Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone recommend a coin dealer/shop in San Diego...Thx

ZubieZubie Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭
New to coin collecting and looking for a coin dealer/shop in San Diego.

Thanks, Tim
Positive BST Transactions with:
Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123

Comments

• Options
    First of all welcome to the boards and to the world of coin collecting.

After 40+ years I can honestly say that I still enjoy it as a hobby and I have been making a living dealing in coins for the last 20 years................so have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am in the Houston Texas area but you should get some feedback from members in So Cal................good luck
    Fountain of Useless Information
  • Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    John Franklin Coins, 7710 Balboa Ave #111, San Diego (858) 278-6671

John's been in business a long time and is extremely honest.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    The "Old Coin Shop" in the El Cajon area is pretty good, I think. I haven't been there in a while. I dunno if it's still there. But they always treated me well and have a good inventory. They are on El Cajon Blvd right off Texas St.

I agree with the previous post too. John Franklin coins are very good. I've done business with them too and they are very friendly too.

• Options
    TonedCoinTraderTonedCoinTrader Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭
    Hello Fellow Charger Fan!

Welcome to the Boards. image

Carlsbad Coins is a nice shop to go to.

Escondido coin is ok if you like lower priced collector coins.

Scott

Toned Coins for sale @ tonedcointrader.com
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    California numismatic funding in Vista has a large inventory, in all price ranges
  • Options
    ZubieZubie Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭✭
    Perfect...thanks guys. John Franklin and the Old Coin shop are not too far from me. I'll check those out this week.

Thanks again, Tim
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    Overdate, BestMR, Weather11AM, TDEC1000, Carew4me, BigMarty58, Coinsarefun, Golfer72, UnknownComic, DMarks, JFoot13, ElKevvo, Truthteller, Duxbutt, TwoSides2aCoin, PerryHall, mhammerman, Papabear, Wingsrule, WTCG, MillerJW, Ciccio, zrlevin, dantheman984, tee135, jdimmick, gsa1fan, jmski52, SUMORADA, guitarwes, bstat1020, pitboss, meltdown, Schmitz7, 30AnvZ28, pragmaticgoat, wondercoin & MkMan123
  • Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭
    Any opinions from the forum on Cellar Coin?

Thanks
    Zircon Cases - Protect Your Vintage Slabs www.ZirconCases.com
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭
    3 years ago I was in SD for a 2 week training. On a Saturday, I was so bored, looked around and was happy to find the San Diego Coin & Bullion shop at 7420 Clairemont Mesa BLVD. The owner was very friendly and helpful. Most of his coins were nice for the grade (PQ), reasonably priced. As a result, I walked about with 3 PCGS Morgan & Peace silver dollars. There were a few semi-PL Morgan dollars that I liked but thought I should save them for my next visit. image

To make it short, the owner is trust worthy, pleasant to deal with, whom I would recommend anytime, any day.

Good luck hunting.

• Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭✭
    As a follow up, thank you very much Rarity for your recommendation. The San Diego Coin and Bullion shop is an excellent coin shop. They have a nice selection(always a plus) and an excellent group of people working there (which is a huge plus IMHO). Like you said, the owner is excellent to deal with in every respect. I will definitely try to visit again sometime.
    Zircon Cases - Protect Your Vintage Slabs www.ZirconCases.com
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>3 years ago I was in SD for a 2 week training. On a Saturday, I was so bored, looked around and was happy to find the San Diego Coin & Bullion shop at 7420 Clairemont Mesa BLVD. The owner was very friendly and helpful. Most of his coins were nice for the grade (PQ), reasonably priced. As a result, I walked about with 3 PCGS Morgan & Peace silver dollars. There were a few semi-PL Morgan dollars that I liked but thought I should save them for my next visit. image

To make it short, the owner is trust worthy, pleasant to deal with, whom I would recommend anytime, any day.

Good luck hunting.

image >>

I completely agree. Chad at San Diego Coin & Bullion is a true gentleman and runs a trusted operation. I'm pretty sure they are now linked with a coin shop in La Jolla, about 10 min away from the Clairemont shop. My grandfather knew his father or uncle or whomever started the shop a long while back. I don't frequent as a return customer to B&M shops very often, but I love how fair and helpful Chad has been to me over the last 5 or 6 years, since I first set foot in his shop. It's not a big store by any means, but it feels like home when I'm there, and I have found myself there every couple weeks as of late.

P.S. I have done a little business with Cellar Coin in Pacific Beach, and they seemed nice and fair aswell. They have been in business for a long time to, family owned like SD Coin & Bullion.

P.P.S. I realize this thread is way old, but the topic is valid still stands for shoppers in San Diego, CA and that is why I posted in it

Erik

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file