Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

It looks like the new Charlotte Gold Coin book is now available at Zyrus Press

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
I was taking a look at the Zyrus Press website, and it looks like the new Doug Winter book on Charlotte Gold is now available. Will anyone here by buying it (except, of course, for our very own CharlotteDude)?

Now Available! $39.95

New in this expanded 3rd edition of Gold Coins of the Charlotte Mint is up-to-date information on rarity estimates, surviving specimens, and condition census. This book analyzes each issue for Strike, Surfaces, Luster and Color. Douglas Winter also offers his personal expert advice and observations, and a brief overview of die varieties for all C Mint Gold Dollars, Quarter Eagles and Half Eagles from 1838 to 1861. His latest work is complete with the history of the Mint and hundreds of full color gold coin images. This book is a gem that goes hand-in-hand with the Charlotte minted gold coins themselves.

ISBN-10: 1-933990-19-8
ISBN-13: 978-1-933990-19-4
Edition: 3rd
Publication Year: January 2009
Binding / Size: Paperback 7x10
Photos / Illustrations: 150+ full color images
Pages: 200
Case Qty: 30

Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will be buying one.

As a new resident of North Carolina, I intend to buy one nice Charlotte gold piece for type. I have no idea what to buy or where to start so I will buy the book first.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    image I asked Doug to reserve me one of his limited edition hardcover copies so I just got an e-mail from him and sent a check for $75, I've already got his first edition Dahlonega hardcover and his first edition Carson City gold hardcover which Doug gave me for free after purchasing an NGC AU-50 1870-cc eagle from him back in 2002.
    I also got a free copy of Rusty Goe's hardcover "The Mint On Carson Street" ( #581 out of 1,000) after I purchased a nice prooflike PCGS AU-55 1891-cc double eagle from Doug when he was at Pinnacle.
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭
    Can anyone who has this book confirm if there is a nod to the Rutherfordton Bechtler issue.......would like to know

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image I asked Doug to reserve me one of his limited edition hardcover copies so I just got an e-mail from him and sent a check for $75, I've already got his first edition Dahlonega hardcover and his first edition Carson City gold hardcover which Doug gave me for free after purchasing an NGC AU-50 1870-cc eagle from him back in 2002.
    I also got a free copy of Rusty Goe's hardcover "The Mint On Carson Street" ( #581 out of 1,000) after I purchased a nice prooflike PCGS AU-55 1891-cc double eagle from Doug when he was at Pinnacle. >>

Wow, Norseman, you have some killer coins!!

I saw the book at DW's table at FUN, and it is an improvement when compared to the other recent ones. I do not recall it having a section on Bechtlers but highly doubt it.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of plugs for Doug Winter lately, first his site is down (so everyone looked), now this... BTW Longacre what discount % do you get imageimageimage
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    I'm also curious to see what he has to say about the 1861-C half eagle and the 1840-C "Broad Mill" half eagle as these are the only Charlotte coins I currently own. The Broad Mill is interesting as the last time I checked there were only two coins slabbed and I had the highest graded one in an NGC- XF-45 holder.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>image I asked Doug to reserve me one of his limited edition hardcover copies so I just got an e-mail from him and sent a check for $75, I've already got his first edition Dahlonega hardcover and his first edition Carson City gold hardcover which Doug gave me for free after purchasing an NGC AU-50 1870-cc eagle from him back in 2002.
    I also got a free copy of Rusty Goe's hardcover "The Mint On Carson Street" ( #581 out of 1,000) after I purchased a nice prooflike PCGS AU-55 1891-cc double eagle from Doug when he was at Pinnacle. >>

Wow, Norseman, you have some killer coins!!

I saw the book at DW's table at FUN, and it is an improvement when compared to the other recent ones. I do not recall it having a section on Bechtlers but highly doubt it. >>

Correction I HAD some killer coins, I traded the 1870-cc eagle in to Doug on a PCGS MS-61 1848-D/D half eagle which later Doug helped me get into an MS-62 holder and cash. I used the cash and 1891-cc double eagle to purchase Silver and Palladium bullion and later I sold the 1848-D/D but hey I got to enjoy these wonderful coins for awhile and now someone else gets to enjoy them.
    I guess that's the beauty of coin collecting, if you have the cash and something you really want comes along then you have the opportunity to be the caretaker of a little piece of history until it's time to sell then someone else gets their turn.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm also curious to see what he has to say about the 1861-C half eagle and the 1840-C "Broad Mill" half eagle as these are the only Charlotte coins I currently own. The Broad Mill is interesting as the last time I checked there were only two coins slabbed and I had the highest graded one in an NGC- XF-45 holder. >>

Norseman88, do you have pics of the 1840-C? I'd love to see it.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm also curious to see what he has to say about the 1861-C half eagle and the 1840-C "Broad Mill" half eagle as these are the only Charlotte coins I currently own. The Broad Mill is interesting as the last time I checked there were only two coins slabbed and I had the highest graded one in an NGC- XF-45 holder. >>

Norseman88, do you have pics of the 1840-C? I'd love to see it. >>

There have been several requests to see some of my stuff so it looks like I'll have to get a digital camera. I'm kind of intimidated by some of you and your ability to take superb pictures.
    I will post a picture of my 1840-C Broad Mill but until then I can tell you that I bought the coin from Doug Winter when he worked at Pinnacle, at the time of purchase the coin resided in a PCGS XF-45 holder and bore many similarities to an NGC AU-50 1840-0 Broad Mill half eagle I'd purchased from Doug a year before. Once the coin arrived I compared the coins closely and determined that it was quite possibly a Broad Mill coin so I shipped it back to Doug and he submitted it to NGC where it wound up in the correct holder. It's to bad that PCGS doesn't recognize these important varieties as I would've left the coin in a PCGS holder to have the variety designated.
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    I'm also curious to see what he has to say about the 1861-C half eagle and the 1840-C "Broad Mill" half eagle as these are the only Charlotte coins I currently own. The Broad Mill is interesting as the last time I checked there were only two coins slabbed and I had the highest graded one in an NGC- XF-45 holder.

Well, he says that all the 1840-C half eagles that he's seen are "broad mill" or large diameter. He does acknowledge that NGC has begun to designate some examples as Large Diameter, but he doesn't know what makes those coins different from "regular" 1840-C half eagles.

Unfortunately, I can't comment on what he says about the 1861-C half eagle, as that section was incomplete in the draft of the book that I edited. (Well, he did say that there is one variety - with three die states - known.)

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Longacre already outed me... I sent my $75 to Doug earlier this week. Expect to find it in the mail any day now... that is, unless the USPS goes down to a 2-day work week!

C'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    My hardbound copy arrived today! image

I've only just flipped through it so far, but I really like the way the binding allows the book to lie flat when it's open.

Lots of nice color pictures - with close-ups of the varieties.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll be buying one as soon as I can get it through Barnes & Noble.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file