Home U.S. Coin Forum

When did the Genuine program start listing the issue on the label?

BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭
Edited, guess I missed the original details of the program - seems that filed, holed, plugged get written descriptions, everything else is still blank.

Check out this e-bay auction, it says filed rims in words.

Link

Comments

Did I miss something?

• adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    It also looks like it may have been cleaned to me.

Mmmmm. Die cracks.
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It also looks like it may have been cleaned to me. >>

They only record the worst of all issues. image
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to see it It was dicussed here and I think they listened again.
    Truth will win!!!! At least we can dream once in awhile.
  • robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The seller describes this coin as uncirculated with full mint luster... image
  • If you look at the list of Genuine Codes, 82 and 84 are the only ones with a printed description. Link
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I guess the dream was short lived, is it still the same old nightmare?
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    Too bad they don't do that with all of them. At least on this one the buyer knows that something is wrong besides the cleaning.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,986 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you look at the list of Genuine Codes, 82 and 84 are the only ones with a printed description. Link >>

PCGS should list all problems on the label and at least try to be consistent.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• << <i>

PCGS should list all problems on the label >>

Then they'd lose a lot of business to NGC/NCS
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

PCGS should list all problems on the label >>

Then they'd lose a lot of business to NGC/NCS >>

Why would that be?
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Out of all the problems and issues a coin could have to get bagged, Filed Rims is the least of them, IMHO.

peacockcoins

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Out of all the problems and issues a coin could have to get bagged, Filed Rims is the least of them, IMHO.

The problem is that often you can't see a rim file once the coin is in the holder.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • DonWillisDonWillis Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    One more time...this is on our website. Genuine codes:

No Grade Description Printed Description Holdered
    82 Filed Rims Yes Yes
    83 Peeling Lamination No No
    84 Holed and Plugged Yes Yes
    90 Not Genuine No No
    91 Questionable Color No Yes
    92 Cleaning No Yes
    93 Planchet Flaw No Yes
    94 Altered Surfaces No Yes
    95 Scratch / Rim Dent No Yes
    97 Environmental Damage No Yes
    98 Damage No Yes
    99 PVC Residue No No

We print 'filed' and 'Holded and Plugged' on the insert because they can be very difficult to detect. Otherwise we have no plans to print any other descriptions.

edited - sorry for the format

<< <i>Out of all the problems and issues a coin could have to get bagged, Filed Rims is the least of them, IMHO.

The problem is that often you can't see a rim file once the coin is in the holder. >>

Right. I know that was ANACS pet peeve too. An ever so slight rim file- sometimes difficult to even see by the novice, would get slabbed in a NET holder.
    I'd much rather own a coin such as that rather than one that has been cleaned and/or other man made issues and problems.

peacockcoins

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>One more time...this is on our website. Genuine codes:

82 Filed Rims Yes Yes
    90 Not Genuine No No
    92 Cleaning No Yes
    93 Planchet Flaw No Yes
    98 Damage No Yes
    99 PVC Residue No No

We print 'filed' and 'Holded and Plugged' on the insert because they can be very difficult to detect. Otherwise we have no plans to print any other descriptions.

edited - sorry for the format >>

Good to know.

Thanks Don.

<< <i>

<< <i>Out of all the problems and issues a coin could have to get bagged, Filed Rims is the least of them, IMHO.

The problem is that often you can't see a rim file once the coin is in the holder. >>

Right. I know that was ANACS pet peeve too. An ever so slight rim file- sometimes difficult to even see by the novice, would get slabbed in a NET holder.
    I'd much rather own a coin such as that rather than one that has been cleaned and/or other man made issues and problems. >>

Problem is that PCGS will only record one issue. It could have been cleaned or altered but if the rim was filed and is the worst of the issues that's what they will put.

82 Filed Rims Yes Yes
    90 Not Genuine No No
    92 Cleaning No Yes
    93 Planchet Flaw No Yes
    98 Damage No Yes
    99 PVC Residue No No

It would be nice if PCGS printed this list on a small cards, laminate them and then pass them out at coin shows so people would be able to decypher their code.

"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

Would be nicer if they would just accept responsibly and print the problem on the label in plain English. Is there something to hide?

<< <i>

<< <i>

I'd much rather own a coin such as that rather than one that has been cleaned and/or other man made issues and problems. >>

Problem is that PCGS will only record one issue. It could have been cleaned or altered but if the rim was filed and is the worst of the issues that's what they will put. >>

Do they list the worst issue or the first or easiest one to determine?
  • Maybe they want people to learn how to detect problems for themselves?

• << <i>Would be nicer if they would just accept responsibly and print the problem on the label in plain English. Is there something to hide? >>

Hasn't this been discussed about 5,000 times?

The point is that many of the collectors who actually buy these coins (as opposed to guys in chatrooms who pontificate about them) don't want to see the words "cleaned", or "scratched" in large letters everytime they pick up a slab. They want one that say "Genuine" on it. And PCGS (who are running a business with the goal of making a profit) are attempting to satisfy that demand.

For collectors that actually like seeing "Cleaned", or "Scratched" on their holders, NCS provides an ideal product.
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭

82 Filed Rims Yes Yes
    90 Not Genuine No No
    92 Cleaning No Yes
    93 Planchet Flaw No Yes
    98 Damage No Yes
    99 PVC Residue No No

Ok so I see this coin has the code 98 that is damage.

When I look up the cert number it shows Grade: Genuine (98 - Damage or Tooling)

So then it makes me wonder if the coin has damage or is it tooled or both.

I thought with multiple issues there would then be a catch-all, like "damaged" or "altered surfaces"?

I wasn't aware a coin could be, say, holed and plugged and also rims filed and only one problem denoted on the insert.

Good to know.

peacockcoins

• I just made this...hope this helps

PCGS, I think it would be useful if you posted this info on your website, instead of just the genuine codes with description.

Thanks

Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
    I still want to see the first Code 90 coin in a "Genuine" holder.

• << <i>I still want to see the first Code 90 coin in a "Genuine" holder. >>

Perhaps a contemporary counterfeit colonial issue would satisfy you? 1786 Nova Constellatio, anyone?

<< <i>

<< <i>Would be nicer if they would just accept responsibly and print the problem on the label in plain English. Is there something to hide? >>

The point is that many of the collectors who actually buy these coins (as opposed to guys in chatrooms who pontificate about them) don't want to see the words "cleaned", or "scratched" in large letters everytime they pick up a slab. They want one that say "Genuine" on it. >>

I guess some collectors are in denial. They want their cleaned or damaged coins in PCGS slabs but don't want to be reminded their coins have problems. I do agree with your statement that the "guys in chatrooms who pontificate about them" don't want to buy problem coins even if they are in "genuine" slabs.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Would be nicer if they would just accept responsibly and print the problem on the label in plain English. Is there something to hide? >>

The point is that many of the collectors who actually buy these coins (as opposed to guys in chatrooms who pontificate about them) don't want to see the words "cleaned", or "scratched" in large letters everytime they pick up a slab. They want one that say "Genuine" on it. >>

I guess some collectors are in denial. They want their cleaned or damaged coins in PCGS slabs but don't want to be reminded their coins have problems. I do agree with your statement that the "guys in chatrooms who pontificate about them" don't want to buy problem coins even if they are in "genuine" slabs. >>

What if the reason for every no grade was listed on the back of the slab?

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I guess some collectors are in denial. They want their cleaned or damaged coins in PCGS slabs but don't want to be reminded their coins have problems. I do agree with your statement that the "guys in chatrooms who pontificate about them" don't want to buy problem coins even if they are in "genuine" slabs. >>

What if the reason for every no grade was listed on the back of the slab? >>

I could live with this. I am one of the folks that does not like it bold, in your face on the front which is why I started the thread thinking they changed that.

• << <i>I guess some collectors are in denial. They want their cleaned or damaged coins in PCGS slabs but don't want to be reminded their coins have problems. >>

Can you imagine a collector of raw coins displaying his collection at a show and then making a little white card to place above each piece which lists all of its problems? Does that sound appealing to you? It doesn't to me, which I don't believe means that I am "in denial", I think it means that the eventual owner of these items doesn't want or need this information in his face.

Once again, I think you are confusing the wants and desires of the paying customer (a collector somewhere) with your desire to protect some unseen novice customer from being mislead.

• StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I still want to see the first Code 90 coin in a "Genuine" holder. >>

Code 90 coins are not holdered. They are still bodybagged. This is pointed out in Don Willis' previous post in this thread, and also in lope208's handy chart. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file