Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Newfoundland Newp (Ebay Winnings from last night)

Won a Newfoundland 1888 20 Cent piece, graded fine by NNC.... I wasn't sure if I wanted to bid on it but threw a bid in or 10 bucks and won it for $9.38... not too shabby... here are the sellers pics/scans...

Comments

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Starting a collection of Newfies?
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    Yeah... I needed some direction in my collecting interest so I have stopped collecting US (well stopped buying) and have now focused on my German 1 marks and 1/2 marks, Canadian 50 cent pieces, and have now added Newfoundland, New Brunswick, Prince Edward, and Nova Scotia. I really want to focus on the Newfoundland 50 cent pieces. I have yet to get one but I now have started teh 5 cent and 20 cent collections. I got a GREAT deal on the 1947C Newfie 5 Cent piece the other day on ebay. I just got the coin yesterday and need to image it.. I would guess its going to grade a HIGH EF or AU... 10 bucks, you can't beat it.
  • Options
    My opinion is that the Newfoundland coins are way undervalued.

Ray
  • Options
    Man I'm hoping it stays that way until I acquire a large number of them!
  • Options

<< <i>My opinion is that the Newfoundland coins are way undervalued.

Ray >>

Ray,
    That is an understatement.The whole Newfoundland coin series is extremely underrated,as are the coins from New Brunswick,Nova Scotia,& Prince Edward Island.

Krause's prices on Newfoundland coins are just a joke.I'm not sure about Charlton's prices though.

Aidan.

• Options
    Charlton list this coin in F-12 as $35
    I don't know what Krause's listing is, I don't have a Krause with these dates.
    Mintage of only 75,000 on these... Hard to tell from the scans but the coin may be overgraded by NNC, we will see when it gets here. Always hard to tell a grade from a picture, much less a scan... I'm hoping it has MORE detail than what the scan shows. Even if it drops a grade to VG-8, it still list for $15... a steal in my book for a low mintage...
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    Me.
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    I don't collect them, but happen to have a few. I will probably hold onto them until they are desireable..... which probably won't happen.

I have lower mintage coins from various places that are not worth very much.

I have some with mintages of 1,000 or some with a mintage of 160. I couldn't get rid of them for a premium if I wanted to.
    Like it has been said in the past by a few, Supply and demand decides the prices. If you do not have a buyer out there it will not sell.
  • Options
    With all the Canadian collectors out there I am surprised that he price of the Provincial coins hasn't gone up. I suspect it will in the next few years. I think this because most of the coin market has gotten OUTRAGEOUS... US coins are becoming too expensive for me to think about and my favorite German coins are going up in price (Canadian coins have also gone up some in the past few years).... with the price jumps in coins I look for collectors to branch out into lower priced coins, especially silver ones, in order to grab a market share. I would say that within the next 10 years these coins will double if not triple in price..... That's right, you hear it here first from NostraToddus....
  • Options
    Well, that may be true for xf/ms grade coins, but the junk will be considered place keepers or fillers. If you are saying a $5 coin will be worth $10 in ten years I would agree, but taking inflation into account, does this really mean much?
  • Options

<< <i>with the price jumps in coins I look for collectors to branch out into lower priced coins, especially silver ones, in order to grab a market share. I would say that within the next 10 years these coins will double if not triple in price >>

I agree that the Newfies seem likely to increase in value over the next decade, and I think you will do well in acquiring then at these prices now, but there are no guarantees in life. Well, maybe except for the guarantee that a coin slabbed by "National Numismatic Certification" is no more desirable than the same coin raw, so get it out of that styrofoam and plastic post haste!

<< <i>Supply and demand decides the prices. >>

Well said Ormand, which is why I can still sometimes snipe a coin that I like for a nice price, like I just did with your 1919s US-PI Centavo, and why I sometimes get a steal. However, there is also the fact that some coins could have plenty of buyers, but they are not always closely monitoring ebay for them. When more than one collector does see a particular coin and want it, the price for coins in my category regularly sell for significantly higher than book. I suspect the same holds true for Newfies right now.

Others have said collect what you like, pay what it is worth to you, and don't pay more than you can afford. In other words, coin collecting should never be part of one's retirement plan. If you are lucky, then what you found attractive and desirable years earlier will be worth a premium down the road, but it may also be worth less / worthless and difficult to sell / unload. However, if you originally bought the coin at a price consistent with your disposable income and the pleasure you derive from owning it, then a lower price down the road should not cause you heartburn. And a significantly higher price down the road could make you giddy.

Purchases in the $10 to $20 range likely fits within the means of most collectors, as long as you diligently focus on the one category; otherwise, $10 a pop plus shipping can quickly add up to too much for your finances.

If I had the means, (i.e. disposable income), I would expand into collecting Canadian Provincial coinage, but I can only afford one collecting direction at this time. Since I am an American and my wife is Filipina, US-Philippine coinage is of special interest to me, for it has "United States of America" on the reverse and "Filipinas" (Spanish for Philippines) on the obverse, and I do believe it will eventually be recognized for what I truly believe it is, another category of US coinage. That and the fact that children of American and Filipino descent will be drawn towards the category, and there are quite a number already reaching the financial stage where they could drop significant sums on their own collection. But if such never happens and my collection never makes significant gains in market share of the collector base, I'll still be happy with what I have acquired.

Most likely ASU Todd will be happy with his own collection as well.

Out of curiosity, what are the mintage figures for the Newfie 1947C 5 Cent and 1880 20 Cent pieces?

• Options
    1947 C 5 Cents has a mintage of 38,400
    1880 20 Cents has a mintage of 75,000

• Options
    Its definitely coming out of the slab (if you wanna call it that) as soon as it gets here... It will go into a album, more than likely, as opposed to another Slab. The one thing about Canadian Provincial coins is this, it isn't Timbuktu, No Where... its Canada... people can associate it with a place and a time frame. These coins will become more desirable in the future and with mintages under 200,00 in most cases, you can't go wrong. The Newfie 50 cent pieces are STEALS, imo..... I always wanted to start a set of German State coins but with prices like they are I couldn't do it, so I went with 1 and 1/2 marks... I can afford those (well most of them)... I started looking at the mintages of the Provincial coins and realized that this was a rich, and untapped, resource for collecting. I already collected Canadian coins why not collect the Provinces that started it all!
  • Options
    If you are going to collect the series and you speculate that it will go up, then buy the best examples that you can afford. Otherwise, you are wasting your money. There are going to be less higher grade coins than there are going to be lower grade coins. If you want to put a cheap collection together and really do not want to put the $ out for it then, by all means, try to put the cheapest set together that you can.
  • Options

<< <i>If you are going to collect the series and you speculate that it will go up, then buy the best examples that you can afford. Otherwise, you are wasting your money. There are going to be less higher grade coins than there are going to be lower grade coins. If you want to put a cheap collection together and really do not want to put the $ out for it then, by all means, try to put the cheapest set together that you can. >>

I agree, but that sounds a little harsh. I am guessing from ASUtodd's nom de plume that he has not yet or has just started in his chosen career, and as a result cannot afford MS60+ coins. Perhaps he would even have a bit of difficulty with XF and AU. Whether he can or cannot afford better quality examples, I would suggest that he buy the best quality he can get for money he can (currently) justify spending, even if that means his collection grows more slowly.
  • Options
    I've been police officer for 9 years now, with the last 5 years as either a Narcotics Detective, General Detective, and now Violent Crimes/ Gang Investigator. I buy what I can afford but with one child that is 1 year old, and one on the way, I'm in no means going over the top. Regardless of the grade I buy I will enjoy them....
  • Options
    ASUtodd-I have 118 Newfies in my collection. Many are duplicates in the dime and half catagory, with a few extra cents and 20 cent pieces. If you are interested in any give me a pm. Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Since prices are all about supply and demand, how many folks on this board are contributing to the demand? Who else collects Newfoundland? Let's start a list of who does, feel free to add your name to it and pass the list down the line. I hope that this doesn't constitute hijacking the thread but I'm curious....

1. ASU Todd

2. justanothercoinaddict

3. Who's next? >>

You can add my name...I will pay ASU Todd double for what he paid, that was a great buy!
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If you are going to collect the series and you speculate that it will go up, then buy the best examples that you can afford. Otherwise, you are wasting your money. There are going to be less higher grade coins than there are going to be lower grade coins. If you want to put a cheap collection together and really do not want to put the $ out for it then, by all means, try to put the cheapest set together that you can. >>

I agree, but that sounds a little harsh. I am guessing from ASUtodd's nom de plume that he has not yet or has just started in his chosen career, and as a result cannot afford MS60+ coins. Perhaps he would even have a bit of difficulty with XF and AU. Whether he can or cannot afford better quality examples, I would suggest that he buy the best quality he can get for money he can (currently) justify spending, even if that means his collection grows more slowly. >>

No. Not at all. I am merely saying that if one was to start a collection that you are going to make more money on the higher grades. It would be better to spend more on quality than it would on quantity. Todd, I am in no way belittling you. If that is the way you took it, I am sorry, because that is not the way that I meant it to sound. Buy a high grade Newfie every month or every two months.

• Options
    I didn't take your comments in a harsh manner... I was giving others a background about me so that my "pen name" wouldn't make them think I'm some young kid with no clue about life or coins... The name ASUTodd comes from the fact I went to Appalachian State University in Boone, NC. I am proud of my accomplishments while there and take great pride in having graduated.
    I try to buy what I can afford, plain and simple... I also like to buy A LOT of things.... I don't have great restraint when it comes to coins so I buy here and there. I do most of it for my kids in hopes that they will have something to do when they get older...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Supply and demand decides the prices. >>

Well said Ormand, which is why I can still sometimes snipe a coin that I like for a nice price, like I just did with your 1919s US-PI Centavo, and why I sometimes get a steal. However, there is also the fact that some coins could have plenty of buyers, but they are not always closely monitoring ebay for them. When more than one collector does see a particular coin and want it, the price for coins in my category regularly sell for significantly higher than book. I suspect the same holds true for Newfies right now. >>

I actually allowed you to steal the coin. I would never start an auction for $1 unless that is what I am willing to let the coin go for. This one I did not have a lot in so my profit is what it is. It is a nice coin though.
  • Options

<< <i>Since prices are all about supply and demand, how many folks on this board are contributing to the demand? Who else collects Newfoundland? Let's start a list of who does, feel free to add your name to it and pass the list down the line. I hope that this doesn't constitute hijacking the thread but I'm curious....

1. ASU Todd

2. justanothercoinaddict

3. Who's next? >>

I also collect Newfoundland coins,plus those from New Brunswick,Nova Scotia,& Prince Edward Island.I also collect the traders' currency tokens from these countries,plus Lower Canada & Upper Canada as well.

Aidan.
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

1. ASU Todd

2. justanothercoinaddict

3. Who's next? >>

I also collect Newfoundland coins,plus those from New Brunswick,Nova Scotia,& Prince Edward Island.I also collect the traders' currency tokens from these countries,plus Lower Canada & Upper Canada as well.

Aidan. >>

I too am a Newfie and Provinces collector. With a few Registry sets going. Finished the $2 gold Newfies and working on the rest.

Todd, if that NNC coin is not cleaned (looks polished to me album retoned) then you got a great buy.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    Gene,
    How did you manage to complete a set of Newfoundland gold $2 coins? They are extremely scarce to rare.

I haven't got any of them,although I did have a ring-mounted worn 1872 one in my collection until my flat was broken into back in 2002.This was unfortunately never recovered,although most of my collection was recovered,including my Australian 1865 Sydney Mint 1/2 Sovereign & my South African 1984 1/10 Krugerrand.

Aidan.
  • Options
    I consider myself a collector of Newfoundland coins. But I am just sitting on what I pulled out of circulation. I sort of wish I could have back the 3 rolls of halves that I turned into the bank in 1956. At least those were all duplicates.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    I am a type collector of Newfie coins, and I am open to upgrades. The only sets I collected by date are the George V 50 cent pieces (and after years I still haven't found a 1911 I like) and George VI 5 cent pieces because I found a group of them at my local B&M shop.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that newfie coins are undervalued, but then, they always were and probably always will be. It is too hard to put together, say an EF or better date set of 19th century Newfoundland coins, In any denomination. The pieces just aren't very available. Then it comes down to putting together a vg or fine set-These coins are fairly plentiful. But most advanced collectors want higher grades and settle for a type set. I collect Newfoundland coins however they are the lower grade coins. I find i have to settle for a vg or fine for most issues if i want an even set.
  • Options
    Please let me know if you do come across a pair of Newfoundland 1947C 5c. & 10c. coins that you want to offload.I've got US$13 coming back in change from Dan (ormandh) from buying the Coleraine 1d. trader's currency token off him for US$7.

Please feel free to email me here if you do get either or both of those 2 coins in one of the bottom grades from F to VF.

Aidan.
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    I have heared people describing the Newfie series as possibly undervalued since I started collecting

not sure what that really could mean
  • Options

<< <i>I have heared people describing the Newfie series as possibly undervalued since I started collecting

not sure what that really could mean >>

Colin,
    This means that Krause's prices for the Newfoundland coins are an absolute joke.

Aidan.
  • Options
    AUPTAUPT Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    My experience in doing extensive eBay pricing research on Canadian (and Newfoundland, etc.) coins in NNC (and NMS) slabs is that they consistently sell for way less than the same nominal grade in an ICCS, CCCS, or even PCGC or NGC slab. I believe NNC and NMS are/were among the various Alan Hager ventures, which should tell you all you need to know.
  • Options
    I received the coin the other day and I will say that if it is a F-12 then it just squeaks in there. Regardless, I didn't pay that much for it and even if it is a VG I still paid what it was worth. It is an attractive coin in hand and I'm glad to have it. When I get a chance I'll see if I can image it. Can't say that I won't buy any other NNC slabs but I will take caution with them.
    Todd
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    I forgot that I had this one. Not the best date...or photo, but it is nicely toned.

"Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree that newfie coins are undervalued, but then, they always were and probably always will be. It is too hard to put together, say an EF or better date set of 19th century Newfoundland coins, In any denomination. The pieces just aren't very available. Then it comes down to putting together a vg or fine set-These coins are fairly plentiful. But most advanced collectors want higher grades and settle for a type set. I collect Newfoundland coins however they are the lower grade coins. I find i have to settle for a vg or fine for most issues if i want an even set. >>

Yea, verily.

Try collecting a complete set of well-struck, attractive Victoria 20 cent pieces in EF+. I double-dog dare ya!
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    The whole Newfoundland King Edward VII 1c. series has proved to be extremely elusive to me,as has both the King Edward VII & King George V 20c. coins,the 1919C 25c. coin,&,of course,the 1911 50c. coin.

Aidan.
  • Options
    Well just forget about me then!!! image
  • Options

<< <i>Aidan, the 1911 Newfoundland 50c is surprisingly difficult, I agree. When they do show up though, they are pretty inexpensive. I'll keep my eyes open for one for you. I bought a VF30 ICCS-graded 1911 on eBay two years ago for $26.20 and I haven't really seen a decent example there since. >>

I'm also missing the Canadian 1911 50c. coin as well.

Aidan.
  • Options

<< <i>1911 50c alert! There are two in eBay stores, uncertified, one is graded by the seller as EF40 and the other EF45 by the same seller. Have at it guys! >>

How much are they going for?

Aidan.
  • Options
    $55 in EF for the Nefie