Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Ancient fans, what am I bid?

Highlights from the forthcoming Gemini V auction:

Sicily, Syracuse. Ca. 405–400 BC. Silver decadrachm (43.19 gm). Signed on the reverse by Kimon. Estimate $65,000
imageimage

Sicily. Syracuse. Silver tetradrachm (17.21 gm). Sicily, Syracuse, Ca. 430 BC. Slow quadriga right, above Nike flying right to crown horses.
estimate $45,000
imageimage

Julian of Pannonia. (284-285 AD). Gold aureus (5.12 gm). Siscia. IMP C IVLIANVS P F AVG, bust laureate, draped, cuirassed right, seen from front / LIBERTAS PVBLICA, Libertas standing left, holding cap and cornucopia, star in right field. If not for the small graffito in the right obverse field, this probably would be the finest known example of this great rarity. Mint state.
Estimate $48,000
imageimage

Trajan Decius. (249-251 AD). Orichalcum double sestertius (40.49 gm). Rome.
Estimate $12,000
imageimage

Septimius Severus. (193-211 AD). Gold aureus (7.26 gm). Rome
Estimate $40,000
imageimage

M. Brutus, struck by L. Plaetorius Cestianus. Silver denarius (3.50 gm). Military mint, 43-42 BC. Bare head of Brutus right, BRVT IMP above, L PLAET CEST behind / Pileus (cap of Liberty) flanked by two daggers. (This is one of the few ancient coin types to be mentioned by a contemporary historian: Dio Cassius in his Roman History (xlvii.25) states that Brutus “struck coins on which were represented a liberty cap and two daggers, to show by this design and also by the inscription that he had, in concert with Cassius, given liberty to his country”.)
Estimated $48,000
imageimage

And then just some others that caught my eye...

imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage

http://www.geminiauction.com/
We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Those are definitely some drool-worthy coins! image

Amazing quality pics too... I'd really love to know what kind of set up these auction houses use, especially on the bronzes. Ancients are always harder for me to shoot accurately.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That owl is fantastic. So are the Syracusian coins.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Julian of Pannonia. (284-285 AD). Gold aureus (5.12 gm). Siscia. IMP C IVLIANVS P F AVG, bust laureate, draped, cuirassed right, seen from front / LIBERTAS PVBLICA, Libertas standing left, holding cap and cornucopia, star in right field. If not for the small graffito in the right obverse field, this probably would be the finest known example of this great rarity. Mint state.
    Estimate $48,000
    imageimage

I want to hurt whoever did that. That X kills me.
  • Options

<< <i>I want to hurt whoever did that. That X kills me. >>

Quintus Flavius fecit.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    COWABUNGA! I'll bid my left arm AND leg! image

You can have my eyeballs, too. They're no good anymore anyhow, particularly after seeing all of that.

imageimageimage

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those Gemini auction images simply cannot be beat in my opinion.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wisht my eyes and credit card hadn't seen that auction link. I collect coins from Syracuse as an aside and found a really really nice example of something I want on there. Betwixt this and Triton XII January might be my Christmas if I don't get outbid.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just be glad they've apparently removed lot 604...

Pergamum 334 BC. Gold Stater. Head of young Heracles right in lion skin headdress/Facing Palladium wearing calthus. Ultra high relief on both obverse and reverse. Cf. von Fritze 100 greatest ancient coins. Stunning mint state.
    Estimate $140,000.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame