Home U.S. Coin Forum

How quickly do dealer-to-dealer newps make it to their cases for retail sales at a show?

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
Whenever I go to a show, I tend to look at a dealer's case, and then rarely do I go back to that same dealer and look at his material again (unless, of course, it is one of my preferred dealers, or it is Stack's, and I just want to gawk at QDB image)

However, I think I am short changing myself because a dealer's inventory probably does not remain static throughout the day. Does anyone know how quickly dealer-to-dealer sales (or dealer purchases from collectors) make it into the dealer's case for resale? For example, if I pass by a dealer's table at 10 AM, and I know he is an active buyer, would it make sense to stop by again at around noon to see what new stuff he has in the case? Or is this something that I would need to ask for because newps take some time to get processed into their accounting system, repriced, and then restocked?
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭
    At the last Baltimore show, a dealer just finished purchasing a large amount of slabbed coins from another dealer while I was at the table and began to immediately price them and put them into one of his cases.

Ryan
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fast! The "live one" he intends to sell them to is coming down the aisle now.image
    All glory is fleeting.
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quite often they are still on the back table being processed & you have to ask to see them.
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on the dealer's business model. Many load up the newps to take home and sell to the retail client base.

• ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    At a typical show, the inventory changes throughout, either by the addition of NEWPs (from other dealers or from collectors), coins returning from grading, trade-ins, etc.
  • WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    It really depends on the dealers themselves. There are many dealers who will buy something and immediately sticker a price and stick it out in their display case ready for sale. Other dealers, such as Heritage, will not offer a coin for sale at the same show they purchased that coin at.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    everybody's different....but at the Portland ANA I went through the whole room on Friday, and then did it again on Saturday, and many dealers had added fresh material...some dealers even had a little section with a "newps" sign designating the new pickups.

• disruptekdisruptek Posts: 119 ✭✭
    We like to put fresh material in a separate case so that folks can avoid scanning a large inventory for new stuff, but at some shows there's insufficient room and it ends up in a new product bin. Most new product is priced, barcoded, and available for sale within 10-15 minutes of receiving it.

It's always worth asking dealers if they have any newps, fresh grading, or "give ups". It's hard to over-emphasize the mystique surrounding fresh coins.
    disruptek.com
    877-DISRPTK
  • northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This raises the question of whether a coin club might be well served to set up a table at major shows where non dealer sellers and buyers could exchange coins directly without going through dealer markups. Something like a bid board or consignment arrangement.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    i bet some of those transactions take place in less then 5 seconds

kinda like "this sale will self destruct in 5 seconds"

K S

<< <i>This raises the question of whether a coin club might be well served to set up a table at major shows where non dealer sellers and buyers could exchange coins directly without going through dealer markups. Something like a bid board or consignment arrangement. >>

You seem to be suggesting that non-dealers price coins differently than dealers. If this is true, it probably isn't true in the way you suggest.

For our part, we price coins for what we think the market will bear, not what we think (or wish) they are worth. As non-dealers probably don't need to do the huge volumes that we do, my guess is that we're less aggressive on our prices than a non-dealer would be, especially when you consider pride-of-ownership issues.

Consignment makes much more sense to me; find a dealer you trust to maximize your price realized at a fair consignment rate, and then let them do their job.
    disruptek.com
    877-DISRPTK
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    "Blink"
  • COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    I sold a dealer a trade dollar at Long Beach. When I went ack to his table about 20 mins. later, he had sold it already.

Most dealers arn't like a store that can't do anything if their computor is broke down.
  • kruegerkrueger Posts: 851 ✭✭✭

I once offered a fellow collector a nice key date PCGS MS64RB US/ Philippines one centavo at a good price to get it sold . He did not like it. So I sold it to a dealer right away. An hour later my collector friend came to me to tell me that he saw a nice one in a dealers case and he was thinking about buying that one , at more money. It was the same coin I just sold. When I told him that, he got a shocked look on his face. Go figure?

Look in the corners of cases, some dealers pile up their newps there, not having worked them up yet. Maybe you can talk him into selling you some.

Krueger
  • dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    I submit that it depends upon the mark up he wishes to put on the material and whether he believes there would be an awkward moment should you come back to the table an hour later and see your 500 dollar coin priced at 1150. Or more to the point if be would care to have you bring him more coins in the future. If telling you at the point of purchase this retails for 680, there may be a trust issue. Just one scenario.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • I can think of a number of times when I made a purchase and never even had a chance to price or mark it before it sold... literally in one hand and out the other...

There was one time I made a purchase while a collector was looking thru my cases...as soon as the seller left this person asks if he could buy the coin... now he had heard the whole transaction... I shrugged and said I would sell it for a 10% markup...he agreed...

A few times I have purchased real nice coins and had a regular customer walk up and ask what I'm lookin at... i showed them the beauty I was admiring and they refuse to give it backimage "How much? Name your price cause I'm keepin this one" ... really...this has happened a few times...

I will usually get the newp right out into the case... unless i need to research the coin. Once, I made the mistake, along with the seller, of using a Coinworld to estimate a price on a coin not listed in the sheet and in a series I am not very familiar with. We agreed, I bought it and then I sold it at the same show. Found out later that the guy I got it from and me...we each left over $1000 on the table... hard lesson learned.
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭
    The one time I set up at the Santa Clara show, anything purchased by a dealer were intended to fill want lists that they had.

<< <i>I submit that it depends upon the mark up he wishes to put on the material and whether he believes there would be an awkward moment should you come back to the table an hour later and see your 500 dollar coin priced at 1150. Or more to the point if be would care to have you bring him more coins in the future. If telling you at the point of purchase this retails for 680, there may be a trust issue. Just one scenario. >>

When we make offers on coins, we often supply (for each coin) wholesale bid, our offer, and the price we would quote on the coin. With this information, the seller can see exactly how our offers compare to wholesale levels and they can even see our markup. It can get pretty ugly on sight-unseen deals where we have to hedge, but we feel the transparency is generally pretty compelling. I can remember a few times when, after receiving our bids, a potential seller turned into a buyer -- "Are they really that cheap? How many do you have? I'll take all of them!"
    disruptek.com
    877-DISRPTK
  • PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    I usually have a newp out on display at the earliest opportunity if it is a slab. Depending on how busy the day is it might not make it out until the following morning. A raw coin may make it out or may not. It just depends on time. If I have quite a few customers coming and going then it may stay on the back table, not by desire but number one is to try and pay attention to and give the customers at the table the attention they deserve.

In Portland there were coins coming and going the whole time. As mentioned by someone earlier in the thread most are newps but there were a couple of walk throughs that worked out too! image

The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file