Home U.S. Coin Forum

When did this Happen - Snakeskin Proofs??

19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
I just received my Territorial Quarters Proof Set and could not help but notice:

When did the US Mint change from "Frosted Proofs" to "Snakeskin Proofs™"?? image
I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

Comments

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great close-up pics. That's quite the odd finish.
  • MillerJWMillerJW Posts: 649 ✭✭
    Huh good term "Snakeskin Proof" you should put a TM after that one...
    MSgt USAF Jan-06 - Present
  • rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It clearly has Leprosy. Burn it!!!!
  • thats the same finish that they did on the 2008 proof buffalo.
  • YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220
    Too much silica sand used during washing of the plancet.

I do think they have a vacine for coins also..image
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since the first pezy PROOF I have thought the mint was using some sort of digital process to generate the frosted appearance, your pics really put a great closeup on what I was seeing.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    While the coins look nice in hand, under the loupe that finish is simply terrible!

As a side note, the coins are the best I've received from the mint in many years but that finish..................Yuckola!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!

<< <i>Huh good term "Snakeskin Proof" you should put a TM after that one... >>

Remember you heard it here first!

The name is LEE!
  • Looks like the "chain mail" that knights wore.

• tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

.............so lee, you "coined" the expression.image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    Those are some excellent photos Lee. Nicely done.

Weird finish for sure. Bet it looks nice in the sunlight without magnification.
  • edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    I'm seeing something like that on the edges of the BU Wm. Henry Harrison dollars - sorta fabric like texture.

I had a friend who was a radio DJ called Freddy Snakeskin.

<< <i>I'm seeing something like that on the edges of the BU Wm. Henry Harrison dollars - sorta fabric like texture.

I had a friend who was a radio DJ called Freddy Snakeskin. >>

Is he a "Snake"?

The name is LEE!
  • mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    Odd, That's all that comes to mind image
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • A couple weeks of Retin-A will clear that right up!

Interesting, and GREAT pictures, Lee.
    Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.
  • tincuptincup Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps they are using lasers to impart the frost to the devices (on the dies). After all, they do appear to be many very tiny 'micro pits'. Rapid, high energy burst impacts by laser? Might be a faster cheaper way to get the frosted finish.

One thing for sure.... seems to be way different from the older traditional frost on the coins....
    ----- kj
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    The “frosted” surface is generated by laser, not by sandblasting the relief. The laser offers more precise control and w/o magnification the difference cannot be easily noticed. Under magnification, it resembles snake skin or mechanical engraving.

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Remember those Silver Wildlife Medals a couple years back? Well those were supposed to have used some new experimental laser-etching process to achieve the frosted devices.

I don't remember the exact science behind it all but after that "experiment", all subsequent proofs seemed to have a much more pronounced frosted effect to them. My guess is that this is what you are seeing with 19Lyds excellent photography.

Does this seem reasonable? I'm totally guessing here.

==== my apologies for appearing to be a broken record - I'm a very slow 1 fingered typist - was typing up a reply - while watching the news - while the above 2 replies were posted

P s - thanks for verifying my guess

Your post just helps confirm things...!

I'm a very slow 1 fingered typist - was typing up a reply - while watching the news - while the above 2 replies were posted...

Heck, I started typing my reply before the OP posted the message....and I still only beat one of you!
  • GemineyeGemineye Posts: 5,374
    The photography is excellent..but the detail of the Washington Quarter is lost in the minting process......
    ......Larry........image

How about Duke Ellington in his Anaconda Mask?

The name is LEE!
  • Isn't this the same process they used on the presidential proof sets? I seem to recall some talk about it then. Of course I haven't looked at one as magnified as 19Lyds photos.

You're right, I just never noticed.

The name is LEE!
  • BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's kind of cool looking, myself!

I bet if you were to rub them, it would not feel like cloth, even though it looks like it. Funny thing is, we will never know, cause even I could not bring myself to rub a proof...
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Perhaps they are using lasers to impart the frost to the devices (on the dies). After all, they do appear to be many very tiny 'micro pits'. Rapid, high energy burst impacts by laser? Might be a faster cheaper way to get the frosted finish.

One thing for sure.... seems to be way different from the older traditional frost on the coins.... >>

Impossible. Everyone knows that the metal of the die conducts heat instantly, therefore the die would be a puddle of metal before such an effect could occur image

Thanks, Frank.
  • FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Impossible. Everyone knows that the metal of the die conducts heat instantly, therefore the die would be a puddle of metal before such an effect could occur

Thanks, Frank.

-------------------------
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:

1. Jesus Christ

2. The American G. I.

One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. >>

Blinded by Ego, I never made the quote you attibuted to me. Jesus doesn't like liars.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • gonzergonzer Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Remember you heard it here first! >>

What? 'Snakeskin Proof' or the word 'Yuckola'? image
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 2006 Reverse Proof ASEs were the first coins to have this finish. Then in 2007 the presidollars had it as well. It only stood to reason that eventually the Mint would put it on all their proofs. After all, it has effect of hiding the inferior artwork with a noise pattern while being aesthetically inferior to the traditional frosting. How were they supposed to pass that opportunity up?
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Great pics!
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

<< <i>

<< <i>

Remember you heard it here first! >>

What? 'Snakeskin Proof' or the word 'Yuckola'? image >>

You never heard "Yuckola" before?

The name is LEE!
  • 19Lyds Thanks for the additional pic's.

I have to agree in part with messydesk, it may be a technological advancement in coinage, but IMO it takes away from the artistry somewhat. Old world craftsmanship replaced by modern processes. I guess I'm surprised how long it lasted to begin with. Hey we keep buying, right?

• drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You never heard "Yuckola" before? >>

It's kinda like "shinola."
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Impossible. Everyone knows that the metal of the die conducts heat instantly, therefore the die would be a puddle of metal before such an effect could occur

Thanks, Frank.

-------------------------
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:

1. Jesus Christ

2. The American G. I.

One died for your soul, the other for your freedom. >>

Blinded by Ego, I never made the quote you attibuted to me. Jesus doesn't like liars. >>

Sorry. But the original sounds even better than the paraphrase:

"It's a myth. Metals conduct heat instantly. The entire coin would be at the melting point before a laser had any effect"
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You're right, I just never noticed.

image >>

AAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
    "It's a myth. Metals conduct heat instantly. The entire coin would be at the melting point before a laser had any effect"

Huh???? Ever weld steel? Cast metal? Solder wouldn't work, spacecraft could not enter the atmosphere, a lead bullet would melt and run out the gun barrel, on and on....

Lasers are used all over the place to cut, etch and “engrave” metal. The mint’s system offers better control than masking and the product is approximately the same as sandblasting. (Well – not to sharp-eyed collectors.) Laser frosting also offers the possibility of many sorts of textures and detail enhancement not previously possible.

<< <i> "It's a myth. Metals conduct heat instantly. The entire coin would be at the melting point before a laser had any effect"

Huh???? Ever weld steel? Cast metal? Solder wouldn't work, spacecraft could not enter the atmosphere, a lead bullet would melt and run out the gun barrel, on and on....

>>

The subject was whether hairlines can be melted away with a laser to blend in with a proof surface.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • bronze6827bronze6827 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭
    Hey machining guys:

Don't suppose they are using EDM to impart the devices in the dies? I wouldn't be suprised that this move has been made with the advances in die making technology. This would allow then to totally avoid traditional squeezing of hubs and dies and the risks associated.

EDM: Electronic Discharge Machining (for those wondering). Basically a the form is cut on a copper block (called an electrode in this case) and it is plunged into the steel at a very slow rate. Electric then arcs across and "burns" the form perfectly into the work piece.

It is typical to see such surface patterns under magnification.

<< <i>

<< <i>You're right, I just never noticed.

image >>

AAAAAIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>

That picture reminds me of when James Earl Jones turned into that big snake in Conan the Barbarian!

I need a vacation................

The name is LEE!
    This type of finish has been seen in firearms and knives for many years, and likely is done mechanically.
  • keezkeez Posts: 842
    Does anyone know if the new Lincoln commemorative proof has this same snake skin finish?

Well...the Davey Crockett commemorative will have "Bear Skin" finish.

<< <i>Does anyone know if the new Lincoln commemorative proof has this same snake skin finish? >>

My proof does not have it:

Nor does my Unc:

But he does appear to have snake eyes!

The name is LEE!
  • blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    excellent work on the photos Lee!!
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • keezkeez Posts: 842
    Thanks Lee.
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    good job!

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • GREAT THREAD! Ive never seen this before on a coin, but it looks like Frank said, machining.

Still, very good eye to pick up on that.

• Just a guess, but it's possible the Mint is now using laser technology to etch this new "snakeskin" surface as opposed to the old, traditional method of sandblasting. I have read articles that attest to the fact that the Mint is incorporating all kinds of computer technology that speeds up the process of proof coin production. If a computer program is guiding the laser, that might explain its mechanical, uniform appearance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file