Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

First gold coin!

Ok guys....I broke down and bought my first ever gold coin.... Now I know a lot of you subscribe to the philosophy of save your money and buy the best... well... I wanted a gold piece and I like Newfies so I got this one. I got a good deal on it since it obviously is worth bullion only. Paid under BV for it so I'm HAPPY!!!

Comments

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    I like it! Not bad for something under melt either image

Completely OT, maybe I'm just in a silly mood, but I chuckle every time I hear the name Newfoundland.. just sounds silly. Which reminds me of this funny sketch on silly British place names image
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    Spoon that was hilarious!! I have NEVER seen these guys before but rest assured I will have watched all those episodes before the night is out! Reminds me a lot of Monty Python mixed with some Red Green Show!
  • Options
    Oh, those guys are a riot image

Be sure to see the one on the news (followed by the alien invasion) and the farmer and horse... ah, just waste your time with 'em, well worth it image

This one too.
  • Options

<< <i>Ok guys....I broke down and bought my first ever gold coin.... Now I know a lot of you subscribe to the philosophy of save your money and buy the best... well... I wanted a gold piece and I like Newfies so I got this one. I got a good deal on it since it obviously is worth bullion only. Paid under BV for it so I'm HAPPY!!!

image >>

Todd,
    That's a bugger about the reverse.Still,it is an extremely scarce series to get represented.

Aidan.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>Gold is goodimage >>

Especially when it is British Commonwealth gold coins image

Aidan.
  • Options
    Well....if the rev hadn't been "boogered" then I wouldn't have been able to get it!! I would have had to got the 1/10th oz Panda that they had... I may still go back and get it also...
  • Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Hmm someone has the gold bug....!

The neat thing about those Newfie gold reverses is the triple denomination: 200 Cents, 2 Dollars, 100 Pence.

Wonderful pickup for below melt.
    "The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    They have another one there but it was turned into a "Love Token" so I'm not sure I really want it... They do have a nice Panda I may scoop up...
  • Options
    If the love token one is going for bullion value have him weigh it out. If it was shaved clean on one side it may well be light enough (lower than the weight listed in the book) to knock a couple bucks off. Then again, well done engravings can give a coin some premium sometimes - depends on the dealer's attitude towards them.
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    Gold is great! a cool piece of history there Todd, congrats!!

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    A $2 gold piece? Too cool!!image
    Becky
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spoon- quite a hilarious link

At bv- great buy

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    i find the flaw on the reverse interesting. cool coin.
  • Options

<< <i>i find the flaw on the reverse interesting. cool coin. >>

It appears to have been used as jewelery, with the soldered pin now removed. Bullion is bullion, and nice bullion at a good price is even better. Nice pick-up.
  • Options
    I think it was a tie tack because there isn't as much wear if it had been a cuff link, unless it wasn't worn a lot. I got it for 80 bucks.... Gold was at $933 that day so I got a decent deal...
    Todd
  • Options
    <<The neat thing about those Newfie gold reverses is the triple denomination: 200 Cents, 2 Dollars, 100 Pence.>>

When the Newfoundland dollar was devalued in 1895 to match the Canadian dollar, the coin was worth 202.8 cents, 2.028 dollars, 100 pence. Now, you know why the $2 coin series came to an end.

At least it was still worth more than the Nova Scotia dollar of 1860-1871 (4 years after Confederation!) which was set at 48 pence per dollar.
  • Options

<< <i><<The neat thing about those Newfie gold reverses is the triple denomination: 200 Cents, 2 Dollars, 100 Pence.>>

When the Newfoundland dollar was devalued in 1995 to match the Canadian dollar, the coin was worth 202.8 cents, 2.028 dollars, 100 pence. Now, you know why the series came to an end.

At least it was still worth more than the Nova Scotia dollar of 1860-1871 (4 years after Confederation!) which was set at 48 pence per dollar. >>

Herb,
    The Newfoundland Dollar was actually withdrawn from circulation in 1949.The Nova Scotian Dollar was withdrawn from circulation in 1867,so any Nova Scotian notes issued after the 1st. of July 1867 are denominated in Canadian Dollars,not Nova Scotian Dollars!

Aidan.
  • Options
    From the Bank of Canada's "History of the Canadian Dollar"

Interestingly, although Dominion notes
    became redeemable in Halifax in 1868, Nova
    Scotia retained its own currency until April 1871,
    when the Dominion government passed the
    Uniform Currency Act.43 At that time, Nova
    Scotian currency, which was still rooted in the old
    Halifax rating, was converted into Canadian
    currency at a rate of 75 Nova Scotian cents to
    73 Canadian cents.44

I had the wrong date for the Newfoundland dollar devaluation in my previous post. It was 1895 not 1995.
  • Options
    Another difference with Nova Scotia and the other Maritime provinces were that they drove on the left side of the road well into the 20th century. In the meantime, the inland provinces drove on the right.

A similiar situation exists in China today with Hong Kong and surprisingly Macao driving on the left.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grats, Todd! Looks like a great first. I'm yet to pull a trigger on anything gold image
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice addition, Todd! I have yet to get any gold anything...I didn't think it was possible to get anything gold under a couple hundred dollars, even damaged. I simply can't afford that so am forced to live without. But your purchase gives me hope for my own collection!
    Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    I love gold! Congrats on your first piece Todd.
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>i find the flaw on the reverse interesting. cool coin. >>

It appears to have been used as jewelery, with the soldered pin now removed. Bullion is bullion, and nice bullion at a good price is even better. Nice pick-up. >>

bling in the days of old. image
  • Options
    They have another 2 dollar piece there that is a Love Token (I think I eluded to this in an earlier post in this thread).... The obverse is gone but the reverse with the date is still there... I'm tempted to go get it but I just can't seem to pull the trigger on the transaction. I know I can get it for at spot or below...