Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

roberto alomar a hall of famer ?????? take the poll

A 10-time Gold Glove winner and career .300 hitter, Alomar is 276 hits shy of 3,000. He was an All-Star for 11 consecutive seasons from 1991-2001. does he have the goods to make the hall.

Comments

• Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    He may have to end his career a little stronger then the last few years. If he reaches 3000 hits then he is a lock......otherwise he may have to wait more then a few years.
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    He's a definite HOF, one of the best 2B to play the game during his prime. Nearly 3000 hits, tons of steals, and a .300 average including the past 3 seasons of his decline.
  • Options
    wallst32wallst32 Posts: 513 ✭✭
    He dominated his position both offensively and defensively for a decade. I don't see how he can't make it. Also, he put up respectable power numbers for his position and don't forget about the stolen bases.
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was in the AL what Biggio was in the NL, the dominant second baseman for a decade; they should both make it. Of course, Biggio never spit on an umpire.
    This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    no doubt hall of famer,great career,hit for power,fielded above average,played on great and real good teams,ran the bases well and was an all star repeatedly.sadly at least if you are a met or white sox fan his performance level has faded as fast as mark mcgwire's reputation.
  • Options
    DavinoDavino Posts: 333
    If Sandberg is, then Alomar is also.
  • Options
    Just heard on Fox Cable News Alomar Retired
    A Sport Card Collector Is a WELL FOCUSED PACKRAT..

Need 1973 Baseball PSA 9's
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    He for sure is.
  • Options
    Yep, Alomar officially retired. Straight from mlb.com. Here's the link if interested.

E

Alomar retired.
  • Options
    Definite HOF'er depending on who else decides to hang it up this year should be a first ballot selection.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    he is a hall of famer by todays standards, a clown by vintage standards image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭
    I say he gets in, but not first ballot. The last few years he was pretty bad.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    SoutherncardsSoutherncards Posts: 1,384 ✭✭
    Not a chance in Hell. While he may have the numbers, he was never a dominating force. No pitcher ever stood on the mound in the bottom of the 9th, and was afraid to pitch to him. He defense didnt win championships, his leadership didnt carry others to victory.
  • Options
    athleticsfanathleticsfan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    He's no HOF. The only thing he will be remembered for is spitting in that umps face.
    A's World Championships-1910, 1911, 1913, 1929, 1930, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1989
  • Options

<< <i>Not a chance in Hell. While he may have the numbers, he was never a dominating force. No pitcher ever stood on the mound in the bottom of the 9th, and was afraid to pitch to him. He defense didnt win championships, his leadership didnt carry others to victory. >>

Just because he was not the most fearsome power hitter, does not mean pitchers wanted to face him in the 9th inning. He was possibly the most intelligent hitter in the game, and an RBI machine. If there were men on base I can assure you pitchers did not want to pitch to him.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Not a chance in Hell. While he may have the numbers, he was never a dominating force. No pitcher ever stood on the mound in the bottom of the 9th, and was afraid to pitch to him. He defense didnt win championships, his leadership didnt carry others to victory. >>

Just because he was not the most fearsome power hitter, does not mean pitchers wanted to face him in the 9th inning. He was possibly the most intelligent hitter in the game, and an RBI machine. If there were men on base I can assure you pitchers did not want to pitch to him. >>

I didnt say that he had to be a fearsome power hitter. Boggs, Mattingly, even John Olerud....those were the more intelligent hitters in the game. Alomar is not in their class.
  • Options

Eckersley maybe should of feared him in the 92 ALCS when he turned the series around with a 9th inning blast off of him. He was the best player bar none on the 92 93 world championships with clutch hitting and unbelievable defense

• Options
    DaBigHurtDaBigHurt Posts: 1,066 ✭✭

<< <i>

I didnt say that he had to be a fearsome power hitter. Boggs, Mattingly, even John Olerud....those were the more intelligent hitters in the game. Alomar is not in their class. >>

You can't compare Roberto Alomar to those that played 1st or 3rd base. You have to compare him to 2nd basemen and there was no better all around 2nd basemen from 1988 until around 2000. Period. He absolutely dominated the position in baseball during this era and he didn't do roids. image

GO MARLINS! Home of the best fans in baseball!!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I didnt say that he had to be a fearsome power hitter. Boggs, Mattingly, even John Olerud....those were the more intelligent hitters in the game. Alomar is not in their class. >>

You can't compare Roberto Alomar to those that played 1st or 3rd base. You have to compare him to 2nd basemen and there was no better all around 2nd basemen from 1988 until around 2000. Period. He absolutely dominated the position in baseball during this era and he didn't do roids. image >>

I cant compare him to those guys? Why not? I'm comparing hitters, not defensive ability. The position someone plays is irrelevant when you are talking about hitting. Alomar was good, but he's no HOF'er

ps- DaBigHurt - let me also say kudos to your ability to create a post without the normal "PSA can do no wrong, I love PSA" mantra that you so often spew.
  • Options
    I agree you cannot compare him to other players at different positions especially 1st and 3rd base. Until just recently second base was not considered a hitting position but a defensive position. From 1988 to about 1999 he was the premier second baseman in both hitting and fielding. I can think of one HOFer second baseman that his hitting stats are alot better than and his fielding is similar.

I rememeber him as being a great cluch hitter in his prime I saw him get intentionally walked numerous times when the game was on the line so they could pitch to a bigger long ball threat because he was a very difficult out when the game was on the line.
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    A decade ago I would've said he's a lock. A lock for 3000 hits, a lock for that special shiny place in our hearts where "good guys" go, and a lock for the Hall. Then the spitting incident. I only saw it on TV once or twice, but from what I recall he didn't rear back and hock up a big one, it was more like spittle that came out in the force of an argument. But maybe he did it intentionally. I don't know. Either way, it wasn't a pretty image. After that, perception changed, both mine and the media's. And he started bouncing around four teams in 4 years, if you count TB. After 3 nice years in Cleveland, he went to the Mets where his average dropped 70 points and it never came back. His power was cut almost in half, and though he could still draw walks, that didn't help much with a fading batting eye. I would say that like Sandberg he's retiring too early, as he's only 37 with no major milestones. It says in the report on ESPN.com that his back and vision are becoming impaired and he looks like he wants to go out with some dignity rather than hang on long enough for 3000, which I'm sure TB would let him do.

In this age where Alfonso Soriano hits 40 homers as a second baseman, and Jeff Kent is a power-threat former MVP, it's tempting to look at Alomar and say he didn't do enough with the bat. But looking at his whole record, it's easy to see how his first 12 years shouldn't be overshadowed by his last 3. Ten Gold Gloves (we do honor defense for 2Bs, don't we?), four Silver Sluggers, twelve All-Star games, finished 3rd in MVP voting in 1999. Maybe not as dominant hitter as a second baseman like Sandberg was, he was more in the Joe Morgan mold where he was simply very, very good at everything. Two World Series rings don't hurt, either. Baseball-reference.com has him scored as a likely HOFer, and I'd have to agree. Maybe not first-ballot, and I think the writers will punish him for the spitting thing, though morality sure is pliable these days, but he's in.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    Only if Alomar could have learned to do a backflip while playing second base, Im sure he'd be a lock. It worked for at least one other infielder with below average offensive numbers (Lower than Roberto).
    Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    At this point 61 of us have voted...................based on our figures (67% said yes) Alomar will NOT be in the Hall Of Fame sincethe Hall requires 75%.
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    helionaut,

While I still dont agree with you, I did want to commend you on the stats you researched. It was very good reading. I guess we can agree to disagree.

Jim
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    My guess is that he'll get in the second, third or fourth time he's eligible. The spitting incident will hurt him. Part of the requirement is sportsmanship. Being the best at his position for an entire decade does make him HOF material.

I also agree that Biggio should get in, although being moved to OF will probably hurt him.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He was the best player bar none on the 92 93 world championships with clutch hitting and unbelievable defense >>

I know a few guys (Paul Molitor, Joe Carter and Rickey Henderson) who might disagree.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>He was the best player bar none on the 92 93 world championships with clutch hitting and unbelievable defense >>

I know a few guys (Paul Molitor, Joe Carter and Rickey Henderson) who might disagree. >>

Check Ricky's stats on the 93 team ( he went along for a free ride for 3 months). Paul Molitor DH & MVP of 93 World series was not on the 92 team. Joe Carter although clutch and a very valuable member of those teams didn't perform day in and day out like Alomar (his not garnering even 5% of the Hall of Fame vote his first year reflects this as well)

So if you can find another member of both the 1992 & 1993 Blue Jays that was more consistant and clutch than Alomar both defensively and offensively . Please note i'm only referring to the 2 championship teams of 92 93
  • Options
    How much you want to bet had Alomar played for the Yankees southerncards would be singing a different song.
  • Options
    Well, you are wrong about that. I dont think that just being a Yankee would have helped him out in my mind. But, the flip side is that perhaps he would have alot more to show for his career if he had been a Yankee.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I am an Orioles fan who used to never miss a game. Alomar was a fantastic all around player, the best second baseman I have ever seen. Jim Palmer, the HOF'er and Orioles commentator, has said on many occasions of Alomar, " I always said he is the best all around baseball player I have ever seen." Weigh in on that one.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    He is a sure bet.

If it took Sandberg three tries, it might take Alomar at least that many (might depend on who is competition is).

Id bet the farm on him. He was extremely good for an extremely long time.
  • Options
    Eight to ten years ago he looked to be in the running as the one of the best to ever play the position. But his career went into overdrive to mediocrity very quickly. He will probably get in though as his total amount of hits have to rank with the highest of all-time that played second base.
    Collecting vintage material, currently working on 1962 topps football set.
  • Options
    If Ozzie Smith deserves to be in the Hall, then Roberto Alomar sure does.

And both being in the Hall would be further proof that Andre Dawson is the most robbed player in history. impressive homerun total, impressive hit total, decent stolen bases, a higher average than Ozzie, and a higher fielding percentage than Ozzie. The Hawk is robbed year in and year out.
    I thought it was, and then it was.
  • Options
    Alomar is clearly a HoFer. One could easily argue that he was just as good as Carew or Morgan!
    On top of his 10 Gold Gloves he had 7 legit HoF years.
    No he wasn't feared like Mike Schmidt but he was feared like Carew,Boggs,Morgan.

• Options
    First ballot boyz... image

John.
    GB
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    how bout thatimage
  • Options
    RogermnjRogermnj Posts: 1,809 ✭✭
    I know every year in rotisserie baseball from 1991-1997 that i was a part of it he was always the 1st 2nd baseman picked.

The guy was great.
  • Options
    Yes. Should get in first ballot unless the writers hold the spitting incident against him. With all the roid heads out there it actually will help out the cleaner players get in faster or ever (see Jim Rice).
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's a first ballot hall of famer. He was the best 2b during his time.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    It wont suprise me if he is the list of the "OTHER" 103 names. If he isnt, I think he gets in the HOF.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    if he could have stuck in there for 276 more hits for 3,000 hits , mortal lock,he does have some intesting #;'s and awards
    12x All-Star selection (1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001)
    2x World Series champion (1992, 1993)
    10x Gold Glove Award winner (1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001)
    4x Silver Slugger Award winner (1992, 1996, 1999, 2000)
    1992 ALCS MVP
    1998 All-Star Game MVP
    Toronto Blue Jays Level of Excellence
  • Options
    He's in, probable first ballot, likely second ballot for the incident.