Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I'm in Johnstown, PA. So is John Sarosi.

I've heard good. I've heard bad. I've heard horrifying. Do I want to shop there?

Mojo
"I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
-Jim Morrison-
Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,506 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He has been discussed many times here and usually in a very unflatering manner. Do a search and enjoy. image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Good enough for me. Thanks!

Mojo
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They do a lot of volume, if you're local you might be able to cherrypick some decent stuff, varieties, etc. just be careful.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    Buyer bewareimage
    Just having fun.
  • Options
    Run. Far. Fast.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do they have a cover charge entrance to get into their shop? If not, what's the harm in visiting them? It's not like you have to buy something. If you know what your doing, you might find something.

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

<< <i>Do they have a cover charge entrance to get into their shop? If not, what's the harm in visiting them? It's not like you have to buy something. If you know what your doing, you might find something.

Lane >>

After your visit, let us know how you were treated. Like you said, what's the harm?

• Options
    MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    "I'm in Johnstown, PA. So is John Sarosi."

Therefore, you are John Sarosi!

Sorry, your title triggered a memory of a philosophy class I took in college called logic and language where a type of logic fallacy was taught based on the emample statement of "I am a man. Plato was a man. Therefore I am Plato".
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>After your visit, let us know how you were treated. Like you said, what's the harm? >>

Yeah...now how you are treated is an entirely different issue! image

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    "... if you're local you might be able to cherrypick some decent stuff, varieties, etc."

I'd be mighty careful. Please read the old thread about JPS which was revived elsewhere on this forum. It is one thing to try to cherrypick JPS on a public bourse, but it would be entirely another to try to do it on his own turf.

It would not be worth the bother to me. A word to the wise.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would just be very far away when I admitted I was cherrypicking. Just say no I'm not cherrypicking, this coin's just shinier than the othersimage
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    dlmtortsdlmtorts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭
    I went to one of these mega dealers - not Saroski. I expected a huge coin shop. What I found was a mail order warehouse with no coins on display. I askef for a copy of their latest advertising material and saw a 1932-S quarter in "premium" uncirculated condition advertised for $379. I asked if I could see the coin because if it was truly uncirculated I was going to buy it. They checked in the back and told me to come back the next day because it wasn't "ready" yet and it would take them some time to get it "ready"!!!! I asked if I could see it before they got it "ready" and was refused. I ran and never looked back!!!!
  • Options

You can always try something once and see how it goes; maybe you were born under a lucky star.

Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to read his ads in CoinWorld and think wow, he has lots of nice collector coins priced right....but before I placed any mail orders, I saw him set up at Central States...boy was I disappointed. Everything was over graded.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

<< <i>I went to one of these mega dealers - not Saroski. I expected a huge coin shop. What I found was a mail order warehouse with no coins on display. I askef for a copy of their latest advertising material and saw a 1932-S quarter in "premium" uncirculated condition advertised for $379. I asked if I could see the coin because if it was truly uncirculated I was going to buy it. They checked in the back and told me to come back the next day because it wasn't "ready" yet and it would take them some time to get it "ready"!!!! I asked if I could see it before they got it "ready" and was refused. I ran and never looked back!!!! >>

Maybe they were in the process of adding the luster back to the coin. image

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Maybe they were in the process of adding the luster back to the coin. image >>

Yes, I understand that can be done quite easily now image
  • Options
    He had a table at the Hanover, PA show a few years back. He did not do much business.
  • Options
    Maybe I'll just go in, let him be a snot to me, flash a wad and say "Big mistake." and walk out. You know, Pretty Woman style.

Mojo
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

• Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Just a question, nothing towards the store mentioned:

If you saw buy ads in back of the Numismatist buying choice XF/AU type, then a month later a big CW/NN 2 pager with " select BU" type for sale, would you want to shop there?
    Again, nothing implied of said seller or store.........just a random thought. It is constant.
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe I'll just go in, let him be a snot to me, flash a wad and say "Big mistake." and walk out. You know, Pretty Woman style.

Mojo >>

That would be a smooooth move. image
    Let them know that you have some disposable cash!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file