Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Any update on ICG after their move to Florida? Is ICG going to survive?

orevilleoreville Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
Any update on ICG after their move to Florida? Is ICG going to survive?

Will ICG be at the FUN show for real?

Reason:
I need to get some medals slabbed and PCGS and NGC will not slab them.

I only have ANACS and ICG to choose from.
A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Any update on ICG after their move to Florida? Is ICG going to survive?

Will ICG be at the FUN show for real? >>

With all due respect (and I'm not sure how much is due to ICG at this point) ... does it really matter?

After all... they are now nothing more than a watered down version of a watered down ANACS... and apparently destined to be a marketing tool of the owning entity...

As far as I am concerned, they are now as relevant as PCI... if you catch my drift... image
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    Their booth remained empty for the duration of the Houston Money show in early Dec.
  • Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    Do I hear a great big, "who gives a darn"??? image
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who?
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭
    I have a few ICG coins that were slabbed a few years ago. Is there a way to differentiate them from coins slabbed in the past year?
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    Good light and a loupe.
  • Options
    PawPaulPawPaul Posts: 5,845
    I Can't Grade
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cameron worked at ICG for awhile and as far as I know he was a competent grader.
  • Options
    tmcsr69tmcsr69 Posts: 1,307

<< <i>There is only PCGS and NGC and CAC that command respect, anything else is bath waterimage >>

Personally I would narrow this list down to two.
    Crazy old man from Missouri
  • Options
    IM surprised they lasted this long with all those 70 MS and 70DCAMs everyother coin was graded better tha than the last...
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    Home Shopping Channel needed IGC to supply them with a bottomless pit of over graded coins so the fleecing of the workingman could continue.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need to get some medals slabbed and PCGS and NGC will not slab them.

I only have ANACS and ICG to choose from.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I need to get some medals slabbed and PCGS and NGC will not slab them.

I only have ANACS and ICG to choose from. >>

NGC seems to be taking the lead in slabbing more and more medals, including some that aren't listed in HK and other guides. While they don't seem to have allowed anything like ICG, you may want to give them a shot.
  • Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlanSki said:
    Why are these necro threads being resurrected?

Trolling (intentional or otherwise) by one particular board member.

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlanSki said:
    Why are these necro threads being resurrected?

It is the Necro Monger way!

Sorry just my silly humor.

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 562 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another worthless thread that should have been put to death in 2009.

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

The correct answer to the title of this 2009 thread revived in 2024 turns out to be - - yes.

What's next on the on thread revival tour?

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    mikee999mikee999 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erscolo said:
    Another worthless thread that should have been put to death in 2009.

Any mods willing to step up and freeze this thread?

• Options
    mikee999mikee999 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last comment before it gets axed.

ICG = “I Can’t Grade.”

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2024 6:30AM

I don't know the full story, frankly I found the old holders better aesthetically. It looks like they are upgrading operations with software so submitters can track their submission online. At this point their system is a lot slower due to the changes.

• Options
    Insider3Insider3 Posts: 260 ✭✭✭

@mikee999 said:

ICG = “I Can’t Grade.”

I started a thread about words the TPGS initials could stand for because they are funny. Additionally, all the "fly-by-night" services copy their names as close as they can such as PCG = Personal Coin Graders. I made up funny phrases for all the major TPGS beginning with ICG and asked members to come up with more humor. The thread was deleted before anyone could post. :'(

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mikee999 said:

ICG = “I Can’t Grade.”

Sure they can! 😉

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

They, like all the others, have their niche. They have great customer service. They'll be fine.

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, did they survive? Does anyone here really care?

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2024 7:27PM

I sold 3 ICG coins at a show setup at last week. Inexpensive stuff under $50. Nice coins.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since we have an ICG grader who is currently on staff here posting, maybe they could share some of their hurt feelings about all the abuse they have gotten over the years and how he deals with it? They shouldn't be like Rodney Dangerfield who was famous for saying that he "gets no respect"! All the hard work, trying to do the right thing, living through decades of service to numismatics with the eye strain and many other challenges must be quite a test.

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have found the folks at ICG to be very friendly. I may have them slab a few counterfeits for me. I find it cool that they set up at the Fun Show each year and give out free opinions. They help a lot of people understand what they have. I believe they will be around for a long time to come. I also believe that they are really good with conservation.

Larry

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

I own about two dozen George II and George III counterfeit halfpennies, all slabbed. All but one are attributed to American counterfeiters and are in PCGS and NGC slabs. One isn't attributed, but is likely of English origin. It's in an ICG slab with the "crime scene" presentation, but it's encased and protected. I appreciate the extra service.

• Options

When they call you unsolicited, out of the blue, to give you a detailed update on your submission; is all you need to know I'll be a customer forever!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MWallace said:
    ICG grades at least two things none of the other three do.

Encased postage stamps. I love that my one and only example is holdered (protected), and attributed to it's EP #.

Counterfeit coins. Encased for educational purposes and clearly marked as counterfeit. I'm sure that some may not like this but contemporary counterfeits are highly collectible. Especially so in series such as Bust Halves. PCGS and PMG holder counterfeit notes. Secondly, by being holdered and labeled as fake, they are off the marked to be sold as genuine. And yes, I know, they can be taken out of the holder.

Tag: @OAKSTAR @Insider3

They also encapsulate all/most Moonlight Mint pieces which the big3 do not. Although ANACS is the more preffered service for his work by far.

The more you VAM..
  • Options

P.S. No problem resurrecting old threads from where I sit. As long as they give some value added.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file