Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Columbian expo medal

fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
After seeing all of the interesting medals and So Called Dollars being posted I have started to keep my out for them at the local shows.
Todays show in Milwaukee had NOTHING intersting in the area of Bust halves. I did locate this columbian expo piece in a showcase of other misc US coins.
The dealer and I didn't know anything about the piece. I figured I needed to come home with something so I spent 27 dollars and came home with this.

It is about 2X the size of a silver dollar, has prooflike surfaces and a few rim dings. Anyone have any info on this piece?

Comments

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow, that one has a lot going on....cool design

• Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can find it listed on tmot99's website for Columbian Expo exonumia here.
    Eglit-36 / Hibler-Kappen 157.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    This one would not be the so-called dollar version and therefore not HK-157. At 2X of a silver dollar, you have the 50mm version. A common piece, but still a nice addition to a WCE collection.
  • Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very intersting site for the columbian expo medals, thanks

Just found a very nice example that sold at Heritage for 69.00. So I guess for 27 dollars for an impaired piece I didn't loose too much money
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Very intersting site for the columbian expo medals, thanks

Just found a very nice example that sold at Heritage for 69.00. So I guess for 27 dollars for an impaired piece I didn't loose too much money >>

Thank you. It should be a lot nicer. I have many many more medals that I just need to reformat the pictures and upload them. One of these days I'll get to it.

Your medal, officially an Eglit 36A (versus the SCD size being E-36), is just fine for $27. I don't think you did bad at all. If you waited, you could possibly pick one up cheaper somewhere, but it's not like $27 is a lot of money to begin with. There are plenty of these that are dogs and go cheap. Yours looks pretty decent.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file