Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I wonder how many times Teletrade will list this coin before it finally sticks.

RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
http://www.teletrade.com/coins/lot.asp?auction=2661&lot=1391

Seems like an awful lot of buyers don't know the difference between Die 1 and Die 3. image

Russ, NCNE

Comments

• Options
    I have seen that one before,
    Many times before

Glen
    I don't buy slabs I make them
  • Options
    I've noticed that ANY 1961 DDR sells for at least a few hundred dollars on Ebay. I sold a 1961 DDR die 2 for $255 yesterday on Ebay.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I see alot of that on TT. You would think TT would not discose that info (resells/returns)
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    This coin keeps on getting sold....is TT buying it back, or....??? I don't understand TT sometimes, as the coin sold for $900 in August, then a few more times since then. It keeps bringing half of what it sold for in Aug. Can someone explain this to me? Or is the seller (who I would imagine is the Aug '08 winner) buying this back, or......is TT buying it back, or......??? Something not quite kosher with the history and prices on this coin. Then again, there's alot of intricacies about TT that I don't fully understand. I guess as long as I know how to bid, bid only what I'm willing to pay (keeping in mind buyers fees and shipping and adjusting my bid accordingly), and how to pay, thats all I really need to know. I guess. Though, their archives for past prices realized is uber handy.
    I'll come up with something, eventually.
  • Options
    I've noticed that ANY 1961 DDR sells for at least a few hundred dollars on Ebay. I sold a 1961 DDR die 2 for $255 yesterday on Ebay

I just visited CONECA's web site......10 DDR listings, and 16 DDO listinngs. A big year for doubled die Frankies. Not being 'up' on Frankies, I never realized there were that many die listings for '61 Frankies.
    I'll come up with something, eventually.
  • Options

<< <i>This coin keeps on getting sold....is TT buying it back, or....??? I don't understand TT sometimes, as the coin sold for $900 in August, then a few more times since then. It keeps bringing half of what it sold for in Aug. Can someone explain this to me? Or is the seller (who I would imagine is the Aug '08 winner) buying this back, or......is TT buying it back, or......??? Something not quite kosher with the history and prices on this coin. Then again, there's alot of intricacies about TT that I don't fully understand. I guess as long as I know how to bid, bid only what I'm willing to pay (keeping in mind buyers fees and shipping and adjusting my bid accordingly), and how to pay, thats all I really need to know. I guess. Though, their archives for past prices realized is uber handy. >>

The coin is being returned each time it is sold and then being relisted.

BTW, that coin looks like it should have gotten a full cameo designation.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that the coin looks cameo from the pictures.

And I am also amazed at the number of people that pay crazy money for the common '61 doubled dies. I'll have to check to see how many I have in the vault - if they are getting over $200 then it is time to sell.

Now, Die 3 - that is a completely different animal. Spectacular doubling for a proof Franklin.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Something not quite kosher with the history and prices on this coin. >>

Could be a house coin. If you watch Teletrade closely, you'll see hundreds of coins that show sold time after time after time. They're house coins. That's why I don't trust the prices realized.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭
    Well if it got sold for $900 on Aug 17th of 08 and then returned, does the $900 really mean anything?

I guess with enough restocking fees on returns they will eventually make a profit on it.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>does the $900 really mean anything? >>

Nope, someone thought they were getting a rip on the big DDR (actually Die 3). Once they got it in hand they realized they paid waaaayyyyy too much for it and back to TT it went.

I bought examples of Die 1, 2, & 4 for about $50 each in old Anacs holders. Looks like those have moved up in value - I thought they were fairly priced at $50 or less.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other than Die#3 there isn't much. The others are pretty insignificant. These bidders should educate themselves a little bit before they throw this crazy money at these things. The PR 3-R-V would be easily visible in the photo shown-even with TT's lousy pictures.

Seems like a significant percentage of the coins on TT are recycles these days.
  • Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    The other thing that bothers my about TT, was the huge Gold Piece they were selling.

Magically, the bids stopped just below the $1 Million reserve...?..?

FWIW:
    The 'house' coins, 'weekly relistings' (even though coins show as sold), reserves not being posted, all the things I hate about Teletrade.
    I stopped bidding there. Too many games.

Don't even ask me about the batch of coins I sent them for auction...
    Never Again.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file