These figures could (and does) include pieces condemned as un-useable, quality control pieces and pieces packeged (which may or may not have sold)."

Who's the King??

Miles >>

Those are interesting numbers for 2008. That makes the 2008 dime proof a dog! That number is higher than 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004 and 2003.

The half comes in second place, but just barely ahead of the 2005 and you have to wonder how many 2005's survived the melting pot. It looks like only the ouncer and the quarter are winners.

Well, this is a wakeup call for those of us who loaded up on the 2008s.
    Successful BST transactions: clackamas, goldman86, alohagary, rodzm, bigmarty58, Hyperion, segoja, levinll, dmarks
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Unless I have lost my marbles the 1/4 2008 plat proof will be the king of all or at worst king of the 1/4 proofs.

4884 is the lowest number excluding the chance that many 2008 plat proofs were damaged in striking which I think is highly likely.

These numbers are total struck so are the highest possible amount. You have to add in defects, returns, melted coins, bad strikes or unsold inventory and that means they will likely be lower. Sales should be a more accurate number perhaps. >>

I agree with you those raw numbers are not even close to the reported numbers sold. And all the plat 08's were "sold out".

The last sales numbers posted in feb 09 show the 1/10th proof plat at 5650. Thats a huge difference from the raw numbers of 10,513.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Either one. I have the 04 1/2 ounce and the 08 1/4 ounce. There was a huge price drop for the 04 1/2 already after the spot of platinum fell from $2300/ounce. But I don't see it dropping any further since they will no longer make either and that seals the fact that these will be the keys for the series for those demoninations. However, no ones knows what the future mintages of 1 oz platinum proofs will be.
  • Options
    LokiLoki Posts: 898 ✭✭
    It seems the amount of existing ebay listings for proof 08 plats does not justify these production numbers. If indeed the 10ths are as high as indicated, one would think there would be many more for sale on the bay than what there is presently. I am guessing a bunch were deemed not acceptable for sale from mint quality control. Either that, or many of these were sold early on at the original mint issue price and the early buyers are holding on rather than selling for a loss.
  • Options
    AberlightAberlight Posts: 384 ✭✭

<< <i>From Florida Bill:

Who's the King??

Miles >>

WHERE DID YOU GET THESE NUMBERS??? THANKS
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>You know me, OGP...OK, that is pirated from a nasty old song about OPP and all..
    Goldbully - THREE 2004s? >>

I guess I should have clarified.....My three 1/2 oz coins are 2008-W....is that OK?? Sorry they are not 2004. image >>

Goldbully-

When did you order you 0.5 oz 2008 w plats? Congrats on getting them!!
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

<< <i>From Florida Bill:

Who's the King??

Miles >>

That's a BIG disclaimer (as has been discussed in deatil on another thread) - don't think that the above #s mean much.

The SALES numbers should represent the max as these are the total SALES reported by the US Mint. The final, audited numbers should only go down from there when retruns and cancelled backorders are factored in. Please explain how this is not correct if you're thinking otherwise. Thanks.
  • Options
    Hey, what would we have to write about if there was not a bit of controversy? I guess we will find out one day. What I can not figure out is why the relatively common '07 proof and RP prices still stay high; I mean if folks bought high and are waiting for a return of plat prices to 2200 they may be waiting a while. Flip them, I would think.

Maybe that '04 1/2 will still reign, but would not trade straight across regardless if the numbers on the '08s drop. Well, don't mind having both.

What I wonder is what will happen when this year we only have the one oz. proof.
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    sales figures are not the maximum possible extant coins,

the COINS STRUCK numbers as presented in the FOIA are the MAXIMUM amount of coins available.

of course, the final MINTAGE numbers are the official numbers we would like to see......it could be much less than the coins struck or even reported sales......given the disclaimer on the FOIA ##AND## the way the USM accounts for sales....
  • Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know of a situation where the Mint's reported sales numbers were LOWER (by more than a fraction) than the final official figures? I don't.

<< <i>Hey, what would we have to write about if there was not a bit of controversy? I guess we will find out one day. What I can not figure out is why the relatively common '07 proof and RP prices still stay high; >>

The RP's price is high, but it's so cool! I believe the .1 &.25 2007 proof number look very compelling... The below numbers are all final Mint numbers (other than all '08 & $50 '07 pr):

• Options

<< <i>sales figures are not the maximum possible extant coins,

the COINS STRUCK numbers as presented in the FOIA are the MAXIMUM amount of coins available.

of course, the final MINTAGE numbers are the official numbers we would like to see......it could be much less than the coins struck or even reported sales......given the disclaimer on the FOIA ##AND## the way the USM accounts for sales.... >>

Thanks 7over8-

I can appreciate what you're saying. I didn't word my question well.

I understand that the FOIA coins struck numbers are, by definition, the absolute max. number of coins produced. However, would the total sales numbers not represent the max. number of coins available for purchase in the case of discontinued issues such as the '08 plat UNCS and Proofs?

The difference between the FOIA and total sales numbers would therefore represent coins not sold for whatever reason (quality control, etc.). I would think that the final, audited numbers should be something less than the final sales numbers due to returns, canceled back orders, etc.

I also realize that, theoretically, The Mint could have another liquidation sale like they did at the end of last year, or something similar. However, as we know, there were no burnished or proof silver, gold or plat issues in that sale at all.

Thanks!!

• Options
    With all due respect,

I think the ONE indisputable fact that can be learned from the FOIA numbers is that the $10 2008 W Plats MS were over reported in sales. The amount reported for sales EXCEEDS the amount reported as struck.

Of all the issues in this report, that is the ONLY coin with more reported sales than actual struck coins.

Others have surprises on the upside....but this is the only “short-strike”, if you define such as sales exceeding actual coins struck.

Who knows how many were “wasted”? Previous years suggest something in the order of 15-20%, but we will have to wait a while for that information.

Or maybe not....I'll file another FOIA and request final “sales” of all the coins in the first request.

FloridaBill
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    Bill

Don't waste your time asking for final sales........

Ask for final MINTAGE.......as defined as COINS STRUCK less waste, quality control coins, etc etc etc. NET.

I agree that the $10 MS plat was over reported for sales.....but I don't know if i'd go as far as saying it was short struck. Although short struck could mean many different things to different people.

It may wind up that the $10 MS was sold to the extent of max coins available, that they were all good......I personally would beg to differ based on waste % from prior years.....
  • Options
    HalfStrikeHalfStrike Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    7/8 quote:

<< <i> I agree that the $10 MS plat was over reported for sales.....but I don't know if i'd go as far as saying it was short struck. >>

7/8 don't you remember saying they were short struck to me?image

linky

"Halfstrike -

Get your facts straight. We all dont live on the West Coast. You were quoting PST.

I'm not shifting anything. I still am a big fan of the 2008-w Plat Unc's, and they were short struck.
    "

7/8 you went so far as to say it earlier, so I guess you forgot again. image

And the 2008 were short struck?????

Not according to the report.

All 2006 w unc plat coins were struck in fewer numbers than the 2007 or 2008 for their respective denominations.

Now if you look within the 2008 w unc plats then the $10 is a smaller strike however they may have been better strikes that had few flawed coins. From the ones I received I have to say they were excellent strikes.

I can't say the same for 2006 or especially the 2007 however that is only my observations.

For now 2006 looks to be almost certainly the king of the plats, as some of us gathered from earlier sales. Both the sales reports and now the FOIA report suggests this. How many more reports do we need other than the audited final report?image

2006 w unc plats lowest sales

2006 w unc plats lowest strikes

Seems simple to me.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file