Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1962 Topps Baseball Registry - #441 variation added?

I'm slowly becoming active again with my 1962 Topps Registry Set. While enjoying some of the other collections, I noticed that a new variation must have been added -- #441 Checklist 430-506 (Large Print) and #441 Checklist 430-506 (Small Print). This must be the card that is preventing everyone from having a 100% completion rate.

Just curious if anyone knows if this is the case and, if so, when was this variation discovered and added to the Set?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike, I noticed that too but I don't know too much about it.
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Well, I just scanned the pair, from my raw set; but I can't figure out how to post the image.

Nick

• Options
    HoofHeartedHoofHearted Posts: 2,537 ✭✭

<< <i>Well, I just scanned the pair, from my raw set; but I can't figure out how to post the image.

Nick >>

Hi, Nick,

Below is a link to an old thread on how to post a picture using (free!) PhotoBucket. Things have changed somewhat with PhotoBucket, but the basic principle is the same. Hope it helps.

How to post a picture

BTW, you've got both versions of that checklist?! I guess I should check my raw set and see if I can tell what I've got. I don't have a graded version yet.

Thank you!
  • Options

<< <i>Mike, I noticed that too but I don't know too much about it. >>

Thanks, Don. Things have really changed with the Registry Set webpages. I was able to go in and look at the history of my set(s) as I made updates. I noticed that over the years the 1962 Topps Master baseball set has gone from 599 cards to 613. New variations are being discovered and added fairly regularly. Keeps things interesting, that's for sure!

• Options

Finally! Herre are the two different CLs

Nick

• Options
    I just posted the photos, guys...they're in the response right before this new one

Nick
  • Options

<< <i>I just posted the photos, guys...they're in the response right before this new one

Nick >>

Awesome, Nick! Thank you for taking the time to scan and post the variations. Now I can check out what I've got and fill in the hole in my registry set!
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to see you back at it Mike!
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Finally! Herre are the two different CLs

Nick

image >>

Great pictures. I never knew there was that card.
    " In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    I've seen the scans, what is the difference ? Is it that the "C" in checklist is closer to the box ? Please reply. Thanks Mike
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Look at the print on the "6th Series Topps Baseball". On the image on the right, the font looks as if it is in bold.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    and the #'s and player names are a bit bolder too.
  • Options
    I finally got a raw small-print #441. It's in great shape and is going to get graded soon.

I key on the size and centering of the numbers in relation to the boxes.

A large print PSA 7 just went for way above SMR ($12) in this eBay auction...
  • Options
    Uh, oh. I believe I've discovered that there are FOUR variations of the 1962 Topps 6th Series Checklist, #441.

I recently obtained a PSA 7 version of what PSA says is a Small Print variation, but it's only partially true. I bought a raw version which I also thought was small print, but it's only partially that -- in the reverse way of the graded version I have. When my scans are compared to Nick's scans, it becomes readily apparent what the differences are.

I'm not sure it's worth trying to get these listed in the Master Set Registry, especially since it's been so difficult to get the Green Tint variations listed...
  • Options
    I am new to this forum and been reading all of the posts regarding the 1962 baseball set. I did now this card about this card, when I put together a raw set in the 80's. I did include the picture variations, however, I did not distinguish between green tint on non-tint versions. Now I need to find the small version of this checklist.

Complete not Graded as of yet
    1962 Topps Baseball Set
    1962 Panel Stamp Set (245)
    62 Empty Wax Box & Wrapper Set

Looking for 1962 Salesmen Samples
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    The 441 CL variation has been listed in the SCD Standard Catalog for some time. It notes that the "Checklist" is larger in one version. The print of the players names on the larger version also tends to be bolder. I first saw this variation listed by Dick Gilkeson in his book on variations back in 1989.

SCD also lists variations for CL 1 (# 22), CL 3 (192) and 7 ( #516), which I think are all well recognized.

But Gilkeson also noted variations in CL 2 (#98), CL 4 ( #277) and CL 5 (#367). ) He said all three of these can be found in both light or dark wood. I do have examples of 98 and 277 where the wood coloring is noticeably different. I have never found an example of 367. The differences could be fading or they could exist to some extent in all these cards, and are are not likely to ever be formally recognized
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    In a previous post on 1/3/10 I alluded to another variation of this checklist. Here is a scan of the small-print header/large-print body. Note how the player names are almost half-way up the boxes. On the scans Nick posted on 1/18/10, the large-print header has the player names in the same position -- different from the small-print header/small-print body he displayed.

I'm sure this is not worth pursuing as far as getting them recognized as official variations...