Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Well I figured out how the USPS is solving their budget deficit...

By not paying or severely diminishing insurance claims.

I sold a coin back in December 2008 for $100 + S&H on eBay. I insured it for the full purchase price and it never arrived. The buyer was very cooperative and we waited the mandatory waiting period for filing a claim. I got a statement from him saying that it had never arrived, and indeed delivery confirmation shows no delivery.

I filed an insurance claim on February 5. I provided the USPS with the printout of the eBay auction page and the PayPal payment page proving the cost of the coin. The postal supervisor said that it was a pretty cut and dried case and that I should receive a check in about 2 weeks.

I refunded the buyer the $100 + S&H.

I finally received the check yesterday... for $15 + postage. They devalued my claim from $100 down to $15.

I called up and asked why. Their explanation is that because it is a coin, you don't get full value. They get to decide what your merchandise is worth when paying the claim.

Needless to say I am absolutely steamed about this, and not to be overly dramatic, this screams FRAUD to me.

It's not like I was estimating current value for merchandise purchased a long time ago. The costs in question are current and quantifiable.

So watch yourself folks... apparently nothing is safe.

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Maybe they use the grey sheet image
  • Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    File suit against the local Postmaster in small claims court.

Ray
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd get your congressman involved. I know they don't like answering congressionals.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Late last year, I had $2,500 worth of 90% silver coming to me and only an empty box showed up. I received a check for the full amount within 30 days. Also a bust quarter I mailed to an ebay buyer vanished and they paid out the entire $200...took them 6 weeks on that one. However, I noted the items as "collectibles" not coins
  • Options
    JMWJMW Posts: 497
    I bought and received an 1897-O Barber half in the mail. When I opened the package the ICG holder was in about five different peices. The guy at the post office said they would probably pay me "for a new plastic holder" if I wanted to leave the coin with them. The coin did turn out to be OK, but I'm still waiting for the reimbursement for postage and reholdering fees.

• Options
    al410al410 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭✭
    I had a postal clerk tell me once that money was insured up to face value only, I asked him the point of buying insurance on it since it was a collectible and he said they did not insure coins as collectibles. Yet another time a postal clerk told me to just make sure I could prove the value as a collectible.

AL
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    The USPS gives TWO shots at the appeals target.

Legit claims are routinely granted on appeal.

What to Do If Claim is Denied

You may appeal a claim decision for a numbered insured article by filing a written appeal within 60 days of the date of the original decision.

Send your appeal to the following address:

MANAGER CLAIMS APPEALS
    ACCOUNTING SERVICE CENTER
    US POSTAL SERVICE
    PO BOX 80141
    ST LOUIS MO 63180-0141

For an unnumbered Insured Mail article, you must send the appeal to the Post Office where the claim was filed. That Post Office will forward the appeal to the manager of Claims Appeals at the Accounting Service Center.

Final Postal Service Decision

If the manager of Claims Appeals at the Accounting Service Center sustains the denial of a claim, the customer may submit an additional appeal within 60 days for final review and decision to the Consumer Advocate, Postal Service Headquarters, who may waive the standards in DMM 609 in favor of the customer.

VICE PRESIDENT AND CONSUMER ADVOCATE
    US POSTAL SERVICE DOMESTIC CLAIMS APPEALS
    475 L’ENFANT PLZ SW
    WASHINGTON DC 20260-2200

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>File suit against the local Postmaster in small claims court. >>

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,081 ✭✭✭
    I have filed 2 Insurance claims with the Post Office, both of which were paid promptly. Did you have a receipt of purchase, saying how much the buyer paid for the item?

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    I had a simular problem and have to say it is a friggin nightmare
    dealing with the postal service. Not only do they hire the ignorant
    and stupid (many anyway) it was one of the worst experiences in my
    life dealing with such idiots over customer service issues. Like you I was
    pissed and can see why employees can go "Postal" on one another, it has to
    be one of the worst run departments of the government when it comes
    to Customer Service...their motto should be
    USPS...."We Just dont Give a Rats Ass What You Think"
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The USPS gives TWO shots at the appeals target.

Legit claims are routinely granted on appeal.

What to Do If Claim is Denied

You may appeal a claim decision for a numbered insured article by filing a written appeal within 60 days of the date of the original decision.

MANAGER CLAIMS APPEALS
    ACCOUNTING SERVICE CENTER
    US POSTAL SERVICE
    PO BOX 80141
    ST LOUIS MO 63180-0141

For an unnumbered Insured Mail article, you must send the appeal to the Post Office where the claim was filed. That Post Office will forward the appeal to the manager of Claims Appeals at the Accounting Service Center.

Final Postal Service Decision

If the manager of Claims Appeals at the Accounting Service Center sustains the denial of a claim, the customer may submit an additional appeal within 60 days for final review and decision to the Consumer Advocate, Postal Service Headquarters, who may waive the standards in DMM 609 in favor of the customer.

VICE PRESIDENT AND CONSUMER ADVOCATE
    US POSTAL SERVICE DOMESTIC CLAIMS APPEALS
    475 L�ENFANT PLZ SW
    WASHINGTON DC 20260-2200 >>

Thanks for that information. Stupid question though: What exactly do they mean by a "numbered insured article" versus an "unnumbered insured article"?
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "...What exactly do they mean by a "numbered insured article" versus an "unnumbered insured article"? .."

/////////////////////////////

An example of a "numbered insured article" is an insured package WITH a Delivery Confirmation number.

An example of a "unnumbered insured article" is an insured package WITHOUT a Delivery Confirmation number.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,484 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"...What exactly do they mean by a "numbered insured article" versus an "unnumbered insured article"? .."

/////////////////////////////

An example of a "numbered insured article" is an insured package WITH a Delivery Confirmation number.

An example of a "unnumbered insured article" is an insured package WITHOUT a Delivery Confirmation number. >>

Huh?

Doesn't all the insurance you buy at the Post Office have a number associated with it on the blue or black sticker?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The numbered vs. un-numbered claim is left over from the older forms all are numbered for tracking now.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I once had a postal clerk tell me that if I filed an insurance claim that I had to prove to them what was in the package. Not sure how that would be possible.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    They will gladly sell you the insurance.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Had claim "DENIED" because it was "delivered". Never-mind they did not get signature,as required,PO thief replaced contents,arrived in PO plastic "sorry" bags,and dropped in buyer box........Had all supporting paperwork,appealed AND filed claim/complaint with Postmaster General, sent same info to them, for investigation . Got money after 4 months. $ wise not worth the time and costs to appeal but worth it for peace of mind reasons.
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>File suit against the local Postmaster in small claims court. >>

image >>

That would be an incredible mistake and possibly very costly.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file