Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The PCGS price guide used in conjunction with the PCGS pop report.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
Firstly, I realize that the PCGS price guide isn't necessarily reflective of real prices and that the pop report can be inaccurate, but my question about them pertains to the grades they each use. Why aren't they the same?? Why do they show a graded population and not a price in that same grade?? That just frustrates the heck out of me sometimes. Here's my curent example.

I'm going to buy a nice 1852 Braided Hair Cent that came into the shop a few weeks ago, I see it as a net AU with MS details and weak luster from what I figure was a long ago cleaning. The coin is really pretty, a faint/dark brown with some greenish tone in the fields. PCGS grades these in all grades, yet they price them in AU55, MS60 and MS63. Gone are the grades I'd expect the coin to grade and be priced.

We'll be pricing off the GreySheet but that's even less helpful for gauging the "tweener" grades-----they conveniently go from a generic AU up to MS60 and then waltz around 61-62 to MS63!!!!! This won't be a bad thing cause the spread between grades isn't large and the advantage probably shifts to me, bit I just wondered if anyone else had been puzzled by this?? I've never understood why so much of the grade scale is left off the sheets, especially when that can be where collectors try to buy. Then again, maybe I'm putting the cart before the horse and collectors try to buy at certain grades because the pricing can be vague. We shall see, but the coin is a beauty and I'll be buying it wherever my pal prices it. Pictures to come.image

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

Click open the grades 25-60 box:

Braided Hair Cent
    PCGS No Description Desig 25 30 35 40 45 50 53 55 58 60

1898 1852 BN 36 40 50 70 85 135 165 200 220 250
    1899 1852 RB - - - - - - - - - 260
    1900 1852 RD - - - - - - - - - 275

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy Crap!!!!!image

i'm not stupid but i sure feel stupid, i never noticed that. thanks for answering the question.image
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keets,

You are not stupid. You never noticed it because this feature only became active in the last year. Before that, we would have to debate linear regression models to determine the value of an AU-58. image

Edit: Did I really type, "You are stupid."? I did not intend to. My apologies. image
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    The prices for individual grades were always available, as RYK noted the became public in the last year on the PCGS site but before that if you did a Heritage search for any coin and grade, the current PCGS prices for that grade were listed in the old auction table. image
  • Options
    DonWillisDonWillis Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    We must have done a poor job of announcing the expanded price guide. A great deal of work went into adding all the additional grades. Not to mention all the time it takes to maintain the data.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>We must have done a poor job of announcing the expanded price guide. A great deal of work went into adding all the additional grades. Not to mention all the time it takes to maintain the data. >>

I think you did a good job. At least for me it was pretty clear when I saw the tabs with the grade ranges.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>We must have done a poor job of announcing the expanded price guide. A great deal of work went into adding all the additional grades. Not to mention all the time it takes to maintain the data. >>

Well, I didn't see any announcement at all for it. So I guess that would be a poor job image

I actually tried to make the announcement for you back in November Link to Thread

But I apparently did a poor job at announcing it as well image Very cool feature and glad you guys put in the work to make it happen, thanks image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file