Home Sports Talk
Options

Fantasy baseball information/questions/answers

yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,243 ✭✭✭
Thought it might be productive to start a single thread regarding fantasy baseball.

I'll start. Manny Corpus vs Houston Street for the closing job in Colorado. Are Rockies committed to Street for the closers job or is this really a race? Anyone hear who they are leaning toward? I know Corpas has had an incredible spring but that doesnt always mean the job.

Also, who are your sleeper players?
Gardner from the Yankees beat out Melky for the CF job. He could give some average and SB if that is what you need. He might be at the bottom of the lineup instead of leading off (where I personally think he should be).

Also, Gregg beat out Marmol for the Cubs closer job.

So feel free to post questions...sometimes extra insight is good.

Comments

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Chris Ray will be the closer in Baltimore and Brandon Morrow will do the same in Seattle.

Mark Teahen will be a solid pickup as he will quickly be eligible at 2B and at 27, should be looking at 20 HR's, 85 RBI and a .290 AVG. That would put him in the top 5 2B (behind Utley, Pedroia, Kinsler, Phillips and even with Uggla).

Nelson Cruz will be a monster in Texas after finally getting over his quadruple A moniker.

Chris Carpenter (returning from surgery) and Jason Motte (closer) will be studs in St. Louis.

Bobby Abreu is still overlooked and disrespected in fantasy circles even though he's a lock 20-100-100-20-.300 and is a ROTO players dream! He'll be selected long after McClouth, Ellsbury, Upton and many others he will outperform.

Jarod Saltalamacchia will put up better numbers than Matt Weiters and Benji Molina this season.

Pablo Sandoval will be this year's Kevin Youkilis.

Ryan Howard will pop 45 HR's and the surprise will be that he'll hit over .280 this season.

Jhonny Peralta will lead all SS in HR's this season.

Andrew McCutchen, Gordon Beckham and Travis Snider are still not quite ready for prime time.

Erik Bedard might be the most overlooked fantasy pitcher in baseball after Chris Carpenter and Gavin Floyd.

Josh Hamilton, Hanley Ramirez and Grady Sizemore will be the biggest fantasy disappointments this season.

Kansas City will fight with Minnesota for the AL Central.
  • Options
    Corpas IS the closer for the Rockies. Jason Motte will be the Cardinals closer in 3 weeks. Alexei Ramirez will have a 30/30 season at a weak fantasy baseball position. Derek Jeter will be drafted in the 7th round or later in any league with 10+ teams and still have 160+ hits with a low K total. Kerry Wood will save 40+ games. Pedro Martinez will go undrafted in every fantasy league (except the one I picked him in) and get signed by the Dodgers prior to the All Star break and win 12 games in the second half with 100 K's. Arod will return in 3 weeks and be a complete dud. Horses that were given steroids and have an injury are always worthless afterwards. Not saying Arod is a horse but horses and humans have very similar recovery patterns. Justin Morneau can be had at 1B deep in the second round and his stats at the position will only be beaten by Pujols. Cameron Maybin can be had in about the 16th or later round and will steal 50+ bases and hit over .300. Jay Bruce and Joey Votto will be late round sleepers that are both 30+ potential HR guys.

I could go on but I feel no need to conitnue with my supeior baseball fantasy knowledge.
  • Options

<< <i>I could go on but I feel no need to conitnue with my supeior baseball fantasy knowledge. >>

You just have to figure out a way to beat me... And I'll take Teixeira's numbers over Morneau's when all is said and done.
  • Options
    " Cameron Maybin can be had in about the 16th or later round and will steal 50+ bases and hit over .300. Jay Bruce and Joey Votto will be late round sleepers that are both 30+ potential HR guys"

Maybin will not hit .300 this season; Bruce and Votto are not sleepers image
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xavier Nady, Jayson Werth can be had really late and I expect them both to have great years.
  • Options

<< <i>Xavier Nady, Jayson Werth can be had really late and I expect them both to have great years. >>

Sorry, but as a Yankees fan, I just don't see Nady putting up decent enough numbers to keep a FT spot in the OF. I can see him eventually splitting time with Swisher and even Cabrera getting some starts.

I hope I'm wrong, but there isn't a single Yankees OFer on any of my fantasy teams and there's a reason for that. Not even Johnny Damon...
  • Options

<< <i>You just have to figure out a way to beat me... And I'll take Teixeira's numbers over Morneau's when all is said and done. >>

Once again, Morneau can be had deep in the second round. I got him yesterday in the middle of the 3rd round. Obviously Pujols and teixeira were alrdeady gone. Pay attention, there will be a test later.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Xavier Nady, Jayson Werth can be had really late and I expect them both to have great years. >>

Sorry, but as a Yankees fan, I just don't see Nady putting up decent enough numbers to keep a FT spot in the OF. I can see him eventually splitting time with Swisher and even Cabrera getting some starts.

I hope I'm wrong, but there isn't a single Yankees OFer on any of my fantasy teams and there's a reason for that. Not even Johnny Damon... >>

Are you kidding me? Nady puts up 20+ Hr's and 80+ rbi's and between a .280-.300 average, Im glad everyone else in my league thought the same way.

Nady will be the most productive OF in New York this year- you heard it here first.
  • Options
    Paul:

<< <i>Are you kidding me? Nady puts up 20+ Hr's and 80+ rbi's and between a .280-.300 average, Im glad everyone else in my league thought the same way.

Nady will be the most productive OF in New York this year- you heard it here first. >>

Those numbers can be had by any myriad of OFers that went undrafted and should be a default for any corner OFer... Nady will finish behind the likes of Coco Crisp, David DeJesus, Mike Cameron and Jack Cust, all of whom I bet are still on your waiver wire. And I would expect Damon to significantly outscore him as well.

Bill:

<< <i>Once again, Morneau can be had deep in the second round. I got him yesterday in the middle of the 3rd round. Obviously Pujols and teixeira were alrdeady gone. Pay attention, there will be a test later. >>

My response was to your statement that Morneau's numbers would be second only to Pujols at 1B. I'll bet that he finishes no better than 6th behind the likes of Pujols, Miggy Cabrera, Teixeira, Ryan Howard, Prince Fielder, Berkman and Adrian Gonzalez and just ahead of Youkilis. I realize you drafted him after alt least four of them, but I doubt he'll outperform any of them. Especially with Mauer being doubtful for awhile.
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    I drafted Nady too.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    Scott,

My high value league that we drafted last night, I got Cabrera who is eligible in our league at first or third. Teixeira was the pick right before mine in the second round, I was salavating thinking about Miggy at 3rd and Tex at 1st. Ended up getting Morneau in the 3rd round. Took Johan Santana with my second round pick after Tex was stolen from me.
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>Scott,

My high value league that we drafted last night, I got Cabrera who is eligible in our league at first or third. Teixeira was the pick right before mine in the second round, I was salavating thinking about Miggy at 3rd and Tex at 1st. Ended up getting Morneau in the 3rd round. Took Johan Santana with my second round pick after Tex was stolen from me. >>

I'm hoping some of my predictions come true. I'm in a keeper league and just got done swapping Scherzer, Nelson Cruz, Iannetta, Morneau and Marmol for Ryan Howard, Markakis, Saltalamacchia and Price (as soon as they officially announced he was going to AAA) on Friday. Shipped Carlos Lee, Soriano and Zeigler out about a week ago for Weiters, Carpenter, Beltran and Soria. Luckily, it's a head-to-head points based league and AVG and K's don't count against hitters (I added Reynolds to man 3B while ARod is out). Pretty much rebuilt my entire team and went for some youth for later in the season.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Draft nothing but 'Stros and you'll blow away all competition.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    draft nothing but Astros and youll just BLOW image

p.s.
    Nady wont be a full time player this year, or so it is speculated.
  • Options

<< <i>Paul:

<< <i>Are you kidding me? Nady puts up 20+ Hr's and 80+ rbi's and between a .280-.300 average, Im glad everyone else in my league thought the same way.

Nady will be the most productive OF in New York this year- you heard it here first. >>

Those numbers can be had by any myriad of OFers that went undrafted and should be a default for any corner OFer... Nady will finish behind the likes of Coco Crisp, David DeJesus, Mike Cameron and Jack Cust, all of whom I bet are still on your waiver wire. And I would expect Damon to significantly outscore him as well.
    . >>

Scott you are correct that Dejesus, Crisp ect.. are still on the waiver wire, IN MY OPINION I believe Nady will do better with the lineup around him-especially if Arod returns near to his usual self. I am hearing Matsui is going to DH? That leaves Damon, and another-I cant remember his name- Miller maybe? along with Nady, Swisher and Melky Cabrera who will be shipped away to anyone that takes him or sent down to the minors, I believe Nady will end up with a starting position. If Im wrong, Im wrong.

• Options

<< <i>Scott you are correct that Dejesus, Crisp ect.. are still on the waiver wire, IN MY OPINION I believe Nady will do better with the lineup around him-especially if Arod returns near to his usual self. I am hearing Matsui is going to DH? That leaves Damon, and another-I cant remember his name- Miller maybe? along with Nady, Swisher and Melky Cabrera who will be shipped away to anyone that takes him or sent down to the minors, I believe Nady will end up with a starting position. If Im wrong, Im wrong. >>

Gardner is starting in CF, Damon in LF and Nady in RF. Cabrera and Swisher will be subbing. Nady's a solid middle of the road OFer, but I don't see him repeating the numbers he put up last year in Pittsburgh. I'd expect more of the numbers he put up after he arrived in NY just porjected out over a full season (20-85-80-.270) and with those numbers, there are plenty of other OFers that can give you the same thing, but with more SBs.

There's nothing wrong with Nady, but many are excited about the hot numbers he put up in the first half last season. Last season was the only time he's hit more than 20 HR's in a season and hit over .300. It's not like he's a prospect or under 30 years old. You could do a lot worse.
  • Options
    I see Pauls point with Nady. He certainly has the hitting tools. He knows he needs a big year with the Yankees and the Yankees need him to have a better than average season. With the Yankees offense, he will have the opportunities. I dont have him on my team but he is on my watch list.

What does everyone think Giambi will do for the A's? I know he hasnt had the greatest of springs but that doesnt matter much. Can the A's afford NOT to have Giambi DH every day? Giambi is capable of 30+ HR and 100+ RBIs. I did take him very late in my draft thinking that the A's will keep him in the lineup for 130+ games.
  • Options
    Wow, big news....Houston Street gets the closer job over Manny Corpas! Corpas will be the set up man. Interesting move by the Rockies.
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    The job is Street's for now. Until he blows some, then Hurdle will give it to
    Corpse, then when he blows a couple, it goes back to Street, then when Street
    blows......

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    I hope Motte can Close will for the Cardinals. he could be a nice pick up of the waiver wire.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I hope I'm wrong, but there isn't a single Yankees OFer on any of my fantasy teams and there's a reason for that. Not even Johnny Damon... >>

Are you kidding me? Nady puts up 20+ Hr's and 80+ rbi's and between a .280-.300 average, Im glad everyone else in my league thought the same way.

Guess I was 100% wrong!