Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this E-bay CBH a counterfeit?

TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
I think it is,but want some other opinions before I send the seller a message telling him/her it is.What say you?

fake?
Trade $'s

Comments

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW
    That bird is the stuff of nightmares.
    Imagine that thing flying toward you?
    In fact....it looks like it might have already gotten to poor Liberty...
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Interesting location for the eye. Lots of blobs, including the goiter on the eagle.

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Looks neat, no one try to outbid me on this puppy. image
  • Options
    C'mon Tennessee Dave.................
    You're looking for capped bust halves and you don't know if this is fake or not?
    hahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhahahahaha

Ray
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, doesn't sell many coins so may not know.

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,082 ✭✭✭
    Super cool piece. Definitely a counterfeit, but looks to be contemporary. They are very collectible and usually go for around $50.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>I think it is,but want some other opinions before I send the seller a message telling him/her it is.What say you?

fake? >>

Big time!
  • Options
    What about this Half $?

1794 Half Dollar
    "In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation [...] Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a protector of property rights." - Alan Greenspan
  • Options
    I'd actually bid on it for $20 to pull out of my pocket every now and then while looking for exact change at the checkout.
    "In the absence of the gold standard, there is no way to protect savings from confiscation through inflation [...] Gold stands in the way of this insidious process. It stands as a protector of property rights." - Alan Greenspan
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it's a counterfeit, but be quiet about it.image
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options

<< <i>What about this Half $?

1794 Half Dollar >>

Hah, funny how it just jumped from $19 to $255.....Guess some think it might be real at least.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes, it's a counterfeit, but be quiet about it.image >>

I was going to shoot you a PM my friend.
    It is THAT year you know....
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>

<< <i>What about this Half $?

1794 Half Dollar >>

Hah, funny how it just jumped from $19 to $255.....Guess some think it might be real at least. >>

Guess who bid it up to $400 image
  • Options
    I actually have no idea if it's real.....was just curious as it was sitting at around $15-19 for days.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    1. The beak on the eagle is way too long

2. The N in UNUM is reversed

3. The dentils are irregular

4 Big blob or air bubble under beak

5. Curvature on top of right wrong is wrong

This looks like a very poor China Mint product
    made by a process other then a die and press.

I would say the 1827 is PHONY!
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of those early (contemporary counterfeits) fakes are worth more than their genuine counterparts.

(The 1794 looks authentic.)

peacockcoins

• Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Looks like bogie 3C. My guess is it will go for hundreds of dollars.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think it is,but want some other opinions before I send the seller a message telling him/her it is.What say you?

fake? >>

That's a rhetorical question...right? If not, then...yes, it is a counterfeit.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like bogie 3C. My guess is it will go for hundreds of dollars. >>

Mozin, you are correct. I was wondering when someone would pop in with a Davignon attribution. According to Keith's reference: "Only 1 German silver piece seen. Rare." The counterfeit in the auction is not the plate coin in Davignon, and, if a "real contemporary counterfeit," is much nicer than the plate coin. However, in this day and age, we have to wonder if this is a modern counterfeit of a contemporary counterfeit. That cannot be determined from photos. All 1827 bogus bust halves are challenging. It is a tough date, with only one example of each of the 5 or 6 varieties known to the author when he published his work in 1996 (first edition).
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

fake? >>

What is funny is that if the person lists it as a counterfeit it will alert those bogus CBH collectors and it will probably go for more money!

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like bogie 3C. My guess is it will go for hundreds of dollars. >>

Well, hopefully not hundreds...but, if the auction is allowed to run its course I know for a fact that it will go for more than it is currently bid. image

Edit to add:
    Of course, now that the ebay police on this forum are involved it will probably be canceled.image
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, here's his response to the emails as posted in the auction:

i have received some e-mails saying this coin is not real i no nothing about coins so please check befor bidding

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    dohdoh Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭
    Very fake
    Positive BST transactions with: too many names to list! 36 at last count.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file