Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Fantasy Baseball Keeper League. Who would you keep?

I have been in the same Fantasy Baseball League for the last 14 years, and have done very well the last 3 (1st, 1st, 2nd) We are a keeper league and this year can keep 3 players. i will have the 11th and 14th picks. I have never had this hard a decision to make on who to keep. I have decided to keep 3 position players and not keep any of my pitchers. So which 3 would you keep off this list?

Matt Holliday
David Wright
Carlos Quentin
Manny Ramirez
Dustin Pedroia

I am keeping Wrght for sure.
I would have kept Holliday for sure, but now that he is on the A's I am hesitant.
Kind of leaning towards Wright, Pedroia and Ramirez.

-Jason

Comments

• MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Wright and Pedroia are easy. I would keep Holliday over Manny, only because his situation is more defined and he tends to run a little more than Manny.
  • cwazzycwazzy Posts: 3,257
    I would keep Wright, Pedroia, and Manny as well. Good luck! Sounds like a lot of fun!

Chris
    Chris
    My small collection
    Want List:
    '61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
    Cardinal T206 cards
    Adam Wainwright GU Jersey
  • 1) David Wright
    2) Dustin Pedroia
    3) Matt Holliday....even if his numbers falter a little he's still a top 20 player. Not to mention combine those three batting average's image

I also find it hard to keep Manny, which manny shows up? and Quintin I think will be hard pressed to ever match those numbers...if he can do it for one more year, then next year he's in the same category as Holliday and other elite OF's.
  • Clemens, bonds and Aroid. easy 3!

(keep em OUT of the HOF that is image
  • i am very curious who your pitchers are image Im a sucker for pitching.
  • corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    How is the scoring in your league? Ie, how are stat categories weighted?
    Without this info it would be hard to choose between Manny/Holliday/Pedroia for the last 2 spots.
  • the best choices are always good run producers with a high avg.ob% from a skill position.

Manny may sign with a crap team and may not try. who knows what he will produce this season.

Wright and Pedroia are young and getting better. and they are top echelon players at tough positions.
    I am real curious to see Holidays stats this year, but he is an absolute Stud, unfortunately he is playing for Oakland!
  • TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I don't think you can justify keeping Manny at this point. Manny is unemployed and there's no guarantee that any team will sign him. In my keeper league, once you've declared a keeper you're stuck with them. Luckily we don't have to declare until March 1st.

I'd keep Wright, Pedroia, and Holliday and hope that Holliday gets traded to a team with a better hitter's ballpark than the A's have. There's so much foul territory in Oakland that you have to expect a noticeable drop off in Holliday's batting average if that matters much in your league.

• << <i>i am very curious who your pitchers are image Im a sucker for pitching. >>

The only Pitcher worth even discussing that I have is Peavy.

• << <i>How is the scoring in your league? Ie, how are stat categories weighted?
    Without this info it would be hard to choose between Manny/Holliday/Pedroia for the last 2 spots. >>

The league is head-to-head, with 6 batting categories and 6 pitching.

Batting: Runs, RBI's, HR's, SB's, AVR, and Walks
    Pitching: Wins, Saves, K's, Walks, ERA, and WHIP

• MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Dont keep a pitcher in H 2 H leagues, you can offset any stud pitching by just picking up and dropping pitchers each week based on matchups. Not to mention that Peavy has been nicked up a little the last two years.
  • KnopflerKnopfler Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    Are there salary or auction values attached to these players? Sometimes the salary can make a major difference. Last year I had to decide between keeping Sabathia for $8 or ARod for $29. The $8 salary on Sabathia tipped the scale there. Unfortunately I lost him mid-season as it's an AL Only league image
  • mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    A lot depends on your league rules, etc etc.

I only play in NL only leagues, so I cant help you as far as the AL players. Wright is a no brainer 5 tool player. Since I am not sure of the AL players, I would tend to go with Manny if they give him a decent contract and he is happy. As for Holliday, look at his home/rode splits, they are huge. Not saying he is going to be a bust, just dont expect anything close to what he has been doing. He has hit .360 at Coors during his career and .280 away, his supporting cast is less at Oakland, plus having to learn new pitchers, not to mention he runs less than he used to. Again, not saying I wouldnt keep him, just dont expect typical numbers from him this year.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭
    Matt Holliday
    David Wright
    Dustin Pedroia
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• no salary restrictions. AL-NL League. We are restricted to 63 moves for the season. So I can't "player-stream"

-Jason
  • otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    I'd keep:

Matt Holliday
    David Wright
    Dustin Pedroia

You may be able to add Manny with either your first or second round pick assuming he finally signs with LA.

I'm in the same boat in one of my leagues. We keep 3 then forfiet draft picks for any additional players we keep (plus pay a $25 retention fee per player). I'm dealing with a roster that includes: ARod, Beltran, Soriano, Carlos Lee, Hamels, Lincecum, Liriano, and two players that rode my taxi squad last year in Phil Hughes (no big loss as he looks to be headed back to AAA) and Matt Scherzer (who I expect to be a monster for AZ this year). ARod, Beltran, Lee and Soriano are locks and I'm figuring to keep Lincecum and Hamels, so I won't see another player until round 4, but I can't see any of them being better than what I would find in the first three rounds being it is a 12 team league and at least 36 players are being kept... Sadly, I can't even consider keeping Brian Roberts, Adrian Gonzalez or Soria..
  • From ESPN:

2009 Season Outlook
    There've been a lot of people analyzing the stats and presenting theories and evidence about how Holliday will do in a full year away from Coors. To sum up what your baseline expectations should be, over the past three years on the road, he's put up a .296/.370/.486 stat line. Give him a slight bump from that, and that's a reasonable assumption. It also wouldn't be shocking to see last year's 28 stolen bases, double his career high, cut in half again this season.

I agree, first year removed from Coors Field is the killer. Someone will overpay for him...make sure it isn't you.

Kirby Puckett Master Set
  • Wright, Quentin, Holliday
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Manny may not be signed in time, and Quentin is coming off an injury.

"Molon Labe"

• swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    David Wright
    Carlos Quentin
    Manny Ramirez

Manny and David are musts...

Quentin could have a real good year....

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...